Off Season Moves Thread

whocaresgobobcats

Vomit Free Since 93
Since every player declined their qualifying offers, signings and movement should start soon and really get going around the Winter Meetings.

Recent moves:

Blue Jays sign Maicer Izturis and trade cash to the Royals for flame thrower Jeremy Jeffress

I am not sure how I feel about that. He was a better option than McCann way too often last year.

Let me help you. If you're a Braves fan, put your fingers in a car door and then slam it really hard. That's how you should feel about it.

Let me help you. If you're a Braves fan, put your fingers in a car door and then slam it really hard. That's how you should feel about it.

You really want to give a 2 yr deal to a 36 year old catcher?

You really want to give a 2 yr deal to a 36 year old catcher?

With the Braves' current uncertainty at the catching position, both with the current starter and the heir apparent, then yes I do. Having a dependable veteran backup locked in for two years would make me feel a lot better about that position, whether it's so-called great value or not. The Braves have enough salary flexibility right now to have done it.

With the Braves' current uncertainty at the catching position, both with the current starter and the heir apparent, then yes I do. Having a dependable veteran backup locked in for two years would make me feel a lot better about that position, whether it's so-called great value or not. The Braves have enough salary flexibility right now to have done it.
I'm in the minority on this one I guess. I think 2 yrs 6MM for a backup catcher is crazy.

I'm in the minority on this one I guess. I think 2 yrs 6MM for a backup catcher is crazy.

Pricing is all about context. Paying two bucks for a bottle of water is crazy. But if you've been walking in the heat all day and you're thirsty, you buy it without batting an eyelash. The uncertainty about McCann and Bethancourt, plus the certainty that McCann is going to miss at least six weeks, makes backup catcher a much more important position for the Braves right now than it normally would be. It's a weird thing to get cheap about when it's such an area of need and they've got so much money coming off the books.

They're going to have to pay _somebody_ to be the backup catcher for the next couple of years. Assuming they sign some kind of a veteran retread, it'll probably cost them about a million and a half a year. So the savings they're going to incur by throwing away their safety net at an important position is going to be a grand total of $1.5 million a year, or under two percent of the payroll. It's hard for me to believe that they're going to spend so extravagantly on other free agents that that small of a payroll slice would make a difference.

Doesn't matter Reds got that the Central wrapped up regardless. Again.

We'll see. The Cards were a much different team at the end of reg season. I like our chances.
There's a "Baker" with the Reds that always gives the opposition a chance.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Last edited:
Interesting here:

Source: #BlueJays on verge of acquiring Josh Johnson from #Marlins. Deal could be even larger than that.

Yunel Escobar and Hechavarria part of package going from #BlueJays to #Marlins. Monster deal.

Buerhle to the BJs as well. Wow. AA got his starting pitching. Wonder who is going to be SS now.

Looks like the SS is Jose Reyes. wowowow Great trade for BJs if true.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back