No one has mentioned Worley's footwork

I would have to agree that it might have to do with trying to hard not to make a mistake, he mentioned that himself when he got the starting job. Sometimes this will cause a QB to grip the football to hard cause the "wobble" or less spin on the ball. The spin reduces resistence and helps the ball go straighter and longer, wobble is basically a drag on the the tail of the football cause it to slow down or reduce the spin. Its all phyics......look it up. However, I like Worley, he just needs to relax and stop thinking so much............Go Vols!!:)

Agree about his footwork. And to throw him some more props, I think he has done a heckuva job with our no huddle. Not easy for all quarterbacks to communicate properly at the line. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we haven't huddled once this year.

Reactions: 1 person
The 37 yard pass to Jonathan Johnson was perfect. Worley put it where only JJ could get it. If he had led him or thrown it short it would have been picked. Not sure if that's the one you're referring to or not but if it is I disagree.

I believe JJ had to stop on that one as well, the ball was thrown well, just short, the DBs were closing in, just another "sign" that JW was a little late in delivering that throw. JJ had the clarity to stop and wait, catch and secure the ball.

I am not so sure about this. After the AP game, CBJ said it was more of an inexperienced group of WR's and not Worley. Ainge has said publicly that he greatly benefited his freshman year because he had experienced WR's that were where he knew they would be.

I am more concerned with him trying to force a throw under pressure. He just needs to manage the game and throw the 10-15 yarders. Then, we can try to hit a long one every now and then.

I also, believe CBJ stated it was probably attributed to JW getting use to being the starting QB. There is no doubt JW can play this position, he just going through the stages of being "The Man", he'll get it, I just hope it is this Saturday........Go Vols!!:clapping:

I remember seeing that on the replay. Looked like it was just him getting rattled and going for it instead of staying calm and checking down. He really was wiiiide open.

Film study, experience, and coaching will help with that kind of thing. We should probably be glad he made a mistake or two that resulted in a turnover against a hohummer of a WKU game. Good place for him to gain experience on what not to do.

May turn out that he isn't the answer long-term, but I didn't see anything that made me think he is hopeless in terms of his checks. For example, he doesn't appear to just lock on one or two receivers at all times, or look like he was always going to throw the ball to one person no matter what.

I remember seeing that on the replay. Looked like it was just him getting rattled and going for it instead of staying calm and checking down. He really was wiiiide open.

Yes - I saw it as well - he got pressure, was flushed from the pocket, and made a very quick, bad decision. I am sure he and the coaches played it back a few times but someone was definitely running free with no one close to them in that 10 - 15 yard area and were running parallel to Worley so it would have been a very easy pass completion if he had just checked down.

I would note that his second half play both games has been dramatically better than his first half play. He appears to be improving as he goes.

Agree about his footwork. And to throw him some more props, I think he has done a heckuva job with our no huddle. Not easy for all quarterbacks to communicate properly at the line. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think we haven't huddled once this year.

I would agree with this. He seems to be totally comfortable calling plays at the line, calling out blitzes to the oline and checking out of plays.

He hasn't been perfect by any means but it seems to me that he gets better as the game goes on. Which, no offense to these guys, I never saw with Matt Simms or Crompton before his senior year.

I think Worley's got some upside, hopefully we get to see it.

I would agree with this. He seems to be totally comfortable calling plays at the line, calling out blitzes to the oline and checking out of plays.

He hasn't been perfect by any means but it seems to me that he gets better as the game goes on. Which, no offense to these guys, I never saw with Matt Simms or Crompton before his senior year.

I think Worley's got some upside, hopefully we get to see it.

allstateguy.jpg

Indeed.

Some amazing posts in this thread, Thanks, Trent and Jaws, for your analysis.

Some of the posters doggin' Worley for throwing off his back foot, etc. are the ones that backed Bray for the past three losing seasons of him - throwing off his back foot, not seeing all of the field, not checking down, etc. Let Worley get some experience in this new offense for as long as Bray got before you start beating the drums for change to a different QB that has even less going for him at this stage per the coaching staff.

Wow, just wow. Support the players. Give them a chance to grow into a good team with some continuity.

OP - you got it right.

Reactions: 3 people
I think one of the huge things we've seen this year as opposed to the past three or four is...

The playing time for the back up. Sure Worley didn't get much playing time the past couple of years, more in 2011 than in 2012. And that's because the Vols had to play Bray nearly all four quarters last year in nearly every game. The games were too close to put in the back up most of the time so Worley didn't get a lot of playing time last year and it shows.

Fast forward to 2013. Both the offense and defense have been producing well enough for the 2s and 3s to get in the game and play some ball. Get some game time in to develop their skills against other opponents than the same guys they see in practice every week. If CBJ thought Worley needed more work, he'd still have played the 2nd half at APSU and the 4th quarter in WKY. Obviously they are under the impression he is under control enough to retain the starter position. Does he need work? Absolutely, but at the same time all quarterbacks have something they can improve on. Timing between receivers and QBs is something that has to constantly be practiced and worked on. And my guess is the coaching staff has been nailing that during practice this week.

Overall as a "rookie" starter, Worley has improvement areas that are needed, but he'll get there. And he's got mainly underclassmen as receivers that didn't see a lot of playing time last year either. It's not like Bray walking in with a dream team of receivers in Patterson, Hunter, Rogers and Rivera waiting to catch the ball and pop you fifteen, twenty yards a carry. This year, you've got first time starters that are still coming together. And doing okay for the moment. And I think you'll see some great things happening throughout the year as they mature, get into their personal groove and find the rhythm as a team.

Reactions: 2 people
Worley's footwork is great if he was taught to throw every pass off his back foot fading away from any contact that might happen..

I've noticed that he spectacularly under throws the ball when he's under pressure in the pocket or about to take a hit. He got away with that against AP and WKU. He won't get away with that from here on out.

You are free to note this issue :hi:

... but I would imagine that JW and his coach(es) already are aware of it and are working to address it.

I think one of the huge things we've seen this year as opposed to the past three or four is...

The playing time for the back up. Sure Worley didn't get much playing time the past couple of years, more in 2011 than in 2012. And that's because the Vols had to play Bray nearly all four quarters last year in nearly every game. The games were too close to put in the back up most of the time so Worley didn't get a lot of playing time last year and it shows.

Fast forward to 2013. Both the offense and defense have been producing well enough for the 2s and 3s to get in the game and play some ball. Get some game time in to develop their skills against other opponents than the same guys they see in practice every week. If CBJ thought Worley needed more work, he'd still have played the 2nd half at APSU and the 4th quarter in WKY. Obviously they are under the impression he is under control enough to retain the starter position. Does he need work? Absolutely, but at the same time all quarterbacks have something they can improve on. Timing between receivers and QBs is something that has to constantly be practiced and worked on. And my guess is the coaching staff has been nailing that during practice this week.

Overall as a "rookie" starter, Worley has improvement areas that are needed, but he'll get there. And he's got mainly underclassmen as receivers that didn't see a lot of playing time last year either. It's not like Bray walking in with a dream team of receivers in Patterson, Hunter, Rogers and Rivera waiting to catch the ball and pop you fifteen, twenty yards a carry. This year, you've got first time starters that are still coming together. And doing okay for the moment. And I think you'll see some great things happening throughout the year as they mature, get into their personal groove and find the rhythm as a team.

Quality post. :hi:

Takes Worley forever to wind up and throw the ball deep. His arm strength and motion are going to result in turnovers against real teams.

Yep...I'm afraid this is a true statement. His arm strength is similar to Rick Clausen's...who was great kid, but ultimately got replaced by a couple of gun slinging freshmen. I think this will ultimately unfold the same way.

VN Store

Back