Neyland walk-on challenge

Have a bunch of stories from the mid 80s of us high school kids just walking right into Neyland at night, playing football on the hard turf, drinking some beers and even trying to get Lucky ;)

Sometimes security would just wave to us and tell us to be safe.

We never vandalized anything. Never left behind trash or empty beer cans because we respected Neyland's House but we did have some great times!!

Go VOLS!!!

My experience was in 98-02. After 9/11, things changed and it was pretty difficult to get in and given the climate at the time, it was understandable.

But before that - man, what a time. The only time anyone got caught or noticed was when another group of idiots would come in and trash the place. Security would make some examples of anyone that showed any lip. But if you were cool and respectful, they’d just turn their heads and go on about their business as if they never saw you. Campus police came in a couple times, but were always real nice once they determined we were students. Was a nice respite from the hustle and bustle of campus and one of the best places to get away and relax with friends.

My son is there now, things have changed but not entirely 🤣

So....while this is cool....

Couldn't this guy get prosecuted for trespassing?
Probably, but I watch most of his videos and he’s usually very considerate. He doesn’t ignore signage. He only goes in doors or gates that are open or unlocked. Never tries to hop fences or anything. If anyone tells him he needs to go he instantly complies. Almost always results in at worst an “oh okay, but you have to go now.”

Reactions: Volfan1000
Have a bunch of stories from the mid 80s of us high school kids just walking right into Neyland at night, playing football on the hard turf, drinking some beers and even trying to get Lucky ;)

Sometimes security would just wave to us and tell us to be safe.

We never vandalized anything. Never left behind trash or empty beer cans because we respected Neyland's House but we did have some great times!!

Go VOLS!!!

I have a similar experience from 1982 during the Worlds Fair. A couple of friends of mine and I were at the Fair and afterwards, I asked if they wanted to see the stadium. The south entrance was completely open and we walked in and onto the field. It was during the afternoon but we didn't see anyone around. Standing at the 50 yard line and looking up to the press box was awesome.

Reactions: BleedinOrangeinPA
Let's just say it's a good thing that there were no video cameras around UT facilities in the 70's when I was there.

VN Store

Back