New Lindsey Nelson Stadium | Baseball Premium Seating Opportunities

In my mind, 5 years makes a little more sense if I sketch it out.

New player areas, weight room, 3rd row of porches, new stadium seating wraps year one. Year two is left field/3B line improvements, Years 3/4/5 likely gets you the new press box/suites/club/loges and redesigned entrance and concourses behind main stands, plus the new dorm and practice facility out past right field.

Granted, that's all a guess and has a pretty big fudge factor for state of TN nonsense...

New player areas, weight room, 3rd row of porches, new stadium seating wraps year one. Year two is left field/3B line improvements, Years 3/4/5 likely gets you the new press box/suites/club/loges and redesigned entrance and concourses behind main stands, plus the new dorm and practice facility out past right field.

Granted, that's all a guess and has a pretty big fudge factor for state of TN nonsense...
Agree with this. I probably got too hyped when the plans were announced in June that I wanted it completed immediately.

Hindsight this is a massive undertaking and I want it done the right way. Either way, I'm glad the investment in the program is being made.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I think my expectations have been out of whack. At least in my mind, I expected a large majority of work to be done between the end of this year and the start of 24. Wishful thinking I guess.

I’ll point out that this is different from the info distributed by UT in my post above (link below). UT indicates that additional seating should be done before the 24 season and everything else by the 25 season. Maybe CTV is factoring in inevitable delays.

New Lindsey Nelson Stadium | Baseball Premium Seating Opportunities

Reactions: Ned Land

State tore down Dudy-Noble and rebuilt the whole thing, 2x size, in a season for the most part. Crazy we can’t get things done sooner than 5 years.

Last edited:
I forgot about that. They sure did.
Probably drove the price up incredibly. Especially in that market. Spreading the cost over the next couple of years of downturn, prolly ain’t a bad course. We’re talking lots of zeros here…

Reactions: @1RBFjr
State tore down Dudy-Noble and rebuilt the whole thing, 2x size, in a season for the most part. Crazy we can’t get things done sooner than 5 years.

I don’t disagree. Honestly, I could see the stadium portion taking just two years, and the dorm/team facilities being what drags on. The Stadium part definitely shouldn’t take that long if you do the low hanging fruit in left/3B/porches this year while simultaneously designing the 2nd half so it’s ready to roll after the 24 season.

Also might’ve been a well placed statement by TV to make the very point there’s no real need for it to take 5 seasons. I know the state has frustrated them a couple times already.

Thoughts:

1- I suspect most/all the fraternity houses in the general area of the new residence halls are goners. I suspect the school is coming up with a plan to replace these "second generation" fraternity houses on a smaller portion of this area - or elsewhere and the new fraternity area will look a lot like the sorority area off Neyland, Kingston Pike and Alcoa Highway.
2- Dollars to donuts that an indoor track facility will be lurking in this area as well.
4- I would hope the plan is to get the expansion/renovations started and completed first on the left field/3rd base side first before all that work is done on opposite side.
5- I'm disappointed that we will have to wait yet another season with the woefully inadequate temp seating on left baseline.
6- While this plan has been in the planning stage, Haslam Field and the Neyland-Thompson Center has been bulldozed, replanted, expanded, bulldozed again, replanted and recently bulldozed again this Spring. All this right across the road
7- I hope all the new premium seating will persuade all the corporate and wealthy people to purchase those new areas and give up the seats they rarely use now. The 8 seats in row beneath the seats I normally use, were vacant in over 80% of all the games. I'm convinced that many times the seats were filled were by persons sneaking in.

Thoughts:

1- I suspect most/all the fraternity houses in the general area of the new residence halls are goners. I suspect the school is coming up with a plan to replace these "second generation" fraternity houses on a smaller portion of this area - or elsewhere and the new fraternity area will look a lot like the sorority area off Neyland, Kingston Pike and Alcoa Highway.
2- Dollars to donuts that an indoor track facility will be lurking in this area as well.
4- I would hope the plan is to get the expansion/renovations started and completed first on the left field/3rd base side first before all that work is done on opposite side.
5- I'm disappointed that we will have to wait yet another season with the woefully inadequate temp seating on left baseline.
6- While this plan has been in the planning stage, Haslam Field and the Neyland-Thompson Center has been bulldozed, replanted, expanded, bulldozed again, replanted and recently bulldozed again this Spring. All this right across the road
7- I hope all the new premium seating will persuade all the corporate and wealthy people to purchase those new areas and give up the seats they rarely use now. The 8 seats in row beneath the seats I normally use, were vacant in over 80% of all the games. I'm convinced that many times the seats were filled were by persons sneaking in.

Co-sign.

Especially about getting the corporate seats shifted out of the general seating area. I know multiple NFL teams have explored going after serial seat flippers as well, I wouldn't mind seeing that explored. More than a few seats in Sec. D were either sold or empty for, like you said, at least 80% of the games this year. There's ways to fix it that don't involve just pulling tickets. I know you can't yank tickets...but it got pretty ridiculous a lot of this season.

Another year of the temp bleachers is...suboptimal. I really, really hoped they'd be able to get shovels in the ground and get some of that LF line stuff done this year.

Here are some screenshots of what is supposedly coming. Click on the link to see more information: The University of Tennessee, Knoxville |

View attachment 552878View attachment 552879View attachment 552880

Thanks for posting these. The most important thing I see is that the existing road will have to be moved away from the right field fence to make the building and seats beyond the RF home run wall to work. I wonder if that is something hoped for or something agreed to with the RR.

I also notice there is no covering over the upper seats as there was shown in the original renderings. I'm wondering if that was just an error of omission or if they no longer plan for the covering.

I wish they would remove that ugly brick building on the first base side. I guess it's drawing a lot of revenue from fat cats but it's an eyesore. Anither panel of seating should take it's place.

Also, I don't see any bulpens.

Thanks for posting these. The most important thing I see is that the existing road will have to be moved away from the right field fence to make the building and seats beyond the RF home run wall to work. I wonder if that is something hoped for or something agreed to with the RR.

I also notice there is no covering over the upper seats as there was shown in the original renderings. I'm wondering if that was just an error of omission or if they no longer plan for the covering.

I wish they would remove that ugly brick building on the first base side. I guess it's drawing a lot of revenue from fat cats but it's an eyesore. Anither panel of seating should take it's place.

Also, I don't see any bulpens.
Home Bullpen is in same spot, the RF bleachers overhang it. Agreed on the existing coaches offices/bathrooms in the brick building. If the structure in RF is a new baseball specific facility, which I believe it is, I’d assume the coaches offices would be relocated there and there would be no need for that structure within the stadium unless they can incorporate it into the seating so it looks more natural and not just rising up by itself.

Home Bullpen is in same spot, the RF bleachers overhang it. Agreed on the existing coaches offices/bathrooms in the brick building. If the structure in RF is a new baseball specific facility, which I believe it is, I’d assume the coaches offices would be relocated there and there would be no need for that structure within the stadium unless they can incorporate it into the seating so it looks more natural and not just rising up by itself.

So, if this design gets built, will it be possible to hit a HR under the overhang but over the bullpen fence?

I asked someone and I did not think he would want to give up his field level offices which are pretty cool. I’m not sure whether you would be able to see the field from the hitting facility. There are some huge advantages to being able to sit in your office and porch all summer and watch teams play ball. Plus being able to keep families away from fans. Even though Coach V’s family chooses to come down and sit with us normal people almost every ball game.

VN Store

Back