'25 NV OL Douglas Utu (Oregon commit)

This might not be a popular opinion on a recruiting forum, but an OL coaches ability to recruit has never been less valuable.

Give me a coach that can develop talent and retain talent on the roster. In the NIL era money is going to be the reason most players end up at their destination. It's keeping that talent on campus until they can produce at a high developmental position.

This might not be a popular opinion on a recruiting forum, but an OL coaches ability to recruit has never been less valuable.

Give me a coach that can develop talent and retain talent on the roster. In the NIL era money is going to be the reason most players end up at their destination. It's keeping that talent on campus until they can produce at a high developmental position.
Additionally, it is said to be the most difficult position to project success from the high school ranks to college.

And Garner isn’t the on the road closer he was in his heyday…that been augmented with Coach Chop. Get them on campus and after they see what the unit coach can do for their careers development and scheme wise? The the PROGRAM closes the deal. Big Ugly Recruiting 101. Beasts herd towards where the grazing’s good…slowly and when they’re damn ready.

Additionally, it is said to be the most difficult position to project success from the high school ranks to college.
As evidence, the 3-star OL that fans were upset about us taking is currently further along than the high 4-star/5-star OL that fans were stoked about. Now that doesn't mean that Warren won't be great. But the adjustment from HS to college OL is huge. And evaluating that transition is very difficult. And the recruiting websites have proven that they are not very good at it. It's just very difficult with lots of physical and mental development that is hard to project.

Last edited:
I think it’s fair to say something is wrong with his player evaluations and/or recruiting ability but he’s too good of a coach to let go.

We are going to live off NIL and transfer portal on the OL. Not ideal but in today’s world it’s fine.
You mean like the top tackle in the class? You guys are straight clowns. Glad none of you are in charge

EXACTLY.

Some of our fans are extremely slow to understand how little a coach’s recruiting ability is worth relative to his coaching ability in the NIL era.

i think its time to move on from elerbee
So in 2 out of 4 years here his OL has been up for the Joe Moore award. He has to get better at developing HS talent, but leading the SEC in rushing each year and being identified as one of the best lines in the country each year also counts for something. We haven’t had that since the Fulmer years

We should scour country for OL starters on non power four teams or second teamers on power four teams that want to start and earn some NIL money. 💰 Nico really will need that next year.
We should at least find a good, proven guard. I'm thinking:

LT - Heard
LG - Umarov
C - Lang
RG - Portal
RT - Johnson III

Some of our underclassmen may take big steps forward between now and the 2025 season, but I wouldn't depend on a 2nd year player on the OL unless we have to.

We should at least find a good, proven guard. I'm thinking:

LT - Heard
LG - Umarov
C - Lang
RG - Portal
RT - Johnson III

Some of our underclassmen may take big steps forward between now and the 2025 season, but I wouldn't depend on a 2nd year player on the OL unless we have to.
Seems like Satterwhite has secured the center spot and I’d anticipate Perry or Bennett take the RT spot. They are SUPER high on Perry

Seems like Satterwhite has secured the center spot and I’d anticipate Perry or Bennett take the RT spot. They are SUPER high on Perry
Great to hear! Isn’t Satterwhite a true freshman? Very impressive if he’s already passed Lang.

I like Warren’s upside I just hate putting expectations on young OL. Admittedly, I know very little about Perry. It would be nice to see a solid OL next year that returns in tact for 2026. Might be enough to convince Nico to stick around!

VN Store

Back