NIL - Transfer Portal. Interesting article

In most aspects, I don’t have a problem with NIL. I don’t think anyone or any organization should restrict anyone’s ability to make money as long as those means are not harmful or deceiving to others. Regarding transfers, I believe each player should have a “free” transfer under 3 instances. One, if the player has earned their bachelor degree. Two, if the head coach is fired or resigns. Three, each player should have the ability to transfer, without penalty, after their true freshman season. This would help weed out the Butch Joneses of coaches from promising recruits the world just to get them signed. If a player chooses to transfer at any other time, they should have to sit for one season, but that season should not count against eligibility. Too many bureaucrats leading the NCAA. This is not rocket surgery.

Article brought up some good points on both and a solution. Wanted to see what VN thought about it.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The biggest misnomer of current college football change: NIL is killing the game.
Coaches don’t care that players make money on their name, image and likeness. It’s a headache, but it’s not a problem.

The problem for coaches and administrators is player movement, and how to prevent a player you’ve signed from high school and developed over the course of a career, from walking away at any time, for any reason. Without consequence. That’s where NIL enters the picture because of its ability to entice players to leave a team. NIL is the fuel, but the engine is free player movement — one free transfer during a career, or unlimited as a graduate transfer.

Roster management has always been the lifeblood of the sport. You recruit players, you develop, you wins games and maybe win a championship. Movement and retention were never part of the equation until now. Understand this: There’s only one way to control player movement. “Shared revenue,” an SEC athletic director told SDS. “We all know it. But how do we get there with a system that’s fair and equitable for everyone? That’s the real Project X.” Getting there likely means players becoming employees, and collectively bargaining for a share of media rights.

This is where we are headed, who wants in? It will include shared revenue. It will include internal rules enforcement. Hell, it may include their own commissioner (hello, Nick).

Here’s what it won’t include: free player movement.
Only fair way to control player movement is to run a great program where players are treated well and being developed and then pay them competitively. Build a brotherhood amongst your players and they will less likely to leave. When your coach makes $9 million it’s disingenuous and unAmerican to attempt to cap a player’s ability to get paid. The players have a short window and shouldn’t be limited in any way concerning their compensation nor mobility. Coaches can adapt or be replaced with someone who will.

Only fair way to control player movement is to run a great program where players are treated well and being developed and then pay them competitively. Build a brotherhood amongst your players and they will less likely to leave. When your coach makes $9 million it’s disingenuous and unAmerican to attempt to cap a player’s ability to get paid. The players have a short window and shouldn’t be limited in any way concerning their compensation nor mobility. Coaches can adapt or be replaced with someone who will.
This x 1,000!

I am not against NIL, but something that is being forgotten in all this. There are 1,696 pro football players each year (plus some practice squad members). There are 11,220 college FBS football players each year (not including lower levels that make the pro's). This means there are many FBS football players who will make more money during thier playing days in college than they will make when they have to get "real jobs". Young people tend to think in the now and not to the future and are being set up for problems when they run out of eligibility. There has to be some type of program to help these folks be able to handle this situation. I don't know how I would have handled leaving college and becoming a teacher if I had made more during college than I could in my profession.

Reactions: volfan102455
All these attempts to regulate NIL or transfers will fail in court.

The NCAA has no decent legal argument. They have nothing beyond "it's bad for our sports business."

The court continues to thwack them upside the head saying, "You're a college, not a sports business" and the rights of the students matter concerning making money and transferring.

Eventually, the court is going to say, "Okay, you're a sports business and these are your employees. Start revenue sharing and collective bargaining and acting like pro sports instead of a college."

The latter will suck really, really badly.

The former is just annoying.

Stop trying to regulate NIL and transfers.

I am not against NIL, but something that is being forgotten in all this. There are 1,696 pro football players each year (plus some practice squad members). There are 11,220 college FBS football players each year (not including lower levels that make the pro's). This means there are many FBS football players who will make more money during thier playing days in college than they will make when they have to get "real jobs". Young people tend to think in the now and not to the future and are being set up for problems when they run out of eligibility. There has to be some type of program to help these folks be able to handle this situation. I don't know how I would have handled leaving college and becoming a teacher if I had made more during college than I could in my profession.
There are all kinds of personal financial management courses and tutorials out there.
Chief among them are the ones that teach you how to save and invest your money, especially if the income is front loaded.

I'm not sure your comparison takes everything into account. Many of those FBS football players will never see a dime of NIL money.

I'm not sure your comparison takes everything into account. Many of those FBS football players will never see a dime of NIL money.
That is one of the problems with the NIL today, we don't know who is getting NIL. I would bet that almost all scholarship players at Tennessee get some NIL and even some walk-ons, but we as general public don't know.

That is one of the problems with the NIL today, we don't know who is getting NIL. I would bet that almost all scholarship players at Tennessee get some NIL and even some walk-ons, but we as general public don't know.
No one other than the athletes getting NIL and the collective that funds it are entitled to know who gets how much from their private business deals. It's none of our business.

It's not a problem.

Last edited:
No one other than the athletes getting NIL and the collective that finds it are entitled to know who gets how much from their private business deals. It's none of our business.

It's not a problem.
I didn't say it was a problem, but people are making blanket statements about players getting paid, becoming employees and etc. without knowing these facts. You may be going from lets say 20% of the scholarship football players getting money to delcaring they are all employees and all getting paid. We just don't know enough to really even make judgements on this.

I didn't say it was a problem, but people are making blanket statements about players getting paid, becoming employees and etc. without knowing these facts. You may be going from lets say 20% of the scholarship football players getting money to delcaring they are all employees and all getting paid. We just don't know enough to really even make judgements on this.
Actually, you said that it's "one of the problems". Again, it's not a problem.
Players getting paid by their NIL collective is no one's business outside those in the business contract. Not us, not the University, not the NCAA, not the news media, no one.

When the endorsement starts showing up as advertising, no one who watches/listens is entitled to know anything about the endorsement except the obvious - it exists.

NIL isn't pay for play. The University doesn't fund it. Again, we're not entitled to know. Our judgment/opinions don't matter in other people's private endorsement deals.

Last edited:
Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
Players getting paid is like a 3 or 4 year job - then what? A handful of them are able to continue in the NFL - 95% of the others have to proceed to something else. Yes, they may get NIL while they are in the spotlight - but then the next big player comes along, takes their spot and no one is interested in their "NIL" anymore.

Years from now, I am sure we will hear all about the hard luck stories - college player who made lots of money with NIL while in college now barely getting by and wondering where it all went.

Reactions: GBOx2

This is the reality that most of them will face.

Players getting paid is like a 3 or 4 year job - then what? A handful of them are able to continue in the NFL - 95% of the others have to proceed to something else. Yes, they may get NIL while they are in the spotlight - but then the next big player comes along, takes their spot and no one is interested in their "NIL" anymore.

Years from now, I am sure we will hear all about the hard luck stories - college player who made lots of money with NIL while in college now barely getting by and wondering where it all went.
That is why they need to pay attention in money management classes and or programs. Most all schools have programs or our in the process of having money management programs just for this type of thing. And this is another reason to pursue a degree while you getting a free education. For the person that benefits from NIL that isn’t going to be a pro player or even a long term player, you have no real good excuse to not take advantage of your college opportunities. Getting a NIL deal for a player that isn’t going to be a pro is getting you ahead before your out of college if you blow that part of it, that is squarely on that person. GBO

Reactions: S.C. OrangeMan

VN Store

Back