Nico's time to shine

#1n51&98

VFL
Through 4 games , we have a top 5 defense, top 5 special teams and top 5 run game . If we are going to make a run at a championship ( SEC or National ) we have to get the passing game dialed in . Receivers have to get separation, pass protection needs to be better , from O-Line , tight ends and running backs . Nico needs to get rid of the ball quicker. This week and next week is our last chance to work on the passing game , before we get the the meat of our SEC schedule . I look for Nico and the rest of our offense to put up huge numbers this week and next . GO VOLS !

Arkansas runs a similar D to OU, but they are not as athletic. This is the perfect time for Nico to take the challenge head on and start threading the needle into zone windows.

I think we see Nico and Heupel probe this D early through the air to see if they are ready or not. If we hit a few good throws early, it could spell disaster for Arkansas because it will be hard for them to cover the run and passing game at the same time with the talent they have.

Through 4 games , we have a top 5 defense, top 5 special teams and top 5 run game . If we are going to make a run at a championship ( SEC or National ) we have to get the passing game dialed in . Receivers have to get separation, pass protection needs to be better , from O-Line , tight ends and running backs . Nico needs to get rid of the ball quicker. This week and next week is our last chance to work on the passing game , before we get the the meat of our SEC schedule . I look for Nico and the rest of our offense to put up huge numbers this week and next . GO VOLS !
We ordered our SEC Championship tickets from UT yesterday.

We got faith we headed in right direction.

Our WRs need to be more consistent. Squirrel is generally the fastest man in the stadium but he can’t keep his feet under him. Thornton will be a stud for about one explosive play per game then disappear. Bru is pretty reliable but him and Nico seem to be on different pages too often. We have the pieces there, have the athleticism; this should be one of the best WR rooms in the country but they still haven’t taken that next step yet. If they ever do this team could win it all.

I didn’t even speak to the depth of the position either.

I heard some comparisons to Hooker recently, saying no one might ever be as good at running Heuple’s offense as Hooker was. I think a lot of people are forgetting Nico is a redshirt freshman throwing behind a lackluster line. Not only was Hooker a 4th and 5th year player by the time he started, he had a better line than Nico does—both years.

We haven’t seen a freshman sling the ball like he does. This is on the OL.

How we don’t have the same level of talent that he possesses protecting him is beyond me. But, if he gets better than average protection, I am confident he will put the ball where it needs to be—and to your point—if the receivers get open.

Reactions: EZE and #1n51&98
Our WRs need to be more consistent. Squirrel is generally the fastest man in the stadium but he can’t keep his feet under him. Thornton will be a stud for about one explosive play per game then disappear. Bru is pretty reliable but him and Nico seem to be on different pages too often. We have the pieces there, have the athleticism; this should be one of the best WR rooms in the country but they still haven’t taken that next step yet. If they ever do this team could win it all.

I didn’t even speak to the depth of the position either.
I wouldn't mind seeing Matthews get a few more touches .

I heard some comparisons to Hooker recently, saying no one might ever be as good at running Heuple’s offense as Hooker was. I think a lot of people are forgetting Nico is a redshirt freshman throwing behind a lackluster line. Not only was Hooker a 4th and 5th year player by the time he started, he had a better line than Nico does—both years.

How we don’t have the same level of talent that he possesses protecting him is beyond me. But, if he gets better than average protection, I am confident he will put the ball where it needs to be—and to your point—if the receivers get open.
Nico has all world potential for sure .
It seems to me like we have recruited as well on the O-Line as we have on the D-Line , but up to this point CRG has got more out of his guys than CGE has . My hope is that,
starting tonight in Fayetteville Arkansas . Our O-Line can take some major strides forward . Which would allow our Offense to reach its full ( EXPLOSIVE ) potential .

This all day long.

1. Nico has only started 5 games in his career.
2. Nico has incredible arm talent.
3. Heupel and crew have shown that the can develop QBs.

I like this combination.

OP I’m with you but just for kicks, what’s your opinion on Nico and Josh going forward if Nico continues to be a “game manager” relying and the defense without putting up big numbers? Is it it indicative of lack of trust in Nico or simply just trying to win games conservatively?

As other posters have said in different threads and I believe this to be the real factor for Nico: how well can the O-line protect him and give him time to throw. You know Arky has studied the OK game and will come after him early to test the O-line. If they fail the test Hype will have to change the game plan which of course will make the game a lot closer than we fans want.

Reactions: #1n51&98
Just listened to Tony Basilio on the Chase Thomas podcast. And he said he expects Matthews to get more playing time moving forward. He also said he believes that this game and the UF game will be used to tune up the passing game.

I hope he is right. Our passing game needs to step it up.

Just listened to Tony Basilio on the Chase Thomas podcast. And he said he expects Matthews to get more playing time moving forward. He also said he believes that this game and the UF game will be used to tune up the passing game.

I hope he is right. Our passing game needs to step it up.
He has a LOT of talent. He will improve the offense when he plays.

VN Store

Back