New Secondary Addition

HMMMMMMMMMMMMM. Turn the head or not? Hey! I got an idea. Like the cars of drivers and planes of fighter pilots, fit rearview mirrors on their helmets. Use a material that doesn't break and shatter like glass. I think there actually is such a mirror called, mirrorlite. I know, I know, I'm nuts because I think not only outside the box, but off the table the box is on.

I think this is a misunderstanding. If the DB and WR are both sprinting step for step, then I don't think anyone is complaining that the DB never looked back.

The complaint comes in the 50/50 balls. The short routes where the WR is clearly going to have to go up and make a play. At that point the DB should absolutely take the .3 seconds it takes to turn their head and actually look for the ball so that they know how to swat at it, or better yet, pick it off.

Any coach who is teaching the opposite of that is a poor coach.
Its situational but you get a lot on here that have heard announcer say he didn't get his head around and they defer to that as you have to get your head around every time. If you turn your head right at the moment the WR makes a cut for the post or flag your toast. This happens and is why sometimes you see receivers wide open DB turned right at the time the receiver cut and lost him. UT WRs pulled it off multiple times in 2022. Now on 50/50 and back shoulder Balls the thing about getting your head around on them is they hardly call a PI and you can hand fight and be more liberal with your hands if you're eyeing the ball, you have a right to said ball. It's definitely taught both ways and it's per the situation but as in all elements some DBs are really good at it and other just can't do it as well.

That young man was part of a team in 2019 that won a 7A title in Ga if i'm not mistaken. To be honest i think he's coming to Ut with something to prove to himself. I'd rather have a young man like him that's going somewhere where he's always wanted to be rather than a 5 star DB that's liable to transfer after 1 season....I really believe this Stewart young man is there with a "chip" on his shoulder if you will....
Look Andre we got your back,if u say u got somethibg to prove then prove it cause we can use all the db help we can get.All joking aside though u really dont have any established leadership so anyone can step up and take a job you just gotta want it bad enuff..Im rootin for ya bro 😆

P.s for the slow ones i really dont think this is Andre or maybe it is dummm dumm dummm 👀🤔😄

Modern DBs are no longer taught to turn their heads; it isn’t just a Tennessee thing. I go to a lot of other teams’ message boards and they all complain about this, even in the NFL. The logic behind it is that DBs will lose a step with the receiver if they are trying to turn their head while running at full speed.
You can look at the receivers eyes. They are a dead giveaway if the ball is coming their way. The closer the ball gets, the bigger their eyes get.

Reactions: coachchia
Look Andre we got your back, if u say u got somethibg to prove then prove it cause we can use all the db help we can get.All joking aside though u really dont have any established leadership so anyone can step up and take a job you just gotta want it bad enuff..Im rootin for ya bro 😆

P.s for the slow ones i really dont think this is Andre or maybe it is dummm dumm dummm 👀🤔😄
DaMn Right!!!

AL @ UT Oct 15th, 2022
Score tied 49-49
AL 1st & 10 at TENN 32 (0:34 - 4th)
B. Young throws 3 incomplete passes.

I know we had at least one walkon DB in the game then.

Reactions: swampfoxfan
Well, we admittedly need bodies in the secondary, so if the coaching staff feels this kid can play, then welcome to Ktown Mr. Stewart. Give it your ALL and you might stay on as a Vol!

A defensive back in phase with a reciever can turn and make a play on the ball or break up the pass by disrupting the wideouts hands at the catch point.

A defensive back that has been beaten by a receiver and thus out of phase, is neither close enough to play the ball or break up the pass reception.

The receiver has a significant advantage in that he knows what the play is and the route he’s going to run, whereas the corner is having to react off of what the receiver is doing. And keep in mind this whole debate about the corners turning or not turning their heads mainly applies to go routes. A lot of interceptions happen on crossing routes, curls, tipped balls, etc.
I wish our main opponents would look at it with this loser mentality of yours.

No one wants to read about how complicated the game is today, but the truth about playing the ball or the receiver depends on the quarterback, the route, what help you have coming from which direction, the down and distance situation, the game situation, the receiver's strengths and mismatches, what he's done on previous plays, what other receivers in the area are doing, the wind, the sun...

Truth is, playing in a defensive secondary today is like doing air traffic control at Hartsfield without a computer. A dozen factors to be weighed and reacted to within at most, two seconds.

Actually, it's worse than air traffic control. At least there, the plane is also hoping you'll be successful.

I can't imagine what subtle tricks receivers are using these days, especially now with back-shoulder pass routes. Way back in '68, as a HS freshman wide receiver, I was tricking DBs by faking looking at a pass coming my way--before making my corner or post break--simply because I'd read about Lance "Bambi" Alworth doing that with the San Diego Chargers. (The writing's on the wall when that early you're looking for mental tricks to make up for your dearth of speed!)

My ultimate football fantasy would be to just sit in and listen to each of the position rooms. I bet I wouldn't understand 20% of what they were talking about, the game has grown that complicated.

Reactions: pimo1

VN Store

Back