Non-Lady Vol Basketball News 2023-24

The story now is that the girl was a minor who was drunk, and Watkins tried to prevent her from going out to party. The kidnapping was based on Watkins trying to keep her from leaving. The assault was from grabbing the minor. I guess we will see moving forward what it was about.
Where did you hear that story?

The spin that is occurring is about maintaining systems of power. The team brings in millions to the city of Columbia and the state of South Carolina as a whole. When you have a state Rep working as a spin artist on a story of female assault, any woman or anyone who genuinely cares about women (and not just how much money they bring in) should be alarmed.

As the saying goes, follow the money.

And it is not lost on me that all talk has centered the accused and not the victim.

Attachments

• IMG_0953.jpeg
    IMG_0953.jpeg
    109.1 KB · Views: 22
Reactions: glv98
The spin that is occurring is about maintaining systems of power. The team brings in millions to the city of Columbia and the state of South Carolina as a whole. When you have a state Rep working as a spin artist on a story of female assault, any woman or anyone who genuinely cares about women (and not just how much money they bring in) should be alarmed.

As the saying goes, follow the money.

And it is not lost on me that all talk has centered the accused and not the victim.

Didn’t he donate a bunch of money to the program? Seems like a conflict of interest. Maybe a different politician?

Reactions: NoBackBoard
The story now is that the girl was a minor who was drunk, and Watkins tried to prevent her from going out to party. The kidnapping was based on Watkins trying to keep her from leaving. The assault was from grabbing the minor. I guess we will see moving forward what it was about.
Where did you hear that story?
This is classic hopeful spin. It's all in the police report EXCEPT the bit about Watkins trying to prevent the minor "from going out to party". That's the beginning of the excuse structure. It may or may not be true and Watkins was definitely trying to prevent the drunk minor from leavng. But implying it was "for her own good" to prevent further harm to the minor is a hopeful guess. The charges also get the soft pedal in this telling; according to the police report the assault included grabbing the minor by the head and the kidnapping including picking the victim up and carrying her against her will to a place she didn't want to go.

I hope both Watkins and the victim get the help they obviously need. I always thought Watkins was a ticking time bomb out of character with what Dawn demands, it was easy to see with her on court behavior.

Last edited:
Reactions: LadyVol1908
Sad part is people ragging on Watkins on this board will be the same ones praying CKC goes after her if Dawn removes her from the team. I do not think she should , but the masses speak and so does boosters.
Taylor made for Coach Yo or Mulkey.
Didn’t he donate a bunch of money to the program? Seems like a conflict of interest. Maybe a different politician?
You may be thinking of former Congressman Bakari Sellers. He's a huge fan and his law firm is a big NIL donor to SC. He recently led the fundraising drive to get 250K which was matched by another corporate donor. Just a quick half million on the side for NIL.

Now I return with the report and it does not look good for Watkins.... do not accuse me of defending her like the other liar did. I said the truth may be worse than the story going around.
A USC police officer responded to 650 Lincoln Street just before 3 a.m. for a fire alarm and saw a group of individuals running towards the parking garage. The officer also heard “someone screaming for help,” according to the report. The officer saw a person leaning over the ledge on the third level of the garage yelling for help, and another person holding her back. The victim was “visibly upset,” according to the report. She told police she had gotten into an argument with Watkins, 20, and was “attempting to get away from her.” The victim said she had driven to 650 Lincoln to see her “best friend” and pointed to Watkins. Later the victim was on the second floor helping a sick friend, she told police. Watkins returned and confronted her because she believed the victim was “cheating on her,” the victim told police. While the victim initially told police several times that Watkins hit her, she later said that Watkins did not hit her, according to the report. Watkins told police she went looking for the victim — whom she described to police as her “girlfriend” — on the second floor to take her to her car on the fourth floor. According to the police report, Watkins admitted to “grabbing her” and walking outside. The two then returned to Watkins’ room to let out her dog. While letting out her dog, Watkins said the victim began to run through the parking garage and lifted herself up onto the ledge. Watkins told police she “wrapped both arms around” the victim because she believed she was going to jump off. EMS and police spoke to all parties and determined the victim was not suicidal, according to the police report. Police tried to call the parents of the victim, who was described in the report as “a juvenile,” but were unsuccessful. A Lexington County Sheriff’s deputy was sent to their residence and reached her mother. Watkins was charged with first degree assault and kidnapping after the incident, according to arrest warrants released Saturday. Warrants said Watkins assaulted the victim by “forcefully grabbing her face, pulling her by her arms, and pushing her.” She also allegedly picked the victim up against her will and carried her away, grabbed her head and forced her to walk down the hall and prevented her from leaving. The warrant also said the victim eventually got away from Watkins and pulled the fire alarm. Police and fire personnel responded and treated the victim for her injuries, which were not life-threatening.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...asketball/article291873280.html#storylink=cpy

Now I return with the report and it does not look good for Watkins.... do not accuse me of defending her like the other liar did. I said the truth may be worse than the story going around.
A USC police officer responded to 650 Lincoln Street just before 3 a.m. for a fire alarm and saw a group of individuals running towards the parking garage. The officer also heard “someone screaming for help,” according to the report. The officer saw a person leaning over the ledge on the third level of the garage yelling for help, and another person holding her back. The victim was “visibly upset,” according to the report. She told police she had gotten into an argument with Watkins, 20, and was “attempting to get away from her.” The victim said she had driven to 650 Lincoln to see her “best friend” and pointed to Watkins. Later the victim was on the second floor helping a sick friend, she told police. Watkins returned and confronted her because she believed the victim was “cheating on her,” the victim told police. While the victim initially told police several times that Watkins hit her, she later said that Watkins did not hit her, according to the report. Watkins told police she went looking for the victim — whom she described to police as her “girlfriend” — on the second floor to take her to her car on the fourth floor. According to the police report, Watkins admitted to “grabbing her” and walking outside. The two then returned to Watkins’ room to let out her dog. While letting out her dog, Watkins said the victim began to run through the parking garage and lifted herself up onto the ledge. Watkins told police she “wrapped both arms around” the victim because she believed she was going to jump off. EMS and police spoke to all parties and determined the victim was not suicidal, according to the police report. Police tried to call the parents of the victim, who was described in the report as “a juvenile,” but were unsuccessful. A Lexington County Sheriff’s deputy was sent to their residence and reached her mother. Watkins was charged with first degree assault and kidnapping after the incident, according to arrest warrants released Saturday. Warrants said Watkins assaulted the victim by “forcefully grabbing her face, pulling her by her arms, and pushing her.” She also allegedly picked the victim up against her will and carried her away, grabbed her head and forced her to walk down the hall and prevented her from leaving. The warrant also said the victim eventually got away from Watkins and pulled the fire alarm. Police and fire personnel responded and treated the victim for her injuries, which were not life-threatening.

Read more at: https://www.thestate.com/sports/col...asketball/article291873280.html#storylink=cpy
This really sucks for everyone involved, and I'm just so sorry for them all. I continue to hope everyone gets the help they need. IPV can become cyclical if not.

Yikes. Having a drunk minor girlfriend in your apartment at 3 a.m. just by itself is enough for serious intervention to be needed. Dawn has a really good record of behavior by her players but this one clearly got away from her.

Yikes. Having a drunk minor girlfriend in your apartment at 3 a.m. just by itself is enough for serious intervention to be needed. Dawn has a really good record of behavior by her players but this one clearly got away from her.

20 years old and “dating” a minor. If this was a man on, on the men’s team, this would be front page news of every major media outlet.

There's only so much a head coach can control. Sometimes young people -- hell, and fully grown adults, too -- do incredibly dumb things, dangerous things, and sometimes even spontaneously violent things, over "love gone wrong."

The fact that it's an ancient scenario being re-lived every day in every country and every culture is no excuse for terrible behavior, but I guess I'm saying that even as lucky as Dawn Staley has been that her chickens have been relatively trouble free, even SHE cannot change whatever link in the human genetic code that allows them to occasionally do THE stupidest things.

I guess the fact that both parties are so young is a mixed blessing. It's bad that they are so young and now are having this incident in their personal lives aired in public. But then it's better they both learn important lessons about themselves and others now, while they ARE young, so that they can live their future lives a lot more wisely.

It's a mess, no doubt.

As an aside, I honestly wish our society would get over its silly ban on marijuana so these kids partying at college -- as they naturally WILL always do -- can drink less alcohol and smoke more weed. It's overuse of alcohol that often brings out dumb behavior and/or jealousy-fueled violence. A weed high typucally just makes folks way more chill, and far less prone to spontaneous violence. JMO.

Now you’re centering me instead of the victim. A hit dog will holler and history will NEVER remember your kind kindly!

#ProtectWomen #BelieveWomen

Reactions: VolBall09
FORMER is the correct word.

If Dawn was taking this serious Watkins would already be a former player.

I have no doubt “the system” is working tirelessly to get the young lady to recant her statement. It’s similar to annual DV cases we see in the NFL. What is sad is several people on this board are viewing this as a partisan issue. It is not. DV is never ok but folks are more concerned about protecting the future of Watkins and the reputation of Dawn.

I have no doubt “the system” is working tirelessly to get the young lady to recant her statement. It’s similar to annual DV cases we see in the NFL. What is sad is several people on this board are viewing this as a partisan issue. It is not. DV is never ok but folks are more concerned about protecting the future of Watkins and the reputation of Dawn.

$50 says Watkins is in a Gamecocks jersey this fall.

First team they play should walk off the court after tip if she is.

#METOO

Or is that only when men do it?

Reactions: NoBackBoard
$50 says Watkins is in a Gamecocks jersey this fall.

First team they play should walk off the court after tip if she is.

#METOO

Or is that only when men do it?
Could be but I'd be very, very surprised and very disappointed in Dawn if that happened. I thought she ran a much tighter ship than that, Also, a month and a half is not close to enough time to get Watkins the help she needs. She's no where near emotionally well enough nor legally free enough to play basketball.

VN Store

Back