Neyland Stadium Panorama (7/29/13)

There NEVER is ... UT (like govt organizations do) lies shamelessly about attendance figures at EVERY game. 61K at O/W game? No. Look at the pics and you decide if that stadium was 60% full.

I don't care what metric they "claim" to use to determine the number. They, I, and anyone who pays the least attention knows that it's just plain deceit.

But, boy do they love to toss out the "UT BBall was ranked #x in attendance nationwide last year". Hmmm, I wonder where they got the numbers.

Embarrsin' if yask me. :blush:

Seems like you have stumbled upon a cottage industry here. Maybe the government, all stadiums, and any festival organizer should simply call you to tell them (by simply looking at pictures, or by being in the crowd) exactly how many people are there.

My question to you is this: If you are suggesting that you have never seen a crowd that had the correct attendance numbers published, how do you know what a crowd of X size actually looks like if you were always told that it was Y?

I am just curious where your base line judgment comes from. For the record, I do believe that many times crowd numbers are over-published. I also know that many times crowd numbers are under-published for similar political/economical reasons.

Reactions: 2 people
But, boy do they love to toss out the "UT BBall was ranked #x in attendance nationwide last year". Hmmm, I wonder where they got the numbers.

Number of tickets sold, which is > actual attendance because some people don't show up.

:hi:Thanks for posting. Would love to have this pic with the field painted and ready to play. AWESOME
T6X85ES.jpg

31 days until this photo has 102,455 more people in it.

31 days until the student section smells of Tennessee whiskey.

31 days until fists up.

31 days until Coach Butch Jones is marching up and down the sidelines.

31 days until Coach Butch Jones is chest bumping the young men who give their all for Tennessee today.

31 days until a new era of Tennessee football begins that none of us will ever forget.

31 days until life gets much more interesting for all of us.

GBO.

I always have a great time at games. I just don't sugar-coat things. If the stadium isn't full, it isn't full. That doesn't take away from the enjoyment.

I hope there's four fat people sitting on both sides of you and your party! :machgun:

If you have ever made a true statement, saying that you "don't sugar-coat things" is definitely one of them!!:good!:

Sorry. 85% capacity didn't have the same ring to it.

Me and my friends are going to do our part to show our appreciation to the new staff for all of their hard work in the off season by showing up to the opener.

I'll be there aswell, section N!

Ive been going to Neyland since 1981. The crowd is not the same. I went last year too the mizzou game they were louder than we were. That is General Neyland stadium and our stadium we built it together. So please be ready when you come to the game be loud for our team they feed off are energy. I was very disapointed in pregame. Its just not the same that im accumotized to seeing and hearing. I cant stress this enough. If you love the VOLS then show up please no more nappiers ive sit by u before u make me sick.

Reactions: 1 person
Ive been going to Neyland since 1981. The crowd is not the same. I went last year too the mizzou game they were louder than we were. That is General Neyland stadium and our stadium we built it together. So please be ready when you come to the game be loud for our team they feed off are energy. I was very disapointed in pregame. Its just not the same that im accumotized to seeing and hearing. I cant stress this enough. If you love the VOLS then show up please no more nappiers ive sit by u before u make me sick.

Give em heck.

The wife and I are proudly driving 12 hours to Knoxville to see it in person. Our Tickets arrived today! GoVols!

Reactions: 1 person
I hope there's four fat people sitting on both sides of you and your party! :machgun:

If you have ever made a true statement, saying that you "don't sugar-coat things" is definitely one of them!!:good!:

Why the hate...then the love? :crazy:

All of this talk will be moot when we start winning again. That really is the problem and that's it! People can talk all day long about the economy, HDTV's, internet streaming, etc but the reality is a LOT of tickets sales go to casual/fare weather fans. Those fans will not come when we suck. We HAVE to start winning again. Fix that first and the crowd attendance will fix itself!

All of this talk will be moot when we start winning again. That really is the problem and that's it! People can talk all day long about the economy, HDTV's, internet streaming, etc but the reality is a LOT of tickets sales go to casual/fare weather fans. Those fans will not come when we suck. We HAVE to start winning again. Fix that first and the crowd attendance will fix itself!

Winning will help, but HDTV is an issue. I'm going to the UF game this year and it will cost around a grand between tix, hotels, booze, food, etc.

Take that grand and go to best buy and see what you can get.....A TON of A/V equipment.

I get the point of being at the stadium but you have to look at the economics vs the product produced by the networks.

Winning will help, but HDTV is an issue. I'm going to the UF game this year and it will cost around a grand between tix, hotels, booze, food, etc.

Take that grand and go to best buy and see what you can get.....A TON of A/V equipment.

I get the point of being at the stadium but you have to look at the economics vs the product produced by the networks.

Is it an issue at Alabama? Is it an issue at aTm right now? Is it an issue at Notre Dame? How about Oregon? How about Ohio State? How about LSU? How about Georgia? I'm just saying the programs that are winning don't seem to be having a problem filling up their stadiums. Mark my words, winning will cure this.

BTW, why would you cite your travel/game day expenses for an away game as an example for poor HOME game attendance? One has nothing to do with the other.

Last edited:
Is it an issue at Alabama? Is it an issue at aTm right now? Is it an issue at Notre Dame? How about Oregon? How about Ohio State? How about LSU? How about Georgia? I'm just saying the programs that are winning don't seem to be having a problem filling up their stadiums. Mark my words, winning will cure this.

BTW, why would you cite your travel/game day expenses for an away game as an example for poor HOME game attendance? One has nothing to do with the other.

How many UT fans from outside of Knoxville attend games? It's the same conceptually. If you have to travel, get hotels, dine out, it's all the same.

I agree that winning will help, some. But keep in mind the ticket prices continue to climb. It used to be the cost of tickets were minor in comparison to the overall costs.

How many UT fans from outside of Knoxville attend games? It's the same conceptually. If you have to travel, get hotels, dine out, it's all the same.

I agree that winning will help, some. But keep in mind the ticket prices continue to climb. It used to be the cost of tickets were minor in comparison to the overall costs.

I've always wondered what percentage of season ticket holders live outside of Knoxville. I'd imagine it's probably higher than most people think.

I've always wondered what percentage of season ticket holders live outside of Knoxville. I'd imagine it's probably higher than most people think.

You're probably right. However I don't necessarily think the season ticket holders are the ones that really make the difference in terms of average attendance. I think it's the casual/bandwagon fan that makes the big difference. They are the ones that show up when the team is winning and they are the ones who stay home when the team is losing. If we start winning again, the casuals will start coming back and we'll start seeing home game attendance climb back up to that 100,000+ average again. I just think people are too quick to blame HDTV's and ticket prices on poor attendance. I tend to think it's more because we've sucked for the last 5 years.

Last edited:
You're probably right. However I don't necessarily think the season ticket holders are the ones that really make the difference in terms of average attendance. I think it's the casual/bandwagon fan that makes the big difference. They are the ones that show up when the team is winning and they are the ones who stay home when the team is losing. If we start winning again, the casuals will start coming back and we'll start seeing home game attendance climb back up to that 100,000+ average again. I just think people are too quick to blame HDTV's and ticket prices on poor attendance. I tend to think it's more because we've sucked for the last 5 years.

I agree with that. If we were winning right now I still don't know if we'd be selling out every game though. The HDTV thing does make a difference but the majority of the attendance problem is due to the lack of winning and to a lesser extent the economy IMO.

Really hope Butch is the guy, cause it's a lot more fun at Neyland with a loud sellout crowd.

Last edited:

I agree with that. If we were winning right now I still don't know if we'd be selling out every game though. The HDTV thing does make a difference but the majority of the attendance problem is due to the lack of winning and to a lesser extent the economy IMO.

Really hope Butch is the guy, cause it's a lot more fun at Neyland with a loud sellout crowd.

I agree with both of your assessments. Winning does help, but there is no way you can bank on sellouts against the likes of APSU, WKU, and South Alabama. It's a double-edged sword. The team needs wins (cupcakes) and they need fans in the stadium.

I agree with both of your assessments. Winning does help, but there is no way you can bank on sellouts against the likes of APSU, WKU, and South Alabama. It's a double-edged sword. The team needs wins (cupcakes) and they need fans in the stadium.

You know, thinking back, did we sell those kinds of games out even back when were great? I honestly don't know but that would be interesting to find out. Without really knowing for sure, I'd be willing to bet that even back in the 90's and early 2000's, we didn't sell out every single home game, especially against the cupcakes.

You know, thinking back, did we sell those kinds of games out even back when were great? I honestly don't know but that would be interesting to find out. Without really knowing for sure, I'd be willing to bet that even back in the 90's and early 2000's, we didn't sell out every single home game, especially against the cupcakes.

Good point. Yes, they were pretty much packed. A few things to consider:

The student section was always packed because tickets were part of the activities fees.

UT WAS WINNING...to your point

There weren't 25 other games on TV that day in HD...to my point.

However, I would give a slight nod to winning being a more important factor. For me, it was a lot easier tolerating a directional school game knowing they wouldn't be the only wins on the schedule outside of UK or Vandy.

Good point. Yes, they were pretty much packed. A few things to consider:

The student section was always packed because tickets were part of the activities fees.

UT WAS WINNING...to your point

There weren't 25 other games on TV that day in HD...to my point.

However, I would give a slight nod to winning being a more important factor. For me, it was a lot easier tolerating a directional school game knowing they wouldn't be the only wins on the schedule outside of UK or Vandy.

For myself, I live in Chattanooga and I usually attend 2...maybe 3 games a year. I guess from an attendance standpoint I would be considered a casual fan. For me, I usually try to go to games against opponents I've never seen before. Like last year I saw Troy and Mizzouri. This year I'm going to Austin Peay (mostly because it's CBJ's innaugural game as UT's coach and it will be our 800th win), Auburn, and South Carolina. But regardless of how good we are I GO to those 2-3 games every year. However I guarantee you this, if I lived in Knoxville I would go to more games!

The grass does not look like it is in good shape? But I guess the pic is just overexposed from the lights?

VN Store

Back