My Thoughts on the Citrus Bowl, After Sleeping On It

Yes. He’s responsible. So he should discuss with them if he thinks bad decisions were made.

You’re saying he should micromanage during games. That’s not the same thing as being responsible. The head coach can’t make every decision during a game. Doesn’t work that way.
The head coach can’t decide during a game that he thinks his future should get a bit of playing time? Come on now.

A football team may not be thousands of people, but it is still a complex organism.

The head coach has 10 assistant coaches, a half dozen other direct reports like the director of football operations and so on, plus dozens or scores of GAs, analysts, support personnel, strength & conditioning, nutrition, medical support, and on and on. On top of all that, he has 125 student athletes he's responsible for. Call it maybe 200-250 people, all totalled.

Command responsibility is one thing, direct responsibility is another. Want to know who to blame: command responsibility. Want to know what really happened? Dig into direct responsibility.

Josh heupel is the top leader, sure. But he's not the one making each and every decision in that organization. Tons of decisions are being made every day, by dozens of subordinate leaders. And Heupel is teaching them all how to lead better. Every day.

That's reality.

Go Vols!
All true but still not relevant in this situation. These coaches spend countless hours game planning and discussing for each week. They had how long before this bowl game? Every opportunity was there for a discussion of “at what point should we spread the playing time”? And I guarantee you that convo was had. It’s not like a timeout that is on the fly. They planned for this game for a month. If our young guys didn’t get time they needed it is 100% on heupel and that decision was made long before the game started.

Last time I slept on a citrus bowl, a gift from Nanna Bannana Nose (our Grammy), I woke up with skin that looked like orange peel. With a hint of lemon.

VN Store

Back