Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

LSU hired a top, big-name, proven head coach. We haven't. There's the difference between LSU and UT--a big-time hire vs. lame hires. Hiring a coach who's won national championships vs. hiring one fourth-rate and one second-rate coach.

Reactions: olddog
LSU hired a top, big-name, proven head coach. We haven't. There's the difference between LSU and UT--a big-time hire vs. lame hires. Hiring a coach who's won national championships vs. hiring one fourth-rate and one second-rate coach.
With that philosophy Tennessee could've hired Carolyn Peck and presto, all our hopes and dreams would be alive again....smh...

I’d rather lose every game than have Kim Mulkey coaching the Lady Vols! Doesn’t care how they do in school and had multiple players who couldn’t even graduate in 4 years and one took her over 6. LSU is in the bottom of the SEC in academics and Mulkey has no class 🤢

I’d rather lose every game than have Kim Mulkey coaching the Lady Vols! Doesn’t care how they do in school and had multiple players who couldn’t even graduate in 4 years and one took her over 6. LSU is in the bottom of the SEC in academics and Mulkey has no class 🤢
🤣
…tell us how ya really feel, @River67

🤣
…tell us how ya really feel, @River67
Sorry, but it really peeves me off that she doesn’t have these girls’ best interest at heart. The whole point is for these kids to get a degree and playing basketball is how they’re paying for it. Mulkey may have won a championship, but it took 6 years and a summer session for one kid to get a degree and both players drafted were cut and Kellie had a top 10 pick who got her degree and was selected for the all rookie team. So who’s really the winner? 🤣

Sorry, but it really peeves me off that she doesn’t have these girls’ best interest at heart. The whole point is for these kids to get a degree and playing basketball is how they’re paying for it. Mulkey may have won a championship, but it took 6 years and a summer session for one kid to get a degree and both players drafted were cut and Kellie had a top 10 pick who got her degree and was selected for the all rookie team. So who’s really the winner? 🤣
Some “fans” lose sight of the primary objective. 🤙

This so many times over.

Just a reminder, Our Coach and Tennessee Team beat LSU in the SEC Tournament last year.

I'm looking at the LSU Roster and something doesn't add up. Reese led the team in shot attempts last year with 560. HVL took 623 shots and Morrow took 802. (neither are great scorers but volume shooters) Morris graduated taking 471 shots most of those will go to HVL but she is still used to 150 more shots. Does Morrow take attempts away from Angel? Can Bayou Barbie share the spotlight? It looked like FJ was content to play second fiddle to her mentor Angel but I wonder how she feels about being fourth banana. Also I will bet Mikaylah Williams imagined (or was promised) getting Morris's open spot and now HVL has taken that away. Am I wrong to imagine the Bayou Tigers become more of a cat fight? If they win again, I will tip my hat to Mulkey as a great coach.

I'm looking at the LSU Roster and something doesn't add up. Reese led the team in shot attempts last year with 560. HVL took 623 shots and Morrow took 802. (neither are great scorers but volume shooters) Morris graduated taking 471 shots most of those will go to HVL but she is still used to 150 more shots. Does Morrow take attempts away from Angel? Can Bayou Barbie share the spotlight? It looked like FJ was content to play second fiddle to her mentor Angel but I wonder how she feels about being fourth banana. Also I will bet Mikaylah Williams imagined (or was promised) getting Morris's open spot and now HVL has taken that away. Am I wrong to imagine the Bayou Tigers become more of a cat fight? If they win again, I will tip my hat to Mulkey as a great coach.

I am betting on Mulkey. She had some very deep teams at Baylor. There were a few recruits that transferred like any other school. It seems Mulkey is a 'you love her or hate her " type of coach outside of her program. That said, sure she's had. a few players speak out negatively but from my reading it was mostly due to Baylor and sexual orientation. I am not sure how any LGBQT recruit doesn't realize going to a Christian school would pose problems for them. I don't agree with Baylor's position but it is what it is, it's not going to change. .The players who stay seem to really love her.

In addition, the 3 players you mention aren't newbies. Unlike High School recruits they wouldn't be fooled by a coach promising playing time. They are mature enough and been around enough to know what they are getting into.

I'm pretty sure we've had a lot of players who took longer than 4 years to graduate.

Just a reminder, Our Coach and Tennessee Team beat LSU in the SEC Tournament last year.

A good win but, ultimately, conference tournaments don't mean much to anyone but the coaches of teams that aren't likely to get in the NCAA tourney. They're just another way for the leagues to make money and rather lame, if you think about it. You play 16 conference games to determine the best teams in the league--and then you turn around and play a tournament to do the same thing? It's the tourney after the conference tourney that is significant.

A good win but, ultimately, conference tournaments don't mean much to anyone but the coaches of teams that aren't likely to get in the NCAA tourney. They're just another way for the leagues to make money and rather lame, if you think about it. You play 16 conference games to determine the best teams in the league--and then you turn around and play a tournament to do the same thing? It's the tourney after the conference tourney that is significant.

Agree with league tournaments are a money raiser ! But there is home court to consider during the regular season and was the win/loss at the beginning or last part of the season ? 🤷‍♂️.

The league tournaments are usually neutral sites most of the time and at the end of the season…., it should mean more than a regular season game ? Just My Opinion!

I am betting on Mulkey. She had some very deep teams at Baylor. There were a few recruits that transferred like any other school. It seems Mulkey is a 'you love her or hate her " type of coach outside of her program. That said, sure she's had. a few players speak out negatively but from my reading it was mostly due to Baylor and sexual orientation. I am not sure how any LGBQT recruit doesn't realize going to a Christian school would pose problems for them. I don't agree with Baylor's position but it is what it is, it's not going to change. .The players who stay seem to really love her.

In addition, the 3 players you mention aren't newbies. Unlike High School recruits they wouldn't be fooled by a coach promising playing time. They are mature enough and been around enough to know what they are getting into.
I'm not referring to anyone transferring but that there is one ball and two players that took almost 1500 shots between them. The entire LSU team took 1900 last year. Morrow is a black hole with the ball. Pass it to her and then get ready to play defense because she's not giving it back. HVL is not shy. She shot 29% on almost 200 shots from 3. Angel and FJ have their thing worked out but can they play with the transfers is my question.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
I'm pretty sure we've had a lot of players who took longer than 4 years to graduate.
Not that I can recall, and we’ve had several graduate with their undergrad and masters in 4 years. Kasi, Kam and Jamie completed their 4 years of eligibility with a masters and Tess completed her undergrad in 3 years. In case you’ve forgotten, Tennessee has a 100% graduation rate for players that complete their eligibility there

I'm not referring to anyone transferring but that there is one ball and two players that took almost 1500 shots between them. The entire LSU team took 1900 last year. Morrow is a black hole with the ball. Pass it to her and then get ready to play defense because she's not giving it back. HVL is not shy. She shot 29% on almost 200 shots from 3. Angel and FJ have their thing worked out but can they play with the transfers is my question.

I understood you. I wasn't clear enough in my original post. I'm saying under Mulkey these young women will most likely be willing to take less shots, play differently etc. and it won't be am issue. Mulkey has had great success with transfers and her own players. These aren't 17-18 yo players she's bringing in.These young woman aren't naive kids here they have the ability to change their game just ike many drafted players might have to going into the W. I believe she will find a way to make it work. Of course I could be wrong.

I understood you. I wasn't clear enough in my original post. I'm saying under Mulkey these young women will most likely be willing to take less shots, play differently etc. and it won't be am issue. Mulkey has had great success with transfers and her own players. These aren't 17-18 yo players she's bringing in.These young woman aren't naive kids here they have the ability to change their game just ike many drafted players might have to going into the W. I believe she will find a way to make it work. Of course I could be wrong.

I could see what you are saying but it will probably take some time for those same volume shooters to adjust to giving the ball up in certain situations. Now, Kim has constructed a very easy (for lack of a better thought) schedule that will allow them time to work on what needs to be done. What the schedule probably won't do is put them i pressure situations to get the ball to the right player at different times.

I think LSU's record will be good. Yes, because of the talent she amassed but also because of the schedule she put together i'd be dry favorable for them to have a good record. I also think they will be challenged in the SEC more this year.

As far as players and not liking Kim or transferring out I think that has many levels to it. She shows us who she is constantly and people keep playing for her so she must be doing something right. That's doesn't mean she isn't wrong in some cases also which has proven as well.

LSU is often misperceived on this board in various threads as having tremendous NIL money. This is not true. While LSU Athletic Department does well just like UT's due to great fan support across several sports, Louisiana is very poor compared to most other states and they are especially behind almost every other state in successful local businesses. LSU women were so fortunate to get that reputation of having great NIL money due to the transfer Reese who already had significant NIL worth due to her social media presence and the freshman (last year) Flo'Jo who already had a huge following from being a rapper and a successful Americs's Got Talent contestant. It is true that the players furthered themselves once at LSU due to the team's publicity, outsized personalities, and championship which help build their social media followings even further. The fact that the LSU gymnast Dunn got record amounts of NIL money further fed the illusion that LSU was dripping in NIL money, but her money was entirely built from social media and , well, just take a look at her. To her credit, Dunn came out this year and said how the LSU NIL funds were going mostly to the male athletes, so she established a seperate fund for the females. Even on the male side, LSU for the first time is losing in recruiting the biggest football stars in Louisiana to Texas and Texas A&M due to the relatively better NIL deals they can get there. As the most recent one said, I had to make the choice for "the financial security of my family" and not his heart of where he really wanted to play. Sorry for being long-winded, but this area happens to be in my wheelhouse.
I'm confused. Isn't the Flo Jo on AGT the daughter of Florence Griffith Joyner? Not the same as Flau'jae Johnson the LSU freshman.

VN Store

Back