Next year recruits??

I read on an earlier post that Matt Barkaley, QB out of Cal. is a "Lock" for USC. Not so sure about that.

I've enclosed a report from the LA Times concerning Reggie Bush and USC. The times could be a changin' in Trojan Country.

Read on:

Lake says he believes USC knew of Bush gifts
Would-be sports marketer, who is suing former tailback, says in an interview that he bases his belief on encounters with assistant coach McNair and an overheard phone call. Did he or didn't he?

By David Wharton, Los Angeles Times Staff Writer

A would-be San Diego sports marketer said Monday he laments dragging USC into alleged business dealings between him and former Trojans tailback Reggie Bush, a failed venture that has prompted a civil lawsuit and an NCAA investigation.

In a lengthy telephone interview, Lloyd Lake offered no evidence that USC officials were aware of the cash and gifts he allegedly showered on Bush. But when asked if he believed they knew, Lake replied: "I would have to say yeah."

ADVERTISEMENT

Lake said he came to this belief after several social encounters with USC assistant Todd McNair and after listening in on a telephone conversation between Coach Pete Carroll and Bush's stepfather.

Lake is suing Bush and was paid to cooperate with the authors of a book, "Tarnished Heisman," due in stores today. He was recently interviewed by NCAA investigators.

The incidents he discussed Monday date to the spring of 2005.

By that time, according to Lake and others involved in the case, Bush's family -- stepfather LaMar Griffin, mother Denise and younger brother Jovan -- was living in a house owned by Lake's business partner, Michael Michaels, but had failed to pay an agreed-upon rent.

Lake said he received panicked phone calls from Bush and Griffin. "They were basically telling me we've got to get some stuff together," he recalled. "Basically telling me we've got to cover it up."

According to Lake, Bush said Carroll and at least one other USC official had pulled the player into an office, saying they had received an anonymous e-mail about agents, free housing and other gifts.

Lake said he was at Griffin's house when Griffin left a telephone message for Carroll. He said the coach called back within 10 minutes and Griffin discreetly put the call on speakerphone.

Carroll "sounded calm like it wasn't a big deal," Lake said. "He asked [Griffin] to put everything in order, to have a lease agreement. He said just have all your ducks in a row and it would be all right."

At no point during the brief conversation did Griffin mention agents or cash, Lake said, and Carroll never said anything to suggest he knew about improper benefits.

Reached after a team meeting on Monday, Carroll declined to comment other than to say "we have cooperated with the NCAA and continue to cooperate."

As for McNair -- who could not be reached -- Lake said he met the Trojans' running backs coach on four or five occasions, including at parties in San Diego and Los Angeles.

McNair has previously said he did not know about any alleged improper benefits.

Asked why he believed McNair did know, Lake abruptly backed off, saying: "I didn't want to do this, trying to take 'SC down. Make sure you let people know that it was Reggie throwing his team under the bus."

Bush has repeatedly said that neither he nor his family did anything wrong. His attorney, David Cornwell, declined to comment.

Lake and Michaels had courted Bush in hopes of signing him as the premier client for their fledgling marketing company, New Era Sports & Entertainment. They have previously stated, through their attorneys, that Griffin was involved in starting the company.

The deal fell apart when Bush chose an established marketing agent, Mike Ornstein.

Times staff writers Gary Klein and Sam Farmer contributed to this report.

david.wharton@latimes.com

One more story for good measure - I'm so happy today

Bush accuser believes USC coaches knew about violations. The man, who is suing the Heisman Trophy winner, said the coaches received an anonymous warning in 2005.

By MARK SAXON
The Orange County Register

The former San Diego sports marketer suing Reggie Bush for nearly $300,000 said Monday he thinks USC coaches knew Bush was taking money in violation of NCAA rules.

The man's testimony, which the NCAA already listened to as part of its investigation, could help determine whether - or how harshly - USC will be penalized for Bush's conduct, which allegedly took place during the 2004 and 2005 seasons.

"They knew Reggie was getting money from somewhere. They had to know," said Lloyd Lake. "Your family doesn't go from one extreme to the other, from barely making $1,400 a month in rent to paying a $4,200 (a month) mortgage, without that money coming from someone or somewhere."

Lake also said USC coaches received an anonymous e-mail in 2005 warning them that Bush was taking money and that Bush's parents then called Lake, "panicking."

USC coach Pete Carroll could not be reached for comment. A school spokesman said he could not comment, because the NCAA investigation is on-going.

Lake said he could not prove that USC coaches knew about the alleged payments.

Lake agreed to the interview Monday in advance of today's release of the book, "Tarnished Heisman," in which the alleged payments over a two-year period are detailed. The authors of the book, Don Yaeger and Jim Henry, acknowledge that Lake was compensated for his cooperation. Lake said he "sold the rights" to his story to the book's publisher, though he declined to say how much he received.

The book contains transcripts of secretly recorded conversations that Lake had separately with Bush and his stepfather, LaMar Griffin. Lake said he began taping the conversations when Griffin said he couldn't prove any of the cash payments.

"I knew a crime was being committed against me," Lake said. "If I didn't have those tapes, I would have been dead in the water. Who would they believe right now?"

Bush has repeatedly denied any wrongdoing. Lake's attorney, Brian Watkins, said Bush will give his deposition, under oath, in February via video conference. The case is being heard in San Diego.

Lake said he has no doubt he will win his case and that he suspects USC will be sanctioned.

"If we didn't do it, who did? If we didn't buy this stuff, who did? They didn't win the lottery," Lake said. "They didn't go from never going to an away game to going to every away game, including Hawaii. From Reggie getting a new car to them living in a new house - it's too much of a change in your lifestyle. They didn't get a raise."

If USC is found to have violated rules, it could be forced to forfeit victories from 2004 and 2005, including a national championship, and face other penalties.

If Bush is found retroactively ineligible, the Heisman committee could take away his 2005 trophy.

Interestingly, Lake, who has known Bush since his sophomore year of high school, said he doesn't want to see that happen.

"I don't want to see him lose it," Lake said. "The only thing I want is for him to admit he was wrong and pay back the money."

Lake said Bush originally offered a $500,000 settlement to him and his former business partner at New Era Sports, Michael Michaels, but that the men turned the offer down. Bush later settled with Michaels out of court and Lake said he tried to settle with him as well.

"We had talks, but it was still way under what I felt was fair," Lake said.

Do we get Marlon Brown or he another Adarius Bowman or Patrick Turner?

Marlon Brown and Patrick Turner are 5-stars according to rivals. Adarius Bowman was very underrated coming out of high school. He did not have near the fanfare of Brown and Turner. To answer your question, it appears that we are in good shape with Brown at this point in his recruiting. Long ways to go though.

Marlon Brown and Patrick Turner are 5-stars according to rivals. Adarius Bowman was very underrated coming out of high school. He did not have near the fanfare of Brown and Turner. To answer your question, it appears that we are in good shape with Brown at this point in his recruiting. Long ways to go though.

Bowman was a very highly rated 4 star player out of high school. I remember being very dissapointed when he didn't sign with UT.

I knew he wasnt a 5-star. Didnt remember him being that highly rated among the 4-stars. I stand corrected.

I know the hoopla surrounding Turner was unreal and while Bowman was anything but underrated he didn't get a quarter of the hype Turner had. If your putting Brown above Bowman and close to Turner level we can't let this big receiver leave the state.

I've compiled somewhat of a 2009 wishlist (very early) and feel free to comment or add players because frankly I've grown bored of talking about 2008 prospects

RB Ronnie Wingo St. Louis (rivals 4* #56rival100) 6'2 210 Both rivals and scout have us in the mix with FLA, ILL, MIZZOU, rivals has more. Just named to first team at the Army All-American Combine.

WR Marlon Brown Memphis (rivals 5* #11rivals100) 6'5 205. We can't let another big receiver leave the state.

QB Aaron Murray Tampa (rivals 4* #45rivals100) 6'1 200 Aaron just added UT and UGA to his list. I went to school with him for a year. I was a Sr. when he was a Fr. He ended up transferring the next year to a football powerhouse. Kid is tough as nails, one of the most competitive kids I've ever been around. Threw a state record 51 TD passes last season as a junior.

RB Edwin Baker Oak Park, MI (no stars) 5'10 200 Sub 4.4 speed. Look to be in the early mix with FLA, Iowa, Michigan, and Okla.

OT Xavier Nixon Fayettville, NC (4* rivals & scout #85rivals100) 6'6 280. Named first team OL at Army AA Combine. By rivals & scout list UT as an option, but he already has a load of offers.

OT Aubrey Phillips Memphis (no stars) 6'6' 310. Great size and timed at 5.1. Lists UT with Alabama, Ole Miss, and tiger High so far.

DE Chris Bonds Columbia, SC (4* #74 rivals100) 6'4 262. Be tough pulling him out of Columbia but if we expect to compete with the big boys we need to go after him. Obviously an elite prospect with offers already from UF, UGA, the U, ND, S. Carolina, and UT.

MLB Tana Patrick Stevenson, AL (4* #69 rivals100) 6'3 215. Listed as having 4.5 speed at his size. Was evidently at the "embarrassment in Tuscaloosa" watching the Vols 41-17 loss.

LB Derrick Webb Memphis (no stars) 6'1 215. Evidently a suprise at the Army AA combine earning first team honors. No college choices listed on rivals or scout.

CB Damien Thigpen Manassas, VA (4* #100 Rivals100) 5'9 170. Both scout and rivals list a 4.34-40 time. I can't argue with that.

DB Gene Robinson Memphis (no stars) 5'11 175. An honorable mention at the Army AA Combine. Has offers from Ole Miss and Tiger High at the moment. Receiving a lot of interest from Ar-Kansas, UT, and Vandy. A 3.9 student he specifically said he likes Vandy a lot in a scout interview because of its academics.

S Demario Jeffrey Columbia, SC (no stars) 6'4 215. Rivals lists Clemson as the leader. We'd probably make him a linebacker, but I'd love to see a 6'4 215 DB with 4.5 speed.

ATH Chad Bumphis Tupelo, MS (4* #94 rivals100) 5'11 185. A receiver or DB, he has 4.4 speed and a 34 inch vert. Ala, Aub, Ole Miss, and Miss St. are also in the mix.

ATH Stephon Gilmore Rock Hill, SC (4* #42 rivals100) 6'1 180.

Any comments, info, additions would be great.

nice job pricevol...I hate to buy into hype, but I want Brown more than anyone at this point.

Brentwood Academy (Auburn pipeline) will have some very good players next year. There's also Eric Gordon(Hillsboro), T. Jefferson(Ensworth), and Tait(Knox Catholic).

Brentwood Academy (Auburn pipeline) will have some very good players next year. There's also Eric Gordon(Hillsboro), T. Jefferson(Ensworth), and Tait(Knox Catholic).

Good to know. I saw some guys out of Brentwood, but couldn't find much info on them. We haven't had much luck recruiting there either, hopefully that'll change.

yea i completely understand that. The only thing I'm honestly concerned about is our two biggest rivals Alabama and Florida. Both of those schools are on the majority of next years recruits list. While Tennessee is not on many at all. I have faith they can get some studs.

I think the way recruits pick changes year to year they see a school that is loaded ie bama and fla and think how much playing time will I have? Playing time is the # 1 thing that most look at along with distance from home and family and friend connections to a school and so is saying this its impossible to think like an 18 year old.

Matt Barkaley (sp) 6'3'' QB from California is the #1 recruit next year by rivals. he lists the vols but is believed to be a Southern Cal lock. he watched the vols during the outback bowl (he was there accepting a award). so im hoping that he thinks highly of us now.

Barkley is a very good QB out here...but he will most likely go to USC or UCLA...unless by some miracle we end up getting him :no:

that article just said carrol lookin at them and he is wideopen right now with no leaders but did take an unofficial visit to tennesse for the soout caro game and enjoyed it

VN Store

Back