Offense: Strength or Liability?

knox73

Kind of puzzling after the open date the futility of the Tennessee offense. SEC schedule is now underway and the defense is the team strength. Nico looks more like a true freshman than a 20 year old redshirt who is basically a sophomore. Sampson is a clutch performer but the offensive tackles are extremely limited and overmatched in SEC play. I guess kicking game and defense will have to carry the team and they almost did vs Arkansas minus running into the kicker. Returning to Neyland Stadium hopefully will restore the offense to a winning or at least a competitive level. Hate to say it but Nico may be more of a game manager than a premier qb.

O line has been a huge question mark since Heupel has been here. Going forward, I understand why you take a QB every class. You really need a guy who’s been in the system a few years before starting.

Reactions: livefaith
Against inferior teams we got a false sense of hope about our offense. These SEC games are showing Heupel doesn’t trust his QB to run it wide open partly also due to bad line play. I am sick of this playing not to lose stuff. We got outcoached bad this past game.

It's a liability right now.. Playcalling could help it out but it didn't. Oline isn't good.. They have a bunch of receivers but not that one guy, probably playing too many guys trying to make them happy. QB looks like he's confused. An we literally have one running play we use.. It's a mess and it should look a lot better than what we're seeing..

I thought that the Vols didn’t use short passes and the middle of the field because Milton wasn’t accurate. Now, it just seems like lack of scheming. UGA dared UT to throw short passes 2 years ago and the Vols didn’t take advantage.

Seems to me that Nico holds the ball a half second too long. Is that because he he’s not identifying his hot reads?

Teams will continue to dare Nico to hit short passes until he shows that he can consistently.

I thought that the Vols didn’t use short passes and the middle of the field because Milton wasn’t accurate. Now, it just seems like lack of scheming. UGA dared UT to throw short passes 2 years ago and the Vols didn’t take advantage.

Seems to me that Nico holds the ball a half second too long. Is that because he he’s not identifying his hot reads?

Teams will continue to dare Nico to hit short passes until he shows that he can consistently.
He doesn't have any hot reads that I'm seeing. Everything is taking too long to develop and the Oline isn't going to hold up that long. Josh ***** the bed once a year to someone he should beat, we'll this was it. May get a few more though because lack of adjustments cost them this game and will again if they do this all year. 4 or 5 loss team with this offense right now..

Reactions: USMC-TNVOL
The bottom line we could not score when we needed to do so nor could we stop Arkansas when we needed to do so. A total team failure.

Reactions: The Original Fade
I think he needs to start taking off more often. There were holes open several times last night.
Exactly!! Several times he held onto the ball too long and just kept his tall self “stuck” when it was best that he should run for the first down. He had a look all night of uneasiness…

This offense is predicated on fast snaps, tempo, and basically having the next 3 plays in the chamber ready to go (the way Hooker ran it). Lately, it’s a lot of staring at the sideline, confusion, misalignment, and just slow. Will never work with this group
Something has definitely changed this year from the past couple of years. with the flow.

Reactions: Illinoisvolfan2
O line has been a huge question mark since Heupel has been here. Going forward, I understand why you take a QB every class. You really need a guy who’s been in the system a few years before starting.
It was my number one fear coming into the season. Not just the starters, but if anyone goes down we drop off even from what we saw last night.

My biggest fear is that the blueprint for shutting us down is now an open secret. The Arkansas game plan will be implemented by our opponents for the rest of the yeer

Reactions: tbh
It's a liability right now.. Playcalling could help it out but it didn't. Oline isn't good.. They have a bunch of receivers but not that one guy, probably playing too many guys trying to make them happy. QB looks like he's confused. An we literally have one running play we use.. It's a mess and it should look a lot better than what we're seeing..
This. Keep Bru and Thornton on the field. As we saw with Donte last year, it can take a while for a transfer to feel comfortable. Brazell has time to improve but he’s not there yet. Squirrel has been living off that bowl game vs Clemson for the last two years.

My biggest fear is that the blueprint for shutting us down is now an open secret. The Arkansas game plan will be implemented by our opponents for the rest of the yeer
The blueprint is common knowledge. You think our offense is a mystery???

If you can stop our run with 4 or 5, then our ability to exploit mismatches is severely negated. There's nothing mysterious about it.

It’s frustrating because they knew they didn’t play well against Oklahoma. They had two weeks to get right and flushed it down the drain.

Reactions: tbh
Kind of puzzling after the open date the futility of the Tennessee offense. SEC schedule is now underway and the defense is the team strength. Nico looks more like a true freshman than a 20 year old redshirt who is basically a sophomore. Sampson is a clutch performer but the offensive tackles are extremely limited and overmatched in SEC play. I guess kicking game and defense will have to carry the team and they almost did vs Arkansas minus running into the kicker. Returning to Neyland Stadium hopefully will restore the offense to a winning or at least a competitive level. Hate to say it but Nico may be more of a game manager than a premier qb.
Huge liability. I text my buddy during the middle of the game the following:

Attachments

• IMG_8583.jpeg
    IMG_8583.jpeg
    88.3 KB · Views: 8
The problem is the offensive line, how many times against a five man box does the back carry for no or little gain? Now second and long, still a light box, defense drops seven players,three deep or quarters we give up pressure and Nico has no where to throw.The only way this offense works is to force safeties into the box to help stop the run then we get some one on ones. I would like to see more running back screens.

Offense is clearly a liability. This is 2 straight SEC road games where we struggled mightily to score TDs which won't cut it in SEC play (home or away). We have to mix it up more (e.g., pass on 1st down, get TE's involved, throw slants and intermediate routes, deep routes, etc...).

The blueprint is common knowledge. You think our offense is a mystery???

If you can stop our run with 4 or 5, then our ability to exploit mismatches is severely negated. There's nothing mysterious about it.

If it was common knowledge then it wouldn’t have taken year 3 4 games into the season to put the clamps on it

VN Store

Back