Names of interest to replace Jerry Mack

VOL Outlaw

Oregon's Carlos Locklyn and TCU's Anthony Jones Jr., per Patrick Brown.

Case in point is the running backs coach job: They aren’t the only candidates and the Vols may not be done looking, but the two names we’ve continued to hear the most and are worth watching at this point are Oregon’s Carlos Locklyn and TCU’s Anthony Jones%20Jr., who oddly have similar backgrounds as teammates at Chattanooga and high school coaches in Memphis. They worked together at Memphis after stints together at two of the city’s high schools, Westwood and Cordova.
Jones, a high school head coach at alma mater Westwood and Cordova, spent four seasons (2018-21) as the running backs coach at Memphis when the Tigers produced a quartet of NFL Draft picks in Kenneth Gainwell, Antonio Gibson, Darrell Henderson and Tony Pollard. He moved to TCU ahead of the 2022 season, when the Horned Frogs reached the national championship game during a magical season. Jones’s two running backs from that season (Kendre Miller, a third-round pick, and Emari Demercado) played in the NFL in 2023 and last season’s top rusher Emani Bailey is a current draft prospect.
Locklyn went from high school offensive coordinator at Trezevant, Westwood, Manassas and Cordova in Memphis to three seasons with the Tigers as a weight room assistant, an offensive analyst and the director of high school relations. Mike Norvell took Locklyn with him to Florida State in the same role for the 2020 season before Locklyn got his first on-field coaching role as the running backs coach at Western Kentucky in 2021. When Dan Lanning was hired as the head coach at Oregon, he tabbed Locklyn as his running backs coach – they were at Memphis together for the 2017 season.

Locklyn is an excellent recruiter....one area where Mack was lacking.
Gonna have to disagree, we’ve done really well in Memphis & the Carolinas, Mack’s primary areas… he doesn’t just recruit running backs (which we have done well recruiting since he arrived ..) he has been a very good recruiter…

I’m far more interested in who we’re getting at linebacker. We already know we’re scoring points, but we’ve gotta improve on defense if we truly wanna be championship level.
Very difficult to read that one. With it being this close to spring practice and a hire likely coming from Banks contact tree, it may really be a surprise and unexpected name.

Which one fits our system the best locklyn or jones jr
Jones from TCU fits our system better, but hearing Locklyn is the better recruiter.

My opinion is take the guy that fits your offense, win a lot of games, and recruiting will be easier because the good backs that want to make a name and win will show up.

Jones from TCU fits our system better, but hearing Locklyn is the better recruiter.

My opinion is take the guy that fits your offense, win a lot of games, and recruiting will be easier because the good backs that want to make a name and win will show up.
Sounds like we want go wrong with either one of them which is a good sign

I am keeping my fingers crossed for "Locklyn" but won't be disappointed if we end up with Jones from TCU or Smith from Ark...

I just feel like Locklyn checks the most boxes, in terms of filling the role/gap left behind from Jerry Mack, tough coach, but loves his guys, communicates well, ties to Memphis, and southeast, both a good recruiters but Locklyn may be an upgrade, I just get a very similar vibe from Locklyn as I did with Mack, just a little more energetic and passionate.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols

VN Store

Back