'25 NV OL Douglas Utu (Oregon commit)

I applaud Dayne Davis for being a VFL but i don’t ever want to see him play tackle ever again.

There is no way you’ll convince me any of the freshman who’ve been here since January or even someone like Brian Grant would do worse.
Yeah, Davis is what he is. It's just a shame that we are in a position to have to insert him into high-leverage moments/ganes. Again, that isn't his fault and he came in and did what he did, but we shouldn't be in a place in year 4 where we have to trot him out there as option #2 at OT. That's embarrassing and an indictment of our ability to either A.) Identify OL talent, or B.) Develop OL talent.

The first sack/fumble was a result of Davis simply not picking up the blitz. He blocked no one. That was a mental mistake.

But I agree with you…we need a better 3rd OT option than Davis. Johnson looked better Saturday and I would like to see Sham moved back to OT when healthy. Or maybe you try to accelerate the progress of Perry/Warren.
I thought Larry Johnson III held his own as well. He may be the answer but he has solely rep the left side so doesn't help if Campbell goes down again.

Would like to see Perry or Warren get some opportunities during this bye week for the right side like you mentioned.

The way things sounded Friday, made it sound like it was happening that day or at worst by the end of the weekend, the fact he’s still committed to us today should be a positive sign
I agree. When those things (flip predictions) happen suddenly, they usually are a reflection of something that is already in motion and very quickly made public. I wonder if we have made a move to calm him down and step away from the ledge.

@KingVFL mentioned this was a relationship issue, but I'd live to hear his opinion on where things currently stand. We could definitely use this kid.

I really hate it when kids flip. If I had a big time player as my kid I wouldn’t allow it. You committed to something and you stick to it. And don’t commit if you aren’t 110% certain
It's not as easy as what you made it, or likely what he made it. Kids are making a major decision as a 17-18 year old. Many have zero guidance, or the flip side is too many people giving "guidance " for various reasons. I'd prefer him to get it right the first time. It will cause him and us less heartache down the road.

Reactions: LaagerVol
I thought Larry Johnson III held his own as well. He may be the answer but he has solely rep the left side so doesn't help if Campbell goes down again.

Would like to see Perry or Warren get some opportunities during this bye week for the right side like you mentioned.
I don’t know if Johnson has played any RT this year, but he did last year. I’m sure he can swing over. RT is the least demanding of the two. A LT can typically play RT, but a RT can’t always play LT.

Yeah, Davis is what he is. It's just a shame that we are in a position to have to insert him into high-leverage moments/ganes. Again, that isn't his fault and he came in and did what he did, but we shouldn't be in a place in year 4 where we have to trot him out there as option #2 at OT. That's embarrassing and an indictment of our ability to either A.) Identify OL talent, or B.) Develop OL talent.
Or C.) it took a minute to get traction in that area. First 2 classes were definitely not up to par, especially the first one. The second class has some guys I still think could contribute. Last class and this one start off what I think will be continual classes of impact guys. It took a while, but we are getting rolling there.

The first sack/fumble was a result of Davis simply not picking up the blitz. He blocked no one. That was a mental mistake.

But I agree with you…we need a better 3rd OT option than Davis. Johnson looked better Saturday and I would like to see Sham moved back to OT when healthy. Or maybe you try to accelerate the progress of Perry/Warren.
On Rocky Top Rewind, Hubbs basically said they needed to use the off week to get Perry and Warren ready to go.

I agree. When those things (flip predictions) happen suddenly, they usually are a reflection of something that is already in motion and very quickly made public. I wonder if we have made a move to calm him down and step away from the ledge.

@KingVFL mentioned this was a relationship issue, but I'd live to hear his opinion on where things currently stand. We could definitely use this kid.
Matter of when last I heard

VN Store

Back