National Opinion of Nico

VOLociraptorr

I consume a ton of cfb podcasts and have noticed a stark difference for how they saw Joe vs how they see Nico. No, this isn't a Joe bashing post, I'm just comparing how differently these two QBs are perceived

Words I heard to describe Joe
Strong arm, Erratic, inaccurate, slow reaction time

For Nico
Calm, cerebral, smooth, most potential of anyone in the country

With Joe the common theme was "we'll see" with Nico it's "I can't wait to see". Many have mentioned this will look more like a Josh Heupel offense

Once again this is what National CFB guys said/are saying. Overall, they expect a much better offense with Nico and our current receivers

I consume a ton of cfb podcasts and have noticed a stark difference for how they saw Joe vs how they see Nico. No, this isn't a Joe bashing post, I'm just comparing how differently these two QBs are perceived

For Nico

With Joe the common theme was "we'll see" with Nico it's "I can't wait to see". Many have mentioned this will look more like a Josh Heupel offense

Once again this is what National CFB guys said/are saying. Overall, they expect a much better offense with Nico and our current receivers
I agree with the difference of opinions. One of the problems may be is Joe thinks he is better than he is as a playing QB. He shows a lot of confidence, but has been unable to play to his potential.

I think the first few games we will see the Nico from the bowl game, calm, accurate but more apt to run than to take a chance throwing in a tight window. After mid year I think things will totally slow down for him and he will start making more plays with his arm than with his feet. Likethe mainstream media I cannot wait to see Nico play this fall.

Not sure why you're surprised.
Nico was a 5* a lot of people said he should've been #1 in the country instead of Manning of course he's going to come with ton's of praise.

Where did I say I was surprised?

Me? I think it's all about mostly three things
People hunting for something to whine about.
People wanting to create some form of conflict or controversy.
People miss their whipping boy and seeking opportunity to whip him some more.

We got a new season, a new QB, sure looks like both fun and anxious expectations.
Can we enjoy that without drama about someone who isn't even at the Ut anymore?

Me? I think it's all about mostly three things
People hunting for something to whine about.
People wanting to create some form of conflict or controversy.
People miss their whipping boy and seeking opportunity to whip him some more.

We got a new season, a new QB, sure looks like both fun and anxious expectations.
Can we enjoy that without drama about someone who isn't even at the Ut anymore?
There is no drama. This is about the national perception of how we'll be this year vs last year

If you look carefully I said this isn't a Joe bashing post.

There is no drama. This is about the national perception of how we'll be this year vs last year

Yeah. And I'm talking about what PEOPLE do. I, uh, assumed the people saying what they said about the QBs are people.
While we who post here are people too, if you look closely, I wasn't referring specifically our fanbase, or VN posters.

For Nico

Joe had a track record of like 6 years. I appreciate his commitment to the Vols, and think he was a huge asset to the program. But by 2023, you knew what you were getting. Plenty of film.

Nico still has about a million routes that can define the type of college player he is - but his limited exposure really only points to greatness. We'll see how he handles the expanded role, wear and tear, etc.

I actually think Joe has a great chance to be in the league a long time. Absolute specimen, and he could be a good game manager.

Nico had a good bowl game. Other than Tennessee fans, I don't think Nico is on the tip of anybody's tongue. In fact, I hope nobody but us here on this site are even talking about him. Stay under the radar for as long as humanly possible. Take the pressure off this young man as he learns to become a warrior right in front of our eyes. I despise pure speculation - as it means the rest of the news cycle is slow.

For Nico

Well ESPN does not have him in Top 10 so Nationally he's not getting Orange sunglasses.
1. Beck UGA
2. Gabriel Org
3. Ewers Texas
4. Milroe Bama
5.Fifita Ariz.
6 Dart O Miss
7. Daniels Kansas
8. Shedeur Colo
9.Rising Utah
10. Cam Ward Miami
also receiving votes
Cook, Leonard, Howard, Greene, Nico, K Salter, Uiagalelei, Arnold, Weigman, Drones, and Will Rogers

Well ESPN does not have him in Top 10 so Nationally he's not getting Orange sunglasses.
1. Beck UGA
2. Gabriel Org
3. Ewers Texas
4. Milroe Bama
5.Fifita Ariz.
6 Dart O Miss
7. Daniels Kansas
8. Shedeur Colo
9.Rising Utah
10. Cam Ward Miami
also receiving votes
Cook, Leonard, Howard, Greene, Nico, K Salter, Uiagalelei, Arnold, Weigman, Drones, and Will Rogers
Idk all of those guys but are any first year starters?

The one unknown about Nico that will be answered soon is how he mentally handles the pressure of a big game in a totally hostile environment. When we see him take the field in Norman and in Athens this season; we will find out whatever really have.
I for one am optimistic.

Nico had a good bowl game. Other than Tennessee fans, I don't think Nico is on the tip of anybody's tongue. In fact, I hope nobody but us here on this site are even talking about him. Stay under the radar for as long as humanly possible. Take the pressure off this young man as he learns to become a warrior right in front of our eyes. I despise pure speculation - as it means the rest of the news cycle is slow.
Nico is the "$8 million" man. I don't think he's staying under any ones radar that keeps up with football.
He knows the pressure is on him. Some people can handle it, some can't. I think he has that chip on his shoulder and ready for what comes his way

For the money he is supposed to be getting, he should be great, only time will tell. Hope he balls out.

Looks like there is a comprehension deficit disorder amongst the folks trying to interpret your post. Nice comparison, and for what’s it worth, the coaches are expecting more punch offensively as well.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Idk all of those guys but are any first year starters?
The short answer is no. The longer answer is Cam Ward was the starter at Washington State last year and transferred to Miami. Rising was hurt all of last year but had been a rising star in prior years. Gabriel was starter at Oklahoma last year and transferred to Oregon. So these three will be new starters this year at their respective schools but have been starters at prior schools or seasons. Nico is kinda in the same boat as Manning, everyone recognizes the tremendous potential but there just isn't enough of a college resume to say they are elite college QB's.....yet.

Makes sense to me. His style of play fits the offense and he looked the part in the bowl game against a top defense in his first collegiate start. Joe had a cannon for an arm but seemed to struggle with touch at times and wasn't very mobile.

Funny how it always begins as “ this is not a bash Joe Milton “ post only to bash Joe Milton!

There's every reason, given what we know, to have high expectations for Nico.

The part that can hold opinions back on the above is the "given what we know" part...it's very incomplete. On the national stage Nico is basically

1. A blue chip recruit that plays for a coach known for potent offenses.
2.Has at this point attempted 45 passes in his career and has 1 start to his name.

Even trying to set aside an obvious Vol bias I think a healthy Nico in this offense is going to look "very good" even for my floor expectations.

For Nico

One thing i saw this past week that i really liked about Nico is when he said "I like road games more than home games" That is a GREAT mentality to have.

VN Store

Back