No More Comparisons To Vick....

The only game where I would say that Ainge never consistently got things going was Auburn....And I truly think that if CPF would have done what he had been doing the previous weeks by starting Shaffer and bringing Ainge off the bench then that would have been a different game...I always thoguht Ainge done better coming off the bench instead of starting

this is kind of off suject but did yall notice that everytime brent was in we would run a play that looked like he was rolling to the left but he would hand it off and the running back would go off to the right and pick up huge yards. when schaffer was in we should have used more misdirection plays then we did.

what about ole miss. ainge just let them back in the game with a couple of throws he made. even though he made a nice pass at the end, brent should have got more playing time.

The passes you are talking about were just freshman mistakes.....It doesn't matter that he made those mistakes, we won that game.....AINGE was the one that led us down the field, not SHAFFER......While Ainge would make 1 or 2 mistakes a game Shaffer would me 4 or 5....Ainge was and is the better man for the job

but wasnt the mistakes brent made freshamn mistakes. but show me were he made 4 or 5 game changing mistakes in a game. he never did that.

His playing style. He's a good athlete, and it may have worked in high school, but thinking run first pass second doesn't fly in big time college ball. Ainge actually developed his game and prograssed through the season. But you have to remember, these guys aren't even 20 yet. Ainge will be great. Schaeffer might be if he can start working on the way he plays.

but the ting is what do you think brent is doing right now, sitting around doing nothing? im just saying brent beat out ainge early in the year last year, don tbe surprised if he does it again this year. dont get me wrong i like ainge, but brent gets me excited when he gets in the game.

Brent won early on last year because the athlete always looks better early on until somebody progresses and learns the offense. Hopefully, Brent will progress as a passer. If he equals Ainge's proficiency, he'll win out because of his mobility.

personally i would rather have a mcnabb type qb. can run if he has to and always looks for the pass. he puts the team on his shoulders and performs with all he gots everynight.

yeah i was just saying. really dont care who starts at qb though, we gonna win alot of games next year. but heres the real question, if ainge gets hurt (god forbid) who would be our 2nd qb, brent or rick?

Don't know . . . and we won't know anything until after the Spring game. In fact, I am resolving right now not to post anything about QBs until Spring practice.

Originally posted by vols2345@Feb 10, 2005 6:32 PM
but the ting is what do you think brent is doing right now, sitting around doing nothing? im just saying brent beat out ainge early in the year last year, don tbe surprised if he does it again this year. dont get me wrong i like ainge, but brent gets me excited when he gets in the game.

Yeah, against UNLV and Louisiana Tech. So? Brent beat those teams while Ainge beat Georgia, Florida and Alabama.

I agree Brent can be a great quarterback, but he just wasn't ready for the speed of SEC football quite yet. I hope he can settle down and become more of a passer. It would be nice to be able to keep and use both of these great athletes, but IMO the job is Ainges to lose.

Originally posted by vols2345@Feb 10, 2005 9:16 PM
but wasnt the mistakes brent made freshamn mistakes. but show me were he made 4 or 5 game changing mistakes in a game. he never did that.

I never said he did it all the time....I said he did it some.....Auburn is one game where he made mistakes but so did Ainge......but I'm telling you...I don't know what is so special about Shaffer playing QB to you that you have to argue how great he is.....I like Brent but Ainge beats the pants off the kid hands down on the field

Ainge beat Alabama, Florida, and UGA not to mention South Carolina which pretty much clinched our chances for the East title if you think about it.....So you tell me Mr. Expert...Who should be starter? Since you seem to know so much :question:

I think he could be better than Vick. Shaeffer is almost or as quick as Vick is, he just isn't as smart as Vick as far as using his quickness to make people miss. I think his accuracy could be a little better than Vick's though.

Originally posted by GAVol@Feb 10, 2005 8:38 PM
I think a lot of people are just enamoured with the IDEA of having a Vick-like QB.

No, but on the opening series of the UNLV game I seriously thought I was witnessing the second coming of Condredge Holloway, but then reality set in. I still think he has the potential to be the next Condredge. The problem is he is competing with potentially the next Andy Kelly.

I think if we are all honest. We would all rather have Shaffer if he could be better than Ainge because he would be so much more fun to watch. Ainge is better and safer at this point and I doubt if Shaffer could catch up here at TN.

I think Ainge is the man for the job in 05, but that doesn't take away what Shaeffer contributed to the 04 team. If you remove Shaeffer from the first half of the South Carolina game, we might just have lost that game. When he came in and alterntated with Ainge it really messed up Carolina's head. We began to move the ball and without that spark we might not have won that game.

Good point old wrinkly one. That's the "change up" we will miss if he leaves or when he leaves. I wish there was a way we could keep'em both.

sorry man but ainge did not beat south carolina. if it wasnt for brent coming in and giving us the tie at half, then makeing that two point conversion, we would have never one that game. brent won the usc game.

oh didnt notice that. sorry. anyway ainge is gonna be the starter but the person with the more raw talent is brent.

2345, your probably right. Shaffer has the tallent but not the maturity. Ainge has the maturity but not as tallented, althogh I think he does have more arm strength than Shaffer. Maturity goes along way and both Ainge and Clausen are good examples of that.

VN Store

Back