News And Notes From Cal's Teleconference

Hat, what do you see from Cronin's boys this year? How good is Yancey Gates? Can they make the big dance this year? I still think they are a year a way. I am interested in your thoughts....Go Cats!

Hat, what do you see from Cronin's boys this year? How good is Yancey Gates? Can they make the big dance this year? I still think they are a year a way. I am interested in your thoughts....Go Cats!
Gates will be a solid Big East player. They're too young and the Big East is too deep for me to see them making the tournament. That said, Mick has built them back to being repectable faster than anyone could have hoped.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

4. NBA people told him Robert Dozier has the talent to be a lottery pick.
It isn't his talent that is in question, it is his hustle, toughness and aggresiveness.

Around 6'8'.
I think that is right. He is an overall big SOB.

I hate to speak for John, but here are what I think his answers would be:

1. As long as we are making Elite Eights and Final Fours and Tennessee is watching us do that from their couches, I don't worry a whole lot about it.
2. As long as the Derrick Roses, Tyreke Evans, Wesley Witherspoons, and Xavier Henrys keep coming here, I'm not going to worry too much about any one recruit.
3. There are 330+ teams that would have loved to have had the chance to "collapse" like we did.
4. I would like to see us shoot free throws better.
Well said Hat, I think all of those are pretty much what he would say.

I certainly didn't get the impression that he is counting on Niles.
I think that Cal would tell everyone that he is not relying on Niles. While Niles seems to have lost weight already and doing pretty well with his offseason regimine, he is middle/end of the pack (team) with on-court talent.

Hat, how do you think D. Kellogg is going to do this year? Also, how long do you think it will take him to get Umass up and going strong? TIA..

Hat, how do you think D. Kellogg is going to do this year? Also, how long do you think it will take him to get Umass up and going strong? TIA..
The A-10 is going to be down this year, so he's got a chance to have some early success. DK is a top notch recruiter. He'll have UMASS contending for the A-10 title annually once he gets a couple of classes to Amherst.

The A-10 is going to be down this year, so he's got a chance to have some early success. DK is a top notch recruiter. He'll have UMASS contending for the A-10 title annually once he gets a couple of classes to Amherst.

Interesting, I hope does does well there. What is your thoughts on DK's replacement? I think Cal did a good job with it, but you know alot more about the game than me, so I would like your thoughts on this also. Thank you.

Interesting, I hope does does well there. What is your thoughts on DK's replacement? I think Cal did a good job with it, but you know alot more about the game than me, so I would like your thoughts on this also. Thank you.
Pastner is one of the 10 best recruiters in the nation among assistants. His dad runs the most elite summer program in Houston. That opens yet another pipeline for Cal.

Pierre Niles has ALREADY lost 43lbs. over the summer. He said he has been in the gym and on the floor working on his game just about everyday. He looks like a beast now. He said the 280lbs. point Cal wants will be done.

Pierre Niles has ALREADY lost 43lbs. over the summer. He said he has been in the gym and on the floor working on his game just about everyday. He looks like a beast now. He said the 280lbs. point Cal wants will be done.

Not sure if I have ever seen him that size. Even when he was a freshman, everybody at Midnight Madness gasped and whispered to each other when he first came out onto the court. :birgits_giggle:

Niles is one of the bigs that is actually pretty good at the short shots . I hope he does well.

15 more pounds and maybe he'll be able to dunk:p

beat them last year, they lost Rose and other parts. I think our freshmen and new players will be more productive or atleast as productive as theirs, plus the game is at TBA where we are always tough.

VN Store

Back