New traditions

nash101

The pregame "circle drill" and halftime "run thru the gauntlet" both looked cool

However the 4th down "Fist Up" needs work. Needs a chant to go with it or something. Even if just a smokey howl or jumbo tron message to remind everyone. Has potential though but think it should audible as well as visual

Reactions: 5 people
The pregame "circle drill" and halftime "run thru the gauntlet" both looked cool

However the 4th down "Fist Up" needs work. Needs a chant to go with it or something. Even if just a smokey howl or jumbo tron message to remind everyone. Has potential though but think it should audible as well as visual

The circle drill was cool.

The fist up had a jumbotron animation that came up. But I do agree, it needs a "Huah!" or a "Sit down!" to go with it. It's a bit lacking. But definitely a cool concept.

Reactions: 2 people
please explain the pregame circle drill and run thru the gauntlet for those that weren't there

:good!:All orange pants still look dumb. But if CBJ wins football games in abundance, they can wear pink.

Reactions: 1 person
please explain the pregame circle drill and run thru the gauntlet for those that weren't there

Basically, the circle drill was where the coaches all formed a big circle, and the orange team ran one way, and the white ran the other. All players slapped hands with each other and with the coaches. It was pretty cool.

I'll let someone else explain the gauntlet.

Utah Utes have what they call a 4th down jump. On fourth down, cheerleaders/dancers come down the aisle with large signs that say, 4th down jump. Really get the crowd into it. They, also, keep score as the game progresses as to how many 4th downs are botched due to the crowd.

Before today, I thought the fist up was to be held upon on third down to show we were making a stand.

Agreed. circle and gauntlet were both AWESOME. the #fistup has potential but needs a little something more. and probably will be a bit better when 100,000+ are doing it

Reactions: 1 person
Yeah I just don't see the whole "fist up" thing catching on. Not sure why but it just doesn't resonate with me. Plus it sounds...perverted.

Not really a tradition so to speak but I really was hoping that at some point today they would replay Inky Johnson's 5 minute speech to the players on the jumbo tron! I just think as many people as possible need to see that!

The guantlet was when the team was coming out for the 2nd half, the VFLs that were here built a human corridor out from the tunnel and high-fived the team as they entered the field for warmups. The cheerleaders had blocked the exit of the corridor and when the players reached the first of the VFLs, the cheerleaders burst from the end and the players followed. It was pretty cool!

Last edited:
Yeah I just don't see the whole "fist up" thing catching on. Not sure why but it just doesn't resonate with me. Plus it sounds...perverted.

Not really a tradition so to speak but I really was hoping that at some point today they would replay Inky Johnson's 5 minute speech to the players on the jumbo tron! I just think as many people as possible need to see that!

I think that if we put our fists up ON third down it would be okay. Then once a stop is made, the Defense would put their Fist up in Response signaling a 4th down.

Carson-Newman has a similar tradition. We Hold 3 Up on Third Down.

I think the players need to do it as well.. The people in my area were not getting it, and only a few would Fist up after third down. I agree, there needs to be some saying or something.

I really believe there needs to be music like there was today.My favorite part of the O&W game was when Arian Foster told the band to be quiet, he was playing music. We need NEW MUSIC! I'm not saying stop the band from playing. nothing replaces rocky top, but some New Age music is refreshing and gets the crowd and players into it.

I think the players need to do it as well.. The people in my area were not getting it, and only a few would Fist up after third down. I agree, there needs to be some saying or something.

I made a suggestion about this in the "fist pump" thread.

What about an "ooooooooooooooooooooohhh--FOURTH DOWN!!!" kinda like the "sit down" when a player fouls out at a basketball game?

I really believe there needs to be music like there was today.My favorite part of the O&W game was when Arian Foster told the band to be quiet, he was playing music. We need NEW MUSIC! I'm not saying stop the band from playing. nothing replaces rocky top, but some New Age music is refreshing and gets the crowd and players into it.

Oh no you just opened up the haterade on that post

The player do, do it. Watch the replay, they all do it as they were running off the field for the punts.

To everybody thinking it won't catch on: I have a few points as to why I think it will.

This was a spring game (obvious, I know). I say that because I mean that we are both the offense and defense. It's kind of weird doing the fist up thing celebrating a 4th down when it's your offense that got stopped. During the season, we will all be excited about a stop of the opposing team and many more will participate. Once most participate, I think it will catch on nicely for those that sit around and might be somewhat unaware.

I do think a sound effect could help it catch on initially, but it could get annoying after awhile. The jumbo tron thing should help, but today it was late getting up there- if it was shown at all.

I though it looked really cool when we did a test/trial run before the game started. It's somewhat intimidating

The bad thing about the FIST UP is nobody can make noise by clapping! And that "music" was horrible!!

When the players all went to the band after the game, held their helmets up and sung rocky top, I got chills. Can't wait to do that after a game.

VN Store

Back