NIL - Transfer Portal. Interesting article

OrangeBeachVol

Article brought up some good points on both and a solution. Wanted to see what VN thought about it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The biggest misnomer of current college football change: NIL is killing the game.
Coaches don’t care that players make money on their name, image and likeness. It’s a headache, but it’s not a problem.

The problem for coaches and administrators is player movement, and how to prevent a player you’ve signed from high school and developed over the course of a career, from walking away at any time, for any reason. Without consequence. That’s where NIL enters the picture because of its ability to entice players to leave a team. NIL is the fuel, but the engine is free player movement — one free transfer during a career, or unlimited as a graduate transfer.

Roster management has always been the lifeblood of the sport. You recruit players, you develop, you wins games and maybe win a championship. Movement and retention were never part of the equation until now. Understand this: There’s only one way to control player movement. “Shared revenue,” an SEC athletic director told SDS. “We all know it. But how do we get there with a system that’s fair and equitable for everyone? That’s the real Project X.” Getting there likely means players becoming employees, and collectively bargaining for a share of media rights.

This is where we are headed, who wants in? It will include shared revenue. It will include internal rules enforcement. Hell, it may include their own commissioner (hello, Nick).

Here’s what it won’t include: free player movement.

Article brought up some good points on both and a solution. Wanted to see what VN thought about it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The biggest misnomer of current college football change: NIL is killing the game.
Coaches don’t care that players make money on their name, image and likeness. It’s a headache, but it’s not a problem.

The problem for coaches and administrators is player movement, and how to prevent a player you’ve signed from high school and developed over the course of a career, from walking away at any time, for any reason. Without consequence. That’s where NIL enters the picture because of its ability to entice players to leave a team. NIL is the fuel, but the engine is free player movement — one free transfer during a career, or unlimited as a graduate transfer.

Roster management has always been the lifeblood of the sport. You recruit players, you develop, you wins games and maybe win a championship. Movement and retention were never part of the equation until now. Understand this: There’s only one way to control player movement. “Shared revenue,” an SEC athletic director told SDS. “We all know it. But how do we get there with a system that’s fair and equitable for everyone? That’s the real Project X.” Getting there likely means players becoming employees, and collectively bargaining for a share of media rights.

This is where we are headed, who wants in? It will include shared revenue. It will include internal rules enforcement. Hell, it may include their own commissioner (hello, Nick).

Well, didn't our beloved UT just poached a coach from Alabama before the ink dried on the contract? I don't know anything, but if coaches can move about that easy, dislike though I do, maybe players should have the same leniency.

Shared revenue will never be a factor in limiting transfers. If revenue is the same at Nevada as it is at Alabama, Alabama's NIL collectives are still going to outbid a smaller school every time.

There isn't going to ever be shared revenue from NIL, since that's not subject to any kind of 3rd party interference.

Also, with NIL and Sherman Act issues, that's going to allow player movement no matter who doesn't like it.

Well, didn't our beloved UT just poached a coach from Alabama before the ink dried on the contract? I don't know anything, but if coaches can move about that easy, dislike though I do, maybe players should have the same leniency.

Most coaches have a buyout in their contract if they leave. Are you suggesting players would have to pay to get a release?

I read the article on shared revenue like the NIL would go away and shared media rights would replace it. That may not be correct but how I read it.

Reactions: Voltopia
Identifies the problem fairly well (it's the transferring, not the $$-making). But totally whiffs on the solution.

Confused universities and NIL coops. Can't force the latter into collective bargaining, even if you wanted to (and who would?).

Even if they didn't get that wrong, leveling the monetary playing field would not significantly reduce the # of transfers, which primarily happen for playing time, not NIL $$$.

Makes little sense, once you scratch the veneer just a bit to see underneath.

Go Vols!

p.s. Even used "misnomer" wrong. They probably meant "misconception." Misnomers are about names being inaccurate.

Last edited:

I started a thread in the NCAA forum that didn’t get traction but I will say that NIL is here to stay the NCAA mistake is trying to regulate instead of embracing. Embracing will fix the transfer issues but will introduce out in the open high bid pay for play. Here were my comments when I opened that thread:

The NCAA as usual continues to put its head in sand and fails to evolve.

My suggestion to NCAA is instead of trying to regulate NIL, instead of banning Pay to Play, instead of making players employees and risk falling foul of Title IX….Embrace NIL collectives to the fullest.

Let collectives negotiate out in open with players and write any thing they want in contract.

Mr Player
- You Want a guaranteed 2m a year
- You want an extra 1m bonus if you win the Heisman
- You want an extra 1k for each tackle
- you want an extra 10k for each 100 yard game

Collective
- sure, no problem but we want
- 3 year playing commitment
- Option on your fourth year of CFB if you don’t turn pro early
- If you go to another school we don’t have to pay you
- All of this is guaranteed if you play for UT and only UT
- If you don’t play for UT, we still hold your rights and you get no pay to play for scum Bama even from Bama collective.

My point is, let’s embrace NIL, make it true pay to play and take out the incentives for the constant rebidding of NIL deals and portal transfers every year.

i think embracing NIL and making it real contracts would solve some of the current problems at least for top talent.

Most coaches have a buyout in their contract if they leave. Are you suggesting players would have to pay to get a release?
To quote my post you refer to: I don't know anything,

Last edited:
I started a thread in the NCAA forum that didn’t get traction but I will say that NIL is here to stay the NCAA mistake is trying to regulate instead of embracing. Embracing will fix the transfer issues but will introduce out in the open high bid pay for play. Here were my comments when I opened that thread:

My suggestion to NCAA is instead of trying to regulate NIL, instead of banning Pay to Play, instead of making players employees and risk falling foul of Title IX….Embrace NIL collectives to the fullest.

Let collectives negotiate out in open with players and write any thing they want in contract.

Mr Player

Collective
- If you don’t play for UT, we still hold your rights and you get no pay to play for scum Bama even from Bama collective.

My point is, let’s embrace NIL, make it true pay to play and take out the incentives for the constant rebidding of NIL deals and portal transfers every year.

i think embracing NIL and making it real contracts would solve some of the current problems at least for top talent.
All that would do is entice the best players to go to another collective/school that didn't have those restrictions instead of UT.

The collectives couldn't force that as a group, either. It would be a textbook antitrust law violation

Last edited:

Your comments are a possible solution but right now I think the NCAA is struggling with giving up their bullying tactic forcing schools to accept their rules and do not believe they have to embrace the truth. I think they will have to if they want to survive. Maybe reality will come clear with a few more legal defeats.

Mr Player

Collective

Doesn't this let the NIL Collective essentially become the General Manager for the college franchise? They build and maintain the roster, etc and "supposedly" the coaches and schools would be "separate."

How long do you think that ruse can hold up legally? How long before the lawsuit insisting, as would be the case, the school via the coaches is pulling the strings, insisting on the contracts, setting terms?

If not, you're taking the team out of the hands of the coach and putting it in the hands of the collective.

It's not very hard to see that this is a ruse to avoid employee status and collective bargaining.

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan

Mr Player

Collective

On surface, this is worth discussing.

Also, with NIL and Sherman Act issues, that's going to allow player movement no matter who doesn't like it.

All these issues that weren't issues for 100 years...and suddenly are.

It's the age we live in ---got to coddle the poor kids. A free and invaluable college education plus other benefits is not enough for the poor young men who suffer so on the practice and playing fields. Give them money to buy new and nice cars for themselves and their parents and a few hangers on. Give them a suitcase full of cash because, you know, they're being EXPLOITED. Let US do all we can for THEM....because they're football players, and, well, how do they do it. All that suffering for only a cheap free college education! They're so put upon....And if they want to take your money and run to another school after a year, well, they're entitled to do that....because they're football players....

It's the age we live in ---got to coddle the poor kids. A free and invaluable college education plus other benefits is not enough for the poor young men who suffer so on the practice and playing fields. Give them money to buy new and nice cars for themselves and their parents and a few hangers on. Give them a suitcase full of cash because, you know, they're being EXPLOITED. Let US do all we can for THEM....because they're football players, and, well, how do they do it. All that suffering for only a cheap free college education! They're so put upon....And if they want to take your money and run to another school after a year, well, they're entitled to do that....because they're football players....
Slavery nor suffrage for women wasn't a problem for about 100 years. I suppose correcting that injustice was coddling those folks too?

If you dislike the American system of justice working out problems via the court system, there's plenty of other countries out there.

These issues are being worked out in the courts, legally, as our country is supposed to work. You don't HAVE to like it, lots of people didn't like slavery ending nor women voting nor alcohol being legal, then illegal, then legal again but this country is quite beautiful and resilient.

You, however, appear to be a snowflake.

This is interesting. I do have a question and comment so, anyone who wants to, chime in.

Does shared revenue stop if a player gets kicked off the team? Will that be part of it?

Think about all of the players that the Saban’s have hordes just so team X would not have to face them. This ability to transfer negates that.

Reactions: VolTull

A little over-the-top but an "A" class rant nonetheless, turbo. Cat piss in your Wheaties? :)

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan
Your comments are a possible solution but right now I think the NCAA is struggling with giving up their bullying tactic forcing schools to accept their rules and do not believe they have to embrace the truth. I think they will have to if they want to survive. Maybe reality will come clear with a few more legal defeats.

the schools establish the rules that get enforced??

This is interesting. I do have a question and comment so, anyone who wants to, chime in.

Does shared revenue stop if a player gets kicked off the team? Will that be part of it?

Think about all of the players that the Saban’s have hordes just so team X would not have to face them. This ability to transfer negates that.

sharing revenue means players have contracts which will contain stipulations on what creates dismissal which likely voids contract. Lot of things will be totally different once players start getting paid. I doubt you see "student-Athlete" requirements.

The portal is a much bigger problem, yes a person should be allowed to transfer but the windows should be shorter and ina better timeframe for staffs to be able to recover. GBO

The NFL already has the model set. Schools can adopt similar models,with player options or school options depending on $$ and value. If the player wants to break his contract,wants to transfer, he'll have those options depending on the language of the contract and what has been collectively bargained. To me,and I may be wrong,this is the only way. NIL can still do their part independently of the school,the school can have transparency but also accountability to the player,and everyone has options and can decide if they wanna sign for 1 year or 4 with options clauses,etc.

VN Store

Back