Offense vs Defense

KG1821

Was anyone else not really a fan of the offense vs defense format today? Personally, I would have enjoyed it more if it was something like the 1st team offense and the 2nd team defense and vice versa. Maybe it was just me, but I would have liked this a lot better. I still enjoyed it, but next year I hope they move to that.

I like 1 v 1...higher level of competition for the "starting" group
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Reactions: 2 people
The scoring was kind of like soccer rules...make them up as u go & only pay attention to them for part of the game. It was especially odd since the final was 95-71!

They should have played a "real" football game, with 1's vs 1's. It's truly the only way to get the best out of your players. Also, take off the damn red jerseys. JMO.

Reactions: 1 person
I love this format...you don't think the offense saw the score. There gonna work real hard now

They could care less. This game was about the fans and giving back. The fact that the fans couldn't keep up with the score properly was atrocious. That's a big reason my wife and I left at halftime.

Also, take off the damn red jerseys. JMO.

THIS. It annoys me to see our guys wearing red. Give them a green, blue, black, whatever. Just not red

If I was a defensive player, I feel like I would hit the qb on accident just because he was wearing red. jk

Wasn't severe lack of depth the reason for today's format?

They could care less. This game was about the fans and giving back. The fact that the fans couldn't keep up with the score properly was atrocious. That's a big reason my wife and I left at halftime.

Does the score of a spring scrimmage really matter? I couldn't begin to remember which side won last year, or any year for that matter.

Wasn't severe lack of depth the reason for today's format?

No sir. I think that was kind of the "theme" this spring, because during all the scrimmages, the offense was always on a team against the defense. Just how the coaches do it I suppose

It's still football, not the NBA. Felt I wasn't watching a game today.

I guess you could say you weren't watching a game, you were watching a scrimmage.

It has to be somewhat situational because of the lack of special teams things such as real punts, kick offs, etc.

The scoring was kind of like soccer rules...make them up as u go & only pay attention to them for part of the game. It was especially odd since the final was 95-71!

before the pick six in the last two minutes the score was like 78-71 so it wasn't that bad of a difference.

I guess you could say you weren't watching a game, you were watching a scrimmage.

It has to be somewhat situational because of the lack of special teams things such as real punts, kick offs, etc.

That's not the point I was trying to make. Sure, it looked like football, but it didn't feel like football the way the scoreboard looked. I found myself looking at the scoreboard every play just to see if anyone scored points. Didn't really care for the format at all, and hope they scrap that next year, or I probably won't go up to watch it under that format. Just boring.

Although I didn't understand the scoring system, it's not like the O&W game is really taken seriously. Or any spring game for that matter. It gives you a feel of what you can expect as far as how the offense and defense will lineup, and give you a little taste of what you can expect, but it's mostly for the fans. I enjoyed it. It was a great experience, and it got the fans pumped. That's what we need more than anything, excitement back in Knoxville.

No sir. I think that was kind of the "theme" this spring, because during all the scrimmages, the offense was always on a team against the defense. Just how the coaches do it I suppose

I could be wrong but I thought CBJ cited lack of depth as the reason it was handled that way today. Regardless, I probably prefer traditional scoring, but I don't mind it either way.

**I looked it up and it appears last year's Cincinnati spring game was scheduled to be offense versus defense, before it was cancelled due to inclement weather, so maybe CBJ prefers this format.

That's not the point I was trying to make. Sure, it looked like football, but it didn't feel like football the way the scoreboard looked. I found myself looking at the scoreboard every play just to see if anyone scored points. Didn't really care for the format at all, and hope they scrap that next year, or I probably won't go up to watch it under that format. Just boring.

Hmm, but you said it is still looked like football. Just because the scoring was different than normal doens't make the game boring (of course that's my opinion).

I looked at the score throughout the game just to see who was "winning." Did I care? not really. It didn't matter. I just wanted to watch the actual game. I wanted to see the offense and defense making plays and seeing the guys run around having a good time and playing hard. But that's just me

Although I didn't understand the scoring system, it's not like the O&W game is really taken seriously. Or any spring game for that matter. It gives you a feel of what you can expect as far as how the offense and defense will lineup, and give you a little taste of what you can expect, but it's mostly for the fans. I enjoyed it. It was a great experience, and it got the fans pumped. That's what we need more than anything, excitement back in Knoxville.

The whole thing we have heard from Jones and Co. is effort and don't stop playing till the whistle blows. To me, that's in an actual game, and this wasn't an actual game. Today was the perfect time to go full bore and let it all hang out, so to speak. Obviously, scheme wise they never would have shown everything, but it would have been nice to see somewhat of a competent offense on the field. The first 2 quarters looked atrocious on offense, and our QB's sure didn't show me anything to go on going into the summer.

Just would rather see something that the fans recognize, not what was shown today.

Hmm, but you said it is still looked like football. Just because the scoring was different than normal doens't make the game boring (of course that's my opinion).

I looked at the score throughout the game just to see who was "winning." Did I care? not really. It didn't matter. I just wanted to watch the actual game. I wanted to see the offense and defense making plays and seeing the guys run around having a good time and playing hard. But that's just me

I'm just a traditional football junkie. Don't like the original thing toyed with.

I could be wrong but I thought CBJ cited lack of depth as the reason it was handled that way today. Regardless, I probably prefer traditional scoring, but I don't mind it either way.

**I looked it up and it appears last year's Cincinnati spring game was scheduled to be offense versus defense, before it was cancelled due to inclement weather, so maybe CBJ prefers this format.

That's the way I see it. Honestly I like it better the traditional way (with 1vs1 and 2vs2) so there is a "team" with both offense and a defensive unit who come together, but either way it's just a scrimmage to watch the guys mix it up and get after it. I thought the atmosphere was great, and had a great time watching

The whole thing we have heard from Jones and Co. is effort and don't stop playing till the whistle blows. To me, that's in an actual game, and this wasn't an actual game. Today was the perfect time to go full bore and let it all hang out, so to speak. Obviously, scheme wise they never would have shown everything, but it would have been nice to see somewhat of a competent offense on the field. The first 2 quarters looked atrocious on offense, and our QB's sure didn't show me anything to go on going into the summer.

Just would rather see something that the fans recognize, not what was shown today.

I do feel like our QB's are going to be a weakness for us this year if we have to rely on Worley or Peterman. Worley looked decent, but nothing special. Peterman definitely has mobility, and could have broke some big runs if not for the no-contact jersey. Not to mention, a perfect pass down the sideline. But really other than that, he struggled to get anything going. I'm not going to put all of the blame on them though, as the OL was collapsing nearly every time they'd drop back. The DL got the best of them today. You also have to look at our WR depth being very thin with the injuries of Croom and Harris. I think the QB's will come along well by fall, but I wouldn't give either Worley or Peterman the job now. Dobbs and Ferguson have a fairly decent chance to earn the starting spot.

University of Cincinnati Official Athletic Site

I like 1 v 1...higher level of competition for the "starting" group
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I haven't seen the game yet...only a few highlights...but wouldn't offense v defense be 1s v 1s, at least part of the game?

VN Store

Back