My daughter's first game

I’m WAY more excited about it than she is. lol. I think I’m wearing my better half out talking about it. Gonna do everything I can to make it a special experience so she wants to go every year. I’d be willing to bet your dad felt the same way. Sorry for your loss brother.
You are doing it right. She is going to go through some tough situations and experiences in life, and you want her to know that no matter what she can come to you and can count on you. Mine have, and I know it was made possible by making it about her and us when they were little girls.

ENJOY! I have 2 Daughters. One is a UGA Grad, so she & her Mother are Dawgs. My other daughter and I are ALL VOL!!! A TRUE "House Divided" for the last 15+ many years.

However, to this day...my daughter and I attend as many games as possible, (last year 5) and she is 30+...it has LONG been OUR Daddy/Daughter activity together...which EVERY year I cherish more and more...and find myself emotional EVERY gameday we have together...as I know there are MANY more behind me than in FRONT of me...

E N J O Y!!!!

We took our daughter to her first game last year. It was the Austin Peay game. Smokey didn’t run the through the T and it truly upset her. She lasted until about midway through the 3rd quarter. We took her to the UTC game this year and she dressed as a cheerleader and loved the atmosphere. The real Smokey was there and she didn’t want to leave. I take her because these are memories I’ll never forget and I hope she doesn’t either! Go Vols, brother! Enjoy!

I'll have to check on the Vol Village. Since it's a night game, we were wondering what we could do that would be fun throughout the day.

Yeah I've been to enough big games. Didn't want to bust her ear drums for her first game. lol. 2015 Oklahoma dang near busted mine.
Just to avoid any hearing damage! If she can tolerate ear plugs with the muffs, even better. Of course, she won’t be able to hear squat! She’ll be able to feel the stadium though.

I think you’re doing it right by taking her to a smaller game. There used to be a Volunteer Village or something like that close to the stadium there where they have a lot of kids activities. Idk if they still do that or not but if so that’s one thing you could do. I always tried to go walk down by the river a bit as well and check out the Vol Navy. Idk if she would be into that. I think if you take them to these smaller games and make it mostly about them they’re more likely to want to go back and cherish those memories. Wait till they’re older to take them to the Bama and Florida type games.
I agree. She would not see the field in any SEC game. She may see some 4th quarter snaps this weekend

Last edited:
Saturday, I'll be taking my 6 year old daughter to her first game. I'm not posting this for any other reason than sharing a special dad moment with my Volnation brethren and sistren.
My daughter doesn't get overly excited about football and her attention span is all of about 5 minutes before she starts playing with her toys or whatever else she can find to occupy her 6 year old brain, but she almost always stays in the living room with me and sometimes sits next to me on the couch while I'm watching our beloved Vols play. She's my game buddy.

The day has finally come that I can take her to experience her first game day in Knoxville. It will be a day of shopping to find the perfect game day attire for her, tailgaiting, Vol walk, watching our Vols run through the T, singing Rocky Top over and over, and finally watching the Big Orange come away with a win.

My hope is that this becomes an annual tradition. That she enjoys it so much she can't wait to go back again next year. That she loves the Vols as much as I do or at least loves going because she gets to spend the day with her dad watching the team that I love.

For any parents out there that took your kid to their first game, how was it? Did you make it a tradition? Did they light up watching all of the cool traditions? Any recommendations?

View attachment 675416
I have a daughter that's a freshman at UT this year. She posted a week ago after the UTC game she went to. A VFL post with a picture of her very young and then now at games. I took the kids to games when they were little. We didn't have high expectations. We got ice cream, pizza, watched the game, met Smokey a time or 2. Over the years, we pushed to stay past half time. Then full games. There were also games we left at half time because she just wasn't interested. Now, she didn't put in for tickets for Kent State trying to get Florida tickets. I told her it would be a special experience and she should push for that. She's also content to watch the games with friends if the stadium doesn't work out. My suggestion is to temper expectations of it all. I have 0 regrets taking my kids to games and not having the "Sit there and shut up and love TN football!" mentality.

Saturday, I'll be taking my 6 year old daughter to her first game. I'm not posting this for any other reason than sharing a special dad moment with my Volnation brethren and sistren.
My daughter doesn't get overly excited about football and her attention span is all of about 5 minutes before she starts playing with her toys or whatever else she can find to occupy her 6 year old brain, but she almost always stays in the living room with me and sometimes sits next to me on the couch while I'm watching our beloved Vols play. She's my game buddy.

The day has finally come that I can take her to experience her first game day in Knoxville. It will be a day of shopping to find the perfect game day attire for her, tailgaiting, Vol walk, watching our Vols run through the T, singing Rocky Top over and over, and finally watching the Big Orange come away with a win.

My hope is that this becomes an annual tradition. That she enjoys it so much she can't wait to go back again next year. That she loves the Vols as much as I do or at least loves going because she gets to spend the day with her dad watching the team that I love.

For any parents out there that took your kid to their first game, how was it? Did you make it a tradition? Did they light up watching all of the cool traditions? Any recommendations?

View attachment 675416

She has already become a LVFL judging from those pom poms.

Unless you're rich, I'd wait until she was older. She may want to leave before the end of the first quarter.
Maybe try Maryville College or Tusculum first....

Last edited:
@5FingerVolPunch, consider changing your avi to reflect your girl dad status.
It's actually nothing to do with thinking she's hot. You had to be in the Gruden threads to understand. It's an inside joke. I'll probably change it soon though. Wouldn't want anyone getting the wrong idea like you just did. Thanks for caring about my business though.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

View attachment 675416
Love this!

View attachment 675416

Do you already have tickets?

View attachment 675416
Adorable!! Hope you all have a great time!

Volunteer Village
Vol Walk
For pictures, Try to get her to meet:
The real Smokey
The fake Smokey
The Cheerleaders
During game she will get a little bored. Make sure she has an I-Pad or something to watch or draw on.
At halftime - unless she’s already too tired and wants to leave- walk her around the inside concourse and buy her something from the souvenir shop.

VN Store

Back