Nick Saban Retiring - CONFIRMED

I really thought he would wait and retire once he had won another championship. This might mean that he knows next year is extremely unlikely for the tide
The 12 team playoff changes everything IMO. Many more opportunities to trip up

Reactions: OrangeBloodinTN
Whats weird is he was interviewing wide receiver coaches then retired.
Yeah, this makes absolutely ZERO sense. If you know you are going to retire, you „reschedule“ the interview and let the next guy handle it. Only rational reason otherwise would be if the candidate had actually flown in for an in person interview instead of remote. Then you really have no choice.
Still, this is an indication that the decision was finalized very recently.

I don't find this strange at all. A surprise, sure. But not strange.

Imagine you're Saban. You know you might retire any time, you've been telling the AD to be ready for months. But you've never felt that NOW is the time to pull the trigger.

So you go into work. Schedule for the day includes interviews with WR coaching candidates. You get on with the day.

Then, either because you get a phone call (Ms Terry asking you can't you spend the day with me today, or the doctor giving you the bad news that some illness is progressing more rapidly than anticipated), or just because you sit back in the chair and say, "my heart's not in this any more, I just want to be retired," and you make the decision.

Call the AD. Call your wife. Tell the director of football operations to schedule a team meeting this afternoon.

It could be that simple.

Doesn't always have to be some great mystery.

Definitely could use some more players on the offensive line. I do think we are being more selective than most due to our scholarship reductions.
With the dominos falling in the upcoming coaching carousel spin….the transfer portal with its 30 day window for players at teams undergoing a coaching change, the portal is about to become the wild Wild West in a way we never imagined
2780AC08-701F-4E64-B59F-04C3F6042CA2.gif

Imagine you're Saban. You know you might retire any time, you've been telling the AD to be ready for months. But you've never felt that NOW is the time to pull the trigger.

So you go into work. Schedule for the day includes interviews with WR coaching candidates. You get on with the day.

Then, either because you get a phone call (Ms Terry asking you can't you spend the day with me today, or the doctor giving you the bad news that some illness is progressing more rapidly than anticipated), or just because you sit back in the chair and say, "my heart's not in this any more, I just want to be retired," and you make the decision.

Call the AD. Call your wife. Tell the director of football operations to schedule a team meeting this afternoon.

It could be that simple.

I see your point

Reactions: VFL-82-JP
You just have to wonder what changed in a short period of time. If he had woke up that morning and had decided to retire then why conduct interviews? If he’s interviewing these coaches does one of them say something that gives him an epiphany and he says forget this I don’t want to do this anymore?

It could be that simple.

Exactly right. Interviews scheduled way in advance. Maybe they're already in town. Interview them and leave notes for the new coach.

I don't understand the need to insult coaches that are obviously competent and successful. Seems dumb.
your take is noted and a little bit holier than thou in my opinion. I don’t like the guy mostly because he never resists an opportunity to take shots at his coaching colleagues. Especially when his efforts miss frequently the mark of what a high paid coach is expected to accomplish. One good season at Mizzou does not a good SEC coach make.

Whats weird is he was interviewing wide receiver coaches then retired.

Imagine your coaching claim to fame is: "I am the interview that made Saban decide he didn't want to do this anymore".

pete caroll and nick saban retiring from coaching in the same day is wild
Can't wait for the insipid insurance commercials next year.

Glad we "shorted the game". We'll probably see more of those two than ever.

This is the chance for Heupel to make up for any roster deficiencies and raid the Bama roster. We can finally pick up a game breaking S like Downs and shore up our OL for the future by getting a guy like Proctor. Coach needs to get on this ASAP, until now, his roster management has been abysmal and we can right the ship in a 2 week span. All in to win it with Nicoooooooo!
Good thing Heupel has an advisor like you to set him straight.

What was to stop other colleges from paying player? Ethics? Please. Auburn did it, plenty of others. Probably most everybody.
The NCAA and SEC holding other programs to different standards. Plenty of evidence out there. You just going to ignore all the bs we had to deal with for doing the same stuff that Bama didn't even have to hide?

Imagine your coaching claim to fame is: "I am the interview that made Saban decide he didn't want to do this anymore".
After the 3rd interview from a GenZ coach asking about work life balance, DEI programs, environmental responsibilities, and weekends off I imagine he said screw this.

Reactions: McDad
Lane went 11-2 with Ole Miss. You do not want him at Bama, trust me on this one.
In a down year for Auburn and A&M with Tulane the only decent out of conference team they played. Don’t get me wrong, he had a good year but until he starts stringing them together over time he will still be the 8-4 coach he’s been everywhere. Yes he will go 10-2 one year and then historically he has a 6-6 type year to offset it. We shall see how the next couple years go if he stays but I’m betting at least one is 5+ losses.

In a down year for Auburn and A&M with Tulane the only decent out of conference team they played. Don’t get me wrong, he had a good year but until he starts stringing them together over time he will still be the 8-4 coach he’s been everywhere. Yes he will go 10-2 one year and then historically he has a 6-6 type year to offset it. We shall see how the next couple years go if he stays but I’m betting at least one is 5+ losses.

I hope Alabama hires Kiffin, I really do. I think he would crash and burn there. A program like Ole Miss is perfect for him.

After the 3rd interview from a GenZ coach asking about work life balance, DEI programs, environmental responsibilities, and weekends off I imagine he said screw this.
interviewing coach:

"Uh, nice to meet you, coach Saban. Lemme get started by saying my pronouns are he/him, I identify as a non binary, gender-fluid pagan, and I feel strongly my duty as coach is to give the less talented athletes an opportunity to experience privilege".

interviewing coach:

"Uh, nice to meet you, coach Saban. Lemme get started by saying my pronouns are he/him, I identify as a non binary, gender-fluid pagan, and I feel strongly my duty as coach is to give the less talented athletes an opportunity to experience privilege".
"I feel strongly about being able to work from home at least half of my 40 hour work week."

Reactions: McDad

VN Store

Back