'25 NV OL Douglas Utu (Oregon commit)

Think maybe y’all are just looking for something to be mad about.
I think that was you ....

You were the one here saying that Tennessee would have to live with recruiting offensive lineman from the portal, which was a bizarre thing to say while we currently have a commitment from the #1 OT in the country in the Class of 2025. Sanders is the most highly touted OT prospect that Tennessee will have ever signed (assuming that he does).

Reactions: LaagerVol
I think that was you ....

You were the one here saying that Tennessee would have to live with recruiting offensive lineman from the portal, which was a bizarre thing to say while we currently have a commitment from the #1 OT in the country in the Class of 2025. Sanders is the most highly touted OT prospect that Tennessee will have ever signed (assuming that he does).
I said we’d have to depend on NIL and the portal. Because so far none of Elarbee’s HS recruits have done anything. In year 4.

I also said it’s not a big deal. We just need to land a blue chip OL with the NIL every couple years and fill in the holes with the portal.

Never once did I say Elarbee sucks. No idea why you’re so mad.

Last edited:
I said we’d have to depend on NIL and the portal. Because so far none of Elarbee’s HS recruits have done anything. In year 4.

I also said it’s not a big deal. We just need to land a blue chip OL with the NIL every couple years and fill in the holes with the portal.

Never once did I say Elarbee sucks. No idea why you’re so mad.
I'm not mad .... but it is strange that you were questioning Elarbee's recruiting ability concerning high school prospects, without mentioning Sanders.

Reactions: butchna and SoilVol
Tennessee has been one of the 12 semi finalists for the Joe Moore Award, awarded to the best OLine in the nation, each of the last 2 years.

He’s a fantastic coach. Anyone who doesn’t realize that simply doesn’t know football. Fortunately, the man in charge of deciding who our OLine coach is knows a lot about football.
He's been fantastic with guys he's inherited from the previous staff and transfers. Still waiting to see it with guys he's recruited from high school. I'm not anti-Elarbee, but you know it to be true that none of his high school guys he's recruited since getting here have contributed significantly on the field. Not saying it won't happen, but it hasn't happened yet. So until we see him developing those guys, I'm gonna hold off on calling him a "fantastic" coach.

Reactions: bpalmer28
why isn’t Lang, Sham, Satterwhite or Max Anderson playing? Because they’re behind guys that were already here that GE developed. Nichols couldn’t beat cooper and he wanted to play so he left. GE recruited Campbell, Karic, Johnson and they’ve all taken steps forward. Do they count less than high school kids? He recruited Heard here too. I guess the transfer portal doesn’t count?
Heard
Karic
Cooper
Sprag
Campbell

GE recruited these guys from the portal and developed them. Sprag and Coopwr were already here and they were fine, but now they’re forces on the o line. I don’t know what your beef is with him but you should probably realize he’s a good coach and recruiter
Nichols didn't just compete at Center. He couldn't win a spot anywhere on our OL.

I'm not mad .... but it is strange that you were questioning Elarbee's recruiting ability concerning high school prospects, without mentioning Sanders.
I’m glad we have Sanders, but

1. I don’t know how much of his decision was influenced by Elarbee or how much was influenced by Heupel and NIL.

2. It doesn’t change that fact that we are in year 4 and none of Elarbee’s recruits have done anything. Which in my opinion is more of a player evaluation concern than a recruiting concern.

3. None of this matters because we have the best NIL collective on the planet and access to the transfer portal, which we’ve had tremendous success with.

I don’t care that Elarbee’s HS recruits have all been useless so far. He’s found a way to produce a solid OL regardless. That’s all that matters.

I’m glad we have Sanders, but

1. I don’t know how much of his decision was influenced by Elarbee or how much was influenced by Heupel and NIL.

2. It doesn’t change that fact that we are in year 4 and none of Elarbee’s recruits have done anything. Which in my opinion is more of a player evaluation concern than a recruiting concern.

3. None of this matters because we have the best NIL collective on the planet and access to the transfer portal, which we’ve had tremendous success with.

I don’t care that Elarbee’s HS recruits have all been useless so far. He’s found a way to produce a solid OL regardless. That’s all that matters.
1. Elarbee is listed as the primary recruiter of Sanders on 247. Of course, with such a highly touted prospect, it will be done by the work of the entire staff. As Sanders' position coach, however, he deserves at least some credit here.

2. You keep harping on year 4 .... but Heupel's staff has really only had 3 recruiting classes, because Heupel was not hired until January 26, 2021 ... and there had been an early signing period. I expect to see players such as William Satterwhite contribute next year. Right now, they have more experienced, better veteran players ahead of them. That's not a bad thing. Right now, the biggest problem for Tennessee's offensive line appears to be getting healthy.

3. High School recruiting and the development of those recruits will always matter.

Nichols didn't just compete at Center. He couldn't win a spot anywhere on our OL.
Behind Spraggins and behind Karic. Who he developed and who he recruited. Is it his fault that he couldn’t make Nichols stick around as a backup role? Has GE been the best O line coach and recruiter ever? No. Has he been our best in 10 years? Easily

View attachment 681244This is what a great Insider on the board posted on Glen, good solid OL coach but doesn’t relate great with kids.
Doesn’t relate IN RECRUITING, but they love him once they get here. If we can get them here, like we have been the last couple cycles, idc if it’s because of his recruiting prowess or not. More important for them to like him after they get here and be developed by him. Much rather have that than a used car salesman that talks a good game but can’t coach and develop

Doesn’t relate IN RECRUITING, but they love him once they get here. If we can get them here, like we have been the last couple cycles, idc if it’s because of his recruiting prowess or not. More important for them to like him after they get here and be developed by him. Much rather have that than a used car salesman that talks a good game but can’t coach and develop
Correct. And Tennessee has adjusted their recruiting strategy to accommodate this. He’s the guy they meet on campus now, but not as much on the road. He’s better in that setting. We see the results in the 24 and 25 OLine classes.

He's been fantastic with guys he's inherited from the previous staff and transfers. Still waiting to see it with guys he's recruited from high school. I'm not anti-Elarbee, but you know it to be true that none of his high school guys he's recruited since getting here have contributed significantly on the field. Not saying it won't happen, but it hasn't happened yet. So until we see him developing those guys, I'm gonna hold off on calling him a "fantastic" coach.
Because the guys he recruited 2 years ago weren’t very good, because that’s where we were as a program. We didn’t start recruiting OL well until last cycle. First good OL class we hard was LAST YEAR. Can we see what those guys do when they aren’t freshmen anymore before we declare that he can’t develop?

Because the guys he recruited 2 years ago weren’t very good, because that’s where we were as a program. We didn’t start recruiting OL well until last cycle. First good OL class we hard was LAST YEAR. Can we see what those guys do when they aren’t freshmen anymore before we declare that he can’t develop?
After the NCAA investigation was lifted as well. Before that our main contributors were literally all transfers, aside from Hyatt, James Pearce and 1 or 2 others.

Behind Spraggins and behind Karic. Who he developed and who he recruited. Is it his fault that he couldn’t make Nichols stick around as a backup role? Has GE been the best O line coach and recruiter ever? No. Has he been our best in 10 years? Easily
Not hard to be better than Will Friend. That's a low mark.

Reactions: SoilVol
Reading comprehension is good. You just stated what I've said previously. Next year will show us how good an OL coach he is. FTR, I have not said he's a bad coach. I've just said we need more evidence before declaring he's great or fantastic. We need to see him develop some of those high school recruits into serious contenders, and hopefully draft picks.

But we are seeing Nichols produce at a high level now, because Nichols turned around and is starting for a decent SEC program and playing well. He couldn't beat out GE's starters that he developed, and instead of being patient and waiting his turn, he left. So, GE did, in fact, target and sign a quality HS recruit then developed him into an SEC starter. They just aren't starting here yet because our line is one of the best and oldest. (This is not specifically directed at anything you've said)

Reactions: LaagerVol
I don’t think anyone is saying he can’t develop. Some are questioning his ability to relate with HS kids, others (me) are questioning his ability to evaluate HS kids. But don’t think anyone doubts his ability to coach… and I think only one person in this thread isn’t thankful for Elarbee so this whole conversation seems like a huge ball of misunderstanding to me. Some of us are just nitpickers. Doesn’t mean we don’t love the guy.

VN Store

Back