Nico’s Greatest Threat to Winning Heisman

I Love Lamp

Look at this stupid username
If Nico is going to have any shot at the Heisman, Dylan Sampson will have to slow his roll and let Nico actually have to carry us to some wins.

The guy is scoring a touchdown on 20% of the times the ball is handed to him. Averaging 7.9 a carry on 45 carries and 10 a reception on 7 receptions.

Dylan has 9 touchdowns while playing maybe 6 quarters of football. He had 8 touchdowns the entire year last year, heck Jaylen Wright only had 4!

Truly crazy problem to have. Nico is incredible, we have all already seen it but so many folks sleeping on Dylan and what he has done in such short work this year is insane. If he keeps those numbers up this coming weekend people better wake up. I understand that production won’t be sustainable as games get tougher but he is only 4 touchdowns away from tying the total he and Jaylen had in 2023.

Neither are probably going to get the Heisman but we probably should push for both. I think pushing for both actually helps the other in a way as it keeps focus on this team.

Another issue with Tennessee is that outside of a span in 2022, the 1998 season, and the 1999 season, we have rarely been an "it" team that is truly on top of the sport. I think that hurts us on getting a Heisman. Even Peyton Manning in 1997 had some rough losses like Florida and had issues with teams like Vandy.

If Nico is going to have any shot at the Heisman, Dylan Sampson will have to slow his roll and let Nico actually have to carry us to some wins.

The guy is scoring a touchdown on 20% of the times the ball is handed to him. Averaging 7.9 a carry on 45 carries and 10 a reception on 7 receptions.

Dylan has 9 touchdowns while playing maybe 6 quarters of football. He had 8 touchdowns the entire year last year, heck Jaylen Wright only had 4!

Truly crazy problem to have. Nico is incredible, we have all already seen it but so many folks sleeping on Dylan and what he has done in such short work this year is insane. If he keeps those numbers up this coming weekend people better wake up. I understand that production won’t be sustainable as games get tougher but he is only 4 touchdowns away from tying the total he and Jaylen had in 2023.

You should slow down a bit, the dude has played 4 games and only the 1st half in two of those. There are plenty of great players with better numbers right now.

He is playing well above his age and will continue to get better, but please.....he hasn't played an SEC game yet. Let's just enjoy the moment, enjoy be good again, and let awards fall where they may. Not winning the heisman worked out pretty good for another UT QB

Last edited:
I will say this for Nico, the sports media seems to really love that guy and so do the sports talkers on YouTube...
He plays well and wins the big games and he very well could be in NY

Reactions: chuckiepoo
If we are being honest he currently doesn’t have the stats to compete for the Heisman. I don’t think he is currently in most people’s top 10 for the race.

I think the potential for him and Sampson is there. But where it currently stands there are people with better stats and bigger games at the current position.

We of course are still getting into the bread and butter of the season so a lot can change.

But just naming two neither are above Ewers or Jenty.

Reactions: chuck0303

Don't over blow this. How many TDs against really good football teams? Give the guy credit & accolades, but temper with the ones over cupcakes.

I sure hope he does! BUT I really hope he’s more focused on wins than padding stats and making highlight plays. Next year he has the potential to be the star and main focus. This year, I just want Nico to make the plays when he has too and let the team carry us to the playoffs.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Heupels love for the run and the fear of injuring a million dollar investment in garbage time are what will keep him from winning it. Kind of like how it was said that Dean Smith was the only person who could keep Michael under 30 points.

The number of people not reading the part I said about it not likely he sustains this production as the schedule gets harder is depressing. I am simply trying to shine the spotlight on a kid that deserves it. Show me another player in all of college football that has done the same thing in 6 quarters regardless of competition.

If we ball out against Bama and Jawja, I mean really ball out, and get into the playoffs as well, there's a chance one of guys getting consideration for Heisman trophy. Until then, you overexcited Vols fans need to do themselves a favor:
View attachment 677392
I am in no way saying that I think either wins the Heisman. Nico is considered a candidate by every credible media outlet as well as every sports book in the country. I am simply saying he isn’t going to win if Dylan keeps this up because Nico won’t even need to put up the numbers to win it.

I seriously do not understand the people on this forum that insist on trying to spin everything negatively and crap on any sort of positivity.

Firstly no RB has won since Derrick Henry. Like the MVP in the NFL it would take an extraordinary campaign for any RB to win the Heisman.
Secondly, I think the biggest threat to Nico winning the Heisman is keeping numbers up against lesser opponents. As it stands now Nico is 6th in yards and tied for 4th in TD in just the SEC at this point. Creaming opponents early can do that for QB stats. It's entirely possible snaps could be limited for Nico and Dylan against KY, MSSt & Vandy. At least somewhat possible against AR and even FL and basically a given against UTEP.

The real key is does he look really good, statement game good, against OK/AL/GA. If Nico balls out under the big lights that will carry some weight beyond raw stas in most voters eyes but stats will still matter.

Firstly no RB has won since Derrick Henry. Like the MVP in the NFL it would take an extraordinary campaign for any RB to win the Heisman.
Secondly, I think the biggest threat to Nico winning the Heisman is keeping numbers up against lesser opponents. As it stands now Nico is 6th in yards and tied for 4th in TD in just the SEC at this point. Creaming opponents early can do that for QB stats. It's entirely possible snaps could be limited for Nico and Dylan against KY, MSSt & Vandy. At least somewhat possible against AR and even FL and basically a given against UTEP.

The real key is does he look really good, statement game good, against OK/AL/GA. If Nico balls out under the big lights that will carry some weight beyond raw stas in most voters eyes but stats will still matter.
Agreed and that was really what I was getting regarding the blowout wins you mentioned. Dylan has been a touchdown machine in these games against lesser opponents and, if that continues even just against half the teams you listed out, there is no way Nico’s stats get where they would need to be in the eyes of voters. Definitely don’t think Dylan wins the Heisman but it appears we have a beautiful two headed monster in our backfield with Nico and Dylan.

I am in no way saying that I think either wins the Heisman. Nico is considered a candidate by every credible media outlet as well as every sports book in the country. I am simply saying he isn’t going to win if Dylan keeps this up because Nico won’t even need to put up the numbers to win it.

I seriously do not understand the people on this forum that insist on trying to spin everything negatively and crap on any sort of positivity.
I said the same thing in my own roundabout way. That might be why you don't understand me. As the Greeks suggested, "Know thy self."

VN Store

Back