Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

Maryland was in the Elite 8 in the 2023 Tournament. But don't let facts get in the way of belittling Brenda Frese.
No kidding, her record already is going to get her into the WBB HOF. Only a small number of coaches can match her resume. .834 lifetime conference winning percentage……

No kidding, her record already is going to get her into the WBB HOF. Only a small number of coaches can match her resume. .834 lifetime conference winning percentage……
Also, coaches who get the best players are not always truly the best coaches. The best coaches do more with less.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
Speaking of Banghart, Deja Kelly made it official today that she's not returning to North Carolina.

I'm not surprised. Banghart in some of losing post press conferences would throw Kelly and other players under the bus and Kelly snapped back at her in one of those pressers. I will say that some UNC fans are glad she's gone and others are wondering what's going on with the program as a whole. I might upload that presser with that exchange if I can find it.

Frese is a polarizing figure. She won a NC but she's doesn't get the accolades and credit for it.

Brenda is an excellent coach no doubt. I just haven’t understood her rosters the last couple seasons. Her best teams have always been built around rebounding. They have really gone away from that for some reason.

Reactions: LV renaissance
Also, coaches who get the best players are not always truly the best coaches. The best coaches do more with less.
I don’t get your point, are you saying PS was not the best ever in spite of getting some of the best players of her time as witnessed by their accomplishments or are you saying that getting the great players is not part of a coaches greatness?

Let’s put it this way. She will never be in the rarefied air with TN, CT, and Stanford.
So because she is not top three all time you don’t think she is all that, did I get it right? So only a coach in the rarified air of a UT or UConn can be considered great? Is that what you are trying to say?

Someone said on another thread here (brilliantly btw) “when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you do is drop the shovel”.

The best coaches tend to recruit excellent players, consistently.

And since we're talking about transfers, the best fans find it illustrative to insert opinions about football, tennis, golf, pinochle and frisbee into their commentary about wcbb. Or maybe they don't.

Last edited:
So because she is not top three all time you don’t think she is all that, did I get it right? So only a coach in the rarified air of a UT or UConn can be considered great? Is that what you are trying to say?

Someone said on another thread here (brilliantly btw) “when you find yourself in a hole, the first thing you do is drop the shovel”.
😂

The best coaches tend to recruit excellent players, consistently.

And since we're talking about transfers, the best fans find it illustrative to insert opinions about football, tennis, golf, pinochle and frisbee into their commentary about wcbb. Or maybe they don't.
How many teams in the last 20 years have won a Championship without an All American?

Let’s put it this way. She will never be in the rarefied air with TN, CT, and Stanford.
Dumb, she has won a Natty, been to many FF’s and several elite eights and her winning % is top 5 all time, but yeah, you say she ain’t all that. Try again, and drop the shovel ok? You doing the fool thing and showing your azz. Keep digging your hole, comical to watch.
Statistics overview

SeasonTeamOverallConferenceStandingPostseason
Ball State Cardinals (Mid-American Conference) (1999–2001)
1999–2000Ball State16–138–8T–6th
2000–01Ball State19–911–53rd
Ball State:35–22 (.614)19–13 (.594)
Minnesota Golden Gophers (Big Ten Conference)(2001–2002)
2001–02Minnesota22–811–53rdNCAA Second Round
Minnesota:22–8 (.733)11–5 (.688)
Maryland Terrapins (Atlantic Coast Conference) (2002–2014)
2002–03Maryland10–184–139th
2003–04Maryland18–139–93rdNCAA Second Round
2004–05Maryland22–109–85thNCAA Second Round
2005–06Maryland34–414–3T–2ndNCAA Champions
2006–07Maryland28–611–53rdNCAA Second Round
2007–08Maryland33–414–22ndNCAA Elite Eight
2008–09Maryland31–515–21stNCAA Elite Eight
2009–10Maryland21–136–109thWNIT Third Round
2010–11Maryland24–89–54thNCAA Second Round
2011–12Maryland31–512–43rdNCAA Elite Eight
2012–13Maryland26–814–43rdNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2013–14Maryland28–712–43rdNCAA Final Four
Maryland (ACC):306–101 (.752)129–69 (.652)
Maryland Terrapins (Big Ten Conference) (2014–present)
2014–15Maryland34–318–01stNCAA Final Four
2015–16Maryland31–416–21stNCAA Second Round
2016–17Maryland32–315–1T–1stNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2017–18Maryland26–812–42ndNCAA Second Round
2018–19Maryland29–515–31stNCAA Second Round
2019–20Maryland28–416–21stPostseason not held
2020–21Maryland26–317–11stNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2021–22Maryland23–913–4T–2ndNCAA Sweet Sixteen
2022–23Maryland28–715–3T–2ndNCAA Elite Eight
2023–24Maryland19–149–9T–6thNCAA First Round
Maryland (Big Ten):274–58 (.825)146–29 (.834)
Maryland (Overall):582–161 (.783)
Total:639–191 (.770)
National champion Postseason invitational champion
Conference regular season champion Conference regular season and conference tournament champion
Division regular season champion Division regular season and conference tournament champion
Conference tournament champion

Last edited:
You might be the least enlightened poster of WBB on this site, bravo to you. Spare us the reply please, we get it, she is not Pat or Geno, so in your world she isn’t shat. Again, dumb, ignorant, clueless, maybe you can give everyone another crying smiley face in response because you cannot back up your dumbness with anything else.
…scroll, bruh, just scroll. iykyk

You might be the least enlightened poster of WBB on this site, bravo to you. Spare us the reply please, we get it, she is not Pat or Geno, so in your world she isn’t shat. Again, dumb, ignorant, clueless, maybe you can give everyone another crying smiley face in response because you cannot back up your dumbness with anything else.
😫😂 It’s sports. That’s it. Although I could and wish I had written a dissertation on the definition of a great coach, alas, I don’t have time because I’m writing my dissertation on a different topic. You start from a flawed premise and lack of operational definitions, so I can only continue to interact with you as a bada$$ fan.

Reactions: Volfaninfl2
I don’t get your point, are you saying PS was not the best ever in spite of getting some of the best players of her time as witnessed by their accomplishments or are you saying that getting the great players is not part of a coaches greatness?
The last part leads typically to the first part over time.
It can. Depends on the specific performance of the coach.

And then Brenda's been losing many of them the next off season. Making big portal hauls necessary every year. Doesn't sound like a really healthy cycle.

Hmm, a roster full of mostly guards and small forwards, that sounds familiar.
Yeah. I mean with the talent she’s had and the hype she’s had….not the best coach.

We live in a society in which quite often, the loudest fart is deemed worthy of inclusion in a hall of fame. Everybody gets a gold star!!!!

We live in a society in which quite often, the loudest fart is deemed worthy of inclusion in a hall of fame. Everybody gets a gold star!!!!
Pat, Geno, Tara and Sylvanus Thayer would tell the flatulent to work harder and better if they wanted a star. Casual gas emitters don't even merit tin.

She’s not Geno. Pat or Tara and doubt seriously doubt she will ever be in that conversation.

Nor Is she in the conversation With Kim of Dawn. Could she reach their level in her life. Theoretically, yes but the past ten years don’t indicate a trend in that direction. One would ecpect the gulf to grow.

Will she retire with a reputation as good as
Muffet? maybe but she needs another championship appearance and a BUNCH of final four appearances. I kanda doubt it.

She’s a one championship coach with a smallish handful of final four appearances . Is that enough for HoF?

I dunnoh. Maybe

VN Store

Back