New forum: Coaching Rumors and Speculation

Michigan lost 9 games back in 2009 i think it was...and OSU i dont know about...so yeah it might be UT and OSU who havent lost over 7 in a season yet....I hope it dont happen this yr!!!

More excellent points of reason and logic.

Another question to ask is.....WHERE does Tennessee get the HUGE amount of money to payoff CDD and his staff and to hire the great big named coach they want?

AD Hart just confirmed to the entire world this week in a interview that Tennessee is basically BROKE.

Go find the AD Hart interview and LEARN what all he said at Alabama Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - al.com

VFL...GBO!!!

It's been said many times and will probaby be repeated several more times.

Money will not be an issue.

Fellow Vols,let`s be completely honest. We are having this run of mediocrity because we have 500x more competition 4 recruits. We use to get great players from Ga,La,Al,Nc,Ms,Sc,and nationally. BECAUSE THEN IF U WANTED 2 COMPETE 4 TITLES IT WAS FLA,FL ST,OR UT. NOW ALL THE TALENT IS STAYING INSTATE TO PLAY 4 Saban,Miles,Spurrier,Mulden,Richt,or going to weak conference powerhouses-i.e. Usc Nd Oh st,Okl,etc. We need 2 generate excitement ANY WAY POSSIBLE. Personally,I think we should wear special uniforms in marquee games.NOT BLACK NECESSARILY. I would love to see us in camo unis w gloss orange trim. We DO need 2 throw out black unis once a year. Young people,especially those of African lineage LOVE souped-up unis,especially black shirts. Make no mistake,I love our unis. best on earth imo,but we gotta play every card we can to generate excitement. We lack the talent 2 win on field,so we gotta get Tennessee talked about. We can beat Bama,go coach huntin,or wear eyegrabbing unis. If we r gonna lose,may as well look appealing to recruits doing it. OF COURSE I PREFER WE WEAR ORANGE AND STOMP BAMA,BUT I SEE HOW NCAA FB HAS EVOLVED. We have been devolving. Now the states that provided us with so much talent are coming and taking away a lot of our sparse in-state talent. I don`t foresee Saban,Miles,Spurrier,&co. retiring anytime soon. Actually our situation worsens every year with teams like Ms St,Ol Ms,Tx A&m,Miz,and Vandy all improving that adds further competition 4 recruits. Moreover,NCAA FB has become so popular that a kid can go to his hometown university and still be guaranteed TV/ONLINE PUBLICITY,&A CHANCE 4 NFL NO MATTER HOW BAD THE TEAM SUCKS. You can`t coach Matt Simms to become Peyton,or R. Neal n2 J. Lewis. We have a hard row to hoe,but we are Tennesseans-the best people on earth. If we never win another game and Obama starts coaching us,I`ll still support my Vols till death. Go Big Damn Orange! Kill Alasucka!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 1 person
Sorry. I have never posted b4& got carried away. I BLEED ORANGE. As a child,I gave serious thought to assassinating Stallings,Spurrier,and their players.lol. I still cry when we lose,so I`ve been a depressed pup since 06-last W over Bama. I lived in Decatur,Al. during our 7yr streak. It was grrrrrreat! After we beat Bama,I would ride my orange bicycle with dual 5x7ft UT flags flowing behind me&pennants&signs with score on it. I got knocked in the head a few times,but I was ecstatic&didnt care. And Vol fans,make no mistake we are the BEST ON EARTH. Alabama fans are psychotic. They kill trees when they lose.lol. Only reason 92000 went 2 spring game is because they`d sucked so long&knew Saban would do what he has. If we lose for 3-4 more yrs then hired Peyton as coach,I`m sure we would fill Neyland 4 the O&W game.

We can’t pull the plug on Dooley at this point.

Several reasons:

1. I think it looks like he’s building something. If you think it’s not important to build a program versus a win now attitude, see Auburn.

2. He represents my university well and handles off field issues with the program in mind.

3. Recruiting -- This guy has been pissing up a rope with something to sell and is still getting good players. Does he need more, YES. He is a really good recruiter and if we can turn the corner, it will really take off. Not to mention that if you run off Dooley then more than likely great recruiters like Hinshaw and mainly Jay Graham go to(Graham was a stud as a player and even better as a coach).

4. Next year - Holy ****!!!! Talk about next year. Here is Dave Hart’s conversation with prospective coaches: “Coach, we would really like for you to come coach our team next year. We just had our best 6 players(Bray, Hunter, CP, Juwan James, Maurice Couch and Big Dan) go pro early. Plus you get to road trip to Eugene to play the Ducks, Gainesville to play the Gators and Tuscaloosa to play the Tide. For all that we want you to leave *****(insert any hot assistant because no current head coach would take these circumstances) to come to UT to coach for a passionate but unrealistic fan base who will give you a very short leash and $2.2 million. Sound good?” Coaches response, “Thanks but GFY”.

At this point, most of our good players will come back. Bray’s not ready, Patterson is a freak but he’s not really ready. Hunter isn’t ready either but he’s got a small child so even being a third rounder will help his situation. I think the other guys mentioned above do come back if there is no coaching chance. Dooley has us in the lead for the top running back in the country, leading for the #2 wide receiver in the country and leading for a home grown DB that is a difference maker. The 2014 class could be really special and expedite the building process but a new coach and new staff will have to build all new relationships with Akeem Copperwood, the Berry Brothers, Dylan Bates and Todd Kelly, Jr. which means it would be highly unlikely that we get any of them.

If Dooley is gone after this year, I think we take another step back and that’s not what anybody wants.

Reactions: 3 people

Several reasons:

1. I think it looks like he’s building something. If you think it’s not important to build a program versus a win now attitude, see Auburn.

2. He represents my university well and handles off field issues with the program in mind.

3. Recruiting -- This guy has been pissing up a rope with something to sell and is still getting good players. Does he need more, YES. He is a really good recruiter and if we can turn the corner, it will really take off. Not to mention that if you run off Dooley then more than likely great recruiters like Hinshaw and mainly Jay Graham go to(Graham was a stud as a player and even better as a coach).

4. Next year - Holy ****!!!! Talk about next year. Here is Dave Hart’s conversation with prospective coaches: “Coach, we would really like for you to come coach our team next year. We just had our best 6 players(Bray, Hunter, CP, Juwan James, Maurice Couch and Big Dan) go pro early. Plus you get to road trip to Eugene to play the Ducks, Gainesville to play the Gators and Tuscaloosa to play the Tide. For all that we want you to leave *****(insert any hot assistant because no current head coach would take these circumstances) to come to UT to coach for a passionate but unrealistic fan base who will give you a very short leash and $2.2 million. Sound good?” Coaches response, “Thanks but GFY”.

At this point, most of our good players will come back. Bray’s not ready, Patterson is a freak but he’s not really ready. Hunter isn’t ready either but he’s got a small child so even being a third rounder will help his situation. I think the other guys mentioned above do come back if there is no coaching chance. Dooley has us in the lead for the top running back in the country, leading for the #2 wide receiver in the country and leading for a home grown DB that is a difference maker. The 2014 class could be really special and expedite the building process but a new coach and new staff will have to build all new relationships with Akeem Copperwood, the Berry Brothers, Dylan Bates and Todd Kelly, Jr. which means it would be highly unlikely that we get any of them.

If Dooley is gone after this year, I think we take another step back and that’s not what anybody wants.

bama just sealed dooleys fate. pathetic on every level. no improvement year to year.

"Remember me?"
images

Let me say first that I am NOT in favor of letting Dooley go at this point in time. Period.

Having said that I'm not naive enough to think that it cannot happen following a dismal season. Here are some names to keep an eye out for:

1. Kirby Smart - Defensive guy, so he'd have to bring in an offensive coordinator to run that side of the ball. Also another Bammer in here following the "if you can't beat em, join em" saying... Side note is that he's had his eye and hopes on the UGA job if it were to come open, so it would take more than people think to lure him away from a great position at Bama and keep him if the UGA job were to come open anytime in the near future.

2. Jim Mora Jr. - He's started to rebuild nicely already at UCLA and would bring assistant coach and QB guru Noel Mazzone with him wherever he goes next... Also has NFL credential for those who are concerned with that being a key to a big name coach.

3. Charlie Strong - Defensive minded guy, but has great reputation throughout college football and is a proven winner at both Florida and has rebuilt the Louisville program from basically nothing. He wants to get back into the SEC and this opportunity would seem to be right up his alley. He's also a phenomenal recruiter.

4. Chad Morris - Offensive Coordinator at Clemson is well respected throughout NCAA and can recruit athletes. He's got a great situation as one of highest paid assistants in country, but would be worth taking a stab at to gage his interest.

5. Dan Mullen - Some will say "why would he leave a program in a better situation to come here?" but this is a better job than Miss State. More $ in program, more resources, better facilities, better fanbase, better location, better tradition, and he doesn't have to beat out LSU and Bama every year to go to the SEC championship game... He's done a great job at Miss St in his tenure there.

6. James Franklin - Some will laugh at this one, but he's further down on the list for a reason b/c obviously he's not a first choice. However make no mistake Franklin can coach and is a great recruiter. Look what he's done at VANDERBILT... He gets his kids to play hard, competes with inferior talent, and has started to bring SOME athletes into Nashville that have no business being there.

7. Al Golden - He's facing a lot of scrutiny and pending sanctions at Miami. Also AD is leaving. He has started to rebuild down in Coral Gables, but may be looking for an exit strategy. Obviously not a first choice similar to Franklin, but an option to consider at least.

All this talk about John Gruden is humorous at best at this point. No one has ever actually had evidence he would consider this job. Just because the guy is rumored to have land in east TN and a brief history here doesn't mean he's gonna leave a lucrative job to come coach kids. Would love to have him obviously, but at this point in time that seems like a long shot.

The Great White Buffalo, will come.

Fellow Vols,let`s be completely honest. We are having this run of mediocrity because we have 500x more competition 4 recruits. We use to get great players from Ga,La,Al,Nc,Ms,Sc,and nationally. BECAUSE THEN IF U WANTED 2 COMPETE 4 TITLES IT WAS FLA,FL ST,OR UT. NOW ALL THE TALENT IS STAYING INSTATE TO PLAY 4 Saban,Miles,Spurrier,Mulden,Richt,or going to weak conference powerhouses-i.e. Usc Nd Oh st,Okl,etc. We need 2 generate excitement ANY WAY POSSIBLE. Personally,I think we should wear special uniforms in marquee games.NOT BLACK NECESSARILY. I would love to see us in camo unis w gloss orange trim. We DO need 2 throw out black unis once a year. Young people,especially those of African lineage LOVE souped-up unis,especially black shirts. Make no mistake,I love our unis. best on earth imo,but we gotta play every card we can to generate excitement. We lack the talent 2 win on field,so we gotta get Tennessee talked about. We can beat Bama,go coach huntin,or wear eyegrabbing unis. If we r gonna lose,may as well look appealing to recruits doing it. OF COURSE I PREFER WE WEAR ORANGE AND STOMP BAMA,BUT I SEE HOW NCAA FB HAS EVOLVED. We have been devolving. Now the states that provided us with so much talent are coming and taking away a lot of our sparse in-state talent. I don`t foresee Saban,Miles,Spurrier,&co. retiring anytime soon. Actually our situation worsens every year with teams like Ms St,Ol Ms,Tx A&m,Miz,and Vandy all improving that adds further competition 4 recruits. Moreover,NCAA FB has become so popular that a kid can go to his hometown university and still be guaranteed TV/ONLINE PUBLICITY,&A CHANCE 4 NFL NO MATTER HOW BAD THE TEAM SUCKS. You can`t coach Matt Simms to become Peyton,or R. Neal n2 J. Lewis. We have a hard row to hoe,but we are Tennesseans-the best people on earth. If we never win another game and Obama starts coaching us,I`ll still support my Vols till death. Go Big Damn Orange! Kill Alasucka!

If Dooley had cooler uniforms for the players we would be better?

I'm a Dooley supporter, as I would be supporting any head coach of the Vols. But I do have an opinion. For those folks that are concerned the Vols will go 7-5 and Dooley will be retained - they are going to have to improve a lot to get to 7-5 and I just don't see it happening. I think they will wind up 6-6 or 5-7. Hope not, but I could see that happening. I put a lot of this on the players, but they are not being coached that well either. Defense played a lot of 4-3 last night and looked better, but that secondary................

In short, I think the coaching situation will resolve itself with the won-lost record.

GBO

Several reasons:

I just don't get how so many people think we will lose so many guys to the pros. If we had that many early nfl prospects we wouldn't be 3-4 on our way to 3-5. If we had nfl guys all over the field we would occasionally beat a quality opponent

I think Petrino would be 5-2 we had Florida and dooleyed the game away. He would have beat MISS st 2

I've always been of the opinion that you have to give a coach four years before you make the decision to cut him loose. This gives him time to show what sort of program he can build through recruiting. However, I am not pleased at all with what we have done on the field or when it comes to recruiting. If Dooley and the boys can manage to sign Derrick Green I think that will be a sign that things may be turning around. If not, I'll be all for a change at HC. I'm just not sure there is anyone out there that would be worth the upheaval. Yeah, it would be awesome to land a Chip Kelly, Jon Gruden, or Charlie Strong, but I just don't see that happening. As for Petrino, I don't want that slimeball anywhere near my beloved Vols!

I don't get why everyone wants petrino. He would have a better offense yes but he doesn't give a crap about defense. Arkansas would have never won any or many major titles with no defense.

I didn't know that John Gruden is now living around Knoxville? Here's what I found on Wikipedia below:

"It has also been widely speculated that he may be a candidate for the Coaching job at the University of Tennessee, where he and his wife cindy met when he was a graduate assistant and she was a cheerleader, if the UT position were to come open. The Grudens now live in Tennessee near Knoxville.[14]

I've been a Tennessee fan all my life and I bleed Orange but, quite honestly, if we hired a total scumbag like Petrino I might have to try and become a Vandy fan since that's where my Dad graduated before World War 2.

My Dad has been dead for over 40 years but he'd probably roll over in his grave if I stopped supporting my Vols.

VFL...GBO!!!

Dooley's waterloo has arrived, in real time. If he doesnt beat SC next week, he is done. If he beats SC, then he has a "chance" to survive through 2013. At this point, with the lack of improvement the team has shown, I think he has to run the table this year to survive. Hart does not want to do this, but the dwindling fan support, and on the field lack of improvement/progression as a "team", have accelerated the process.

Don't look for a home run hire if it happens. Unless something drastically changes, we arent going to pay anywhere close to what it would take to get a proven, big-splash hire. Part of that is economics, part of it is the realization of how tough it is to recruit and compete at the highest level in the SEC at Tennessee in todays world, combined with a fanbase that will not tolerate being down any longer. Our next coach will come in here knowing he must Win Quick (we fired the last guy in three years without any scandal or off field problems). So who would take such a job, at what we are going to be willing to pay (3 M), that could get the job done? I would say Dave Hart is thinking about this quite alot today......

I didn't know that John Gruden is now living around Knoxville? Here's what I found on Wikipedia below:

"It has also been widely speculated that he may be a candidate for the Coaching job at the University of Tennessee, where he and his wife cindy met when he was a graduate assistant and she was a cheerleader, if the UT position were to come open. The Grudens now live in Tennessee near Knoxville.[14]

Unfortunately, according to the footnote, that info is from 2010. There is no telling whether he is still in the area or not.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back