Napoleon

Sounds like I'm wrong. Mixed reviews. The guys in the Big Picture didn't put it in Scott's top 10 movies (which is a hell of a list) but it was right on the cusp.
If this movie is right on the cusp of being one of his Top 10 and assuming the Top 10 are all pretty good movies, then starting at #11 or wherever the cusp starts, the rest are all dreck.

It will. Trust me. I was mentally screaming "OMG, WHAT!!!" through the entire ordeal.
This is disappointing to hear. I am not aware of any movies that do not falsify history, and "based on a true story" is simply the Hollywood/commericial way of saying "falsified." And it pretty nearly results in my not seeing a lot of movies.
I like Phoenix as well, but disagree here. Not good. Kirby looked bored.
Do they at least get the costumes, places, and ambiance correct? 😂

Last edited:
Well it is accurate in that there was a man called Napoleon who became the Emperor France and he loved Josephine. They used muzzle loaders. He won Austerlitz, but the depiction would have only been more inaccurate if they had shown his army defeating a panzer division fully equipped with a Tiger tank battalion.

It was awful. I wondered going in how would they handle the story of Napoleon in 2.5 hours and the answer is they didn't.

Should have been planned out as a series of movies with a younger actor. Phoenix is too old to be playing the man.
I agree I like Phoenix he’s a good actor but he was miscast as Napoleon

Reactions: GroverCleveland
The Soviet era War and Peace by Bondarchuk is definitely worth seeing and does make a serious and perhaps unique attempt in cinema to be faithful to its original. Of course, that would be impossible in the Hollywood model, and the film weighs in at about 8 hours. Secondly, it is faithful not to Napoleon as a historic and historical person but to Tolstoy's novel, which centers on Napoleon's Russian campaign and everything surrounding it in Russia.

What would y'all nominate as best films of historical events?

There's so many. The latest that was very good imo was Dunkirk.

Going back the last thirty years I'd go with Apollo 13, Hidden figures, and of course Schindler's list.

There's a lot out there

Reactions: tvolsfan
This is disappointing to hear. I am not aware of any movies that do not falsify history, and "based on a true story" is simply the Hollywood/commericial way of saying "falsified." And it pretty nearly results in my not seeing a lot of movies.

Do they at least get the costumes, places, and ambiance correct?

First: this does more falsifying than most.

Second: I cannot claim to know period dress well enough to say. There are places named Paris, Toulon, Austerlitz and Waterloo. Ambiance: everything seemed dark, cold and cloudy to me, so I would say no.

Reactions: Orange.
That's my concern. Plus there are a lot of characters in Napoleon's orbit that are very interesting, field marshals, Talleyrand, etc. You could do a Game of Thrones style season on Napoleon and still not do his life justice.
Yes, I fear to do that well would need a decade or two of seasons or double-length seasons and more characters and complications than most people would put up with. Imagine if it were to encompass the entire Napoleonic era.

Reactions: Godfatha
The intended audience seems to be people who are familiar with the terms "Waterloo", "Russian Winter", and "Austerlitz" but with absolutely no other knowledge of the Napoleonic Wars. It's an incredibly bad portrayal of the character.
☹️

Well it is accurate in that there was a man called Napoleon who became the Emperor France and he loved Josephine. They used muzzle loaders. He won Austerlitz, but the depiction would have only been more inaccurate if they had shown his army defeating a panzer division fully equipped with a Tiger tank battalion.
😂😂😂
....There are places named Paris, Toulon, Austerlitz and Waterloo.
😂 😂
Ambiance: everything seemed dark, cold and cloudy to me, so I would say no.
Egypt, too?!

😂

😂😂😂

😂 😂

Egypt, too?!

😂
Right! No, Egypt was bright and sunny, but you know, Josephine, so he left for cold, dark France.

But not before being accused as having something against Egyptian pyramids and shooting them with cannon to defeat someone.

Reactions: tvolsfan
Right! No, Egypt was bright and sunny, but you know, Josephine, so he left for cold, dark France.

But not before being accused as having something against Egyptian pyramids and shooting them with cannon to defeat someone.
WTF?! 🤦🏻‍♂️

Let me guess. An Egyptian lady, righteously indignant, at that moment founded Egyptology and translated the Rosetta Stone?

Last edited:
Yes, I fear to do that well would need a decade or two of seasons or double-length seasons and more characters and complications than most people would put up with. Imagine if it were to encompass the entire Napoleonic era.
Agree. A GoT style series in terms of depth. It probably wouldn't draw enough interest (see the Rome series) to keep it going though.

This reminds me of Oliver Stone's Alexander movie (one that I was also really pumped for) that ended up being something of a flop.

Reactions: Orange.
Agree. A GoT style series in terms of depth. It probably wouldn't draw enough interest (see the Rome series) to keep it going though.
Do you mean the Rome historical dreama released 2005–2007? Or some other series?

I like Phoenix as well, but disagree here. Not good. Kirby looked bored.
Yeah, I agree that the movie as a whole wasn’t good. I would give it a C-. But, Phoenix was still good, and I think Kirby is good in just about anything. The flow of the movie was crap. I’m not a historian, so I can’t comment on the accuracies of it all. But it was a disjointed movie. It was one of those movies where I immediately thought walking out of it that it should have been an all-time great movie given the subject and the cast. Instead, it just fell extremely flat and awkward.

Correct me if I’m wrong but if I remember right in real life Josephine didn’t even really like Napoleon? Did she not just up and leave him for someone else at some point?
According to the movie, she was, ah, generous with her favors.

However, that was not unusual for the time. Kind of like being accused of driving too fast at Indianapolis Speedway.

VN Store

Back