No one has mentioned Worley's footwork

KnoxRealtorVOL

First of his name
IMO it's been impressive. Moved in the pocket well. Shuffled well.

There were a few instances against WKU I remember where he was under pressure and he kept his eyes forward and trusted his line. I remember specifically a WKU linebacker getting through and rushing him at full speed. Worley calmly side-stepped and made him miss and threw a bomb down field that was on the money. It's also worth noting that Worley does not have "happy feet" under pressure. He stays still, keeps his feet planted, and looks for the open man.

Good footwork shows he is disciplined and keeps his cool. I think he'll make a believer of us all in the next few weeks.

Reactions: 4 people
Worley was being hit on North's catch and the Johnson catch resulting in both throws being underthrown. Not completely his fault.

I recall Tee being pretty raw early on his jr yr too. In fact, Tennessee won some games (uf, auburn) early DESPITE Tee, not because of him. He settled down some and really got good his last season and a half. I dont expect Worley to be Tee but he can improve as the season goes on.

Reactions: 2 people
I've noticed that he spectacularly under throws the ball when he's under pressure in the pocket or about to take a hit. He got away with that against AP and WKU. He won't get away with that from here on out.

Reactions: 3 people

There were a few instances against WKU I remember where he was under pressure and he kept his eyes forward and trusted his line. I remember specifically a WKU linebacker getting through and rushing him at full speed. Worley calmly side-stepped and made him miss and threw a bomb down field that was on the money. It's also worth noting that Worley does not have "happy feet" under pressure. He stays still, keeps his feet planted, and looks for the open man.

Good footwork shows he is disciplined and keeps his cool. I think he'll make a believer of us all in the next few weeks.

Me and you are watching different games.

Reactions: 6 people
I've noticed that he spectacularly under throws the ball when he's under pressure in the pocket or about to take a hit. He got away with that against AP and WKU. He won't get away with that from here on out.

I agree. He needs to look underneath when pressured, throw it away if outside the pocket, or just take the sack/try to run around it. I know that's easier said than done, but chucking it down field while falling back is going to get him more interceptions like the one against WesKy. North was running free across the middle on that play.

Takes Worley forever to wind up and throw the ball deep. His arm strength and motion are going to result in turnovers against real teams.

Reactions: 5 people
Worley was being hit on North's catch and the Johnson catch resulting in both throws being underthrown. Not completely his fault.

I recall Tee being pretty raw early on his jr yr too. In fact, Tennessee won some games (uf, auburn) early DESPITE Tee, not because of him. He settled down some and really got good his last season and a half. I dont expect Worley to be Tee but he can improve as the season goes on.

Didn't Tee only play his Sr. Year?

Reactions: 1 person

I've seen him get rattled more than once and throw from his back foot as opposed to setting his feet and throwing. He won't make a believer out of anyone if he keeps throwing these passes with NO zip and his receivers have to contort themselves to reach back or fall to the ground to catch his passes.

Was a junior for the 98 NC team, then he started the next year I thought when we got waxed by Nebraska in the Orange Bowl. I'm probably wrong though. Been a long day. :)

You are correct, but it was the Fiesta Bowl (again).

Edit: The Orange Bowl crushing was in '97.

Last edited:
Most of his problem so far hasn't been his arm or footwork, it has been his timing. He has been late on many throws which has made his arm look weak or his accuracy off, but it has just been his timing.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree about his tendacy to throw off his back foot. I would consider that more along the lines of poor decision making than poor footwork.

He seems to move in the pocket well and keep his eyes downfield. I would hope and assume CBJ and staff are all over him about throwing off his back foot. That's something that can be easily corrected.

His worst pass of the year was the INT against WKU. On that play he had a wide open WR running across his face for about 10-15 yard gain. I couldn't believe he missed him.

Reactions: 1 person
Most of his problem so far hasn't been his arm or footwork, it has been his timing. He has been late on many throws which has made his arm look weak or his accuracy off, but it has just been his timing.

It all goes together.

His worst pass of the year was the INT against WKU. On that play he had a wide open WR running across his face for about 10-15 yard gain. I couldn't believe he missed him.

I remember seeing that on the replay. Looked like it was just him getting rattled and going for it instead of staying calm and checking down. He really was wiiiide open.

Both of those were late throws, reciever was open before he threw the ball, thus being late. I think he is having trouble seeing the whole field. In high school, having a primary and secondary reciever or run was his choices.

I am not so sure about this. After the AP game, CBJ said it was more of an inexperienced group of WR's and not Worley. Ainge has said publicly that he greatly benefited his freshman year because he had experienced WR's that were where he knew they would be.

I am more concerned with him trying to force a throw under pressure. He just needs to manage the game and throw the 10-15 yarders. Then, we can try to hit a long one every now and then.

I thought Peyton had the definition of happy feet lol

Both of those were late throws, reciever was open before he threw the ball, thus being late. I think he is having trouble seeing the whole field. In high school, having a primary and secondary reciever or run was his choices.

The 37 yard pass to Jonathan Johnson was perfect. Worley put it where only JJ could get it. If he had led him or thrown it short it would have been picked. Not sure if that's the one you're referring to or not but if it is I disagree.

VN Store

Back