Offensive thoughts...

armchair

1) We are running a read-option offense--predicated on a QB who runs and backs who are quick--with a QB who doesn't run and backs who are more strong than quick. I thought one big aspect of good coaching was playing to your strengths? Our running scheme today was BAD. The read-option does not seem a good scheme for our offensive personnel. It's fine against cupcakes, but we are not going to beat anybody in the SEC with this predictable, slow-developing scheme. We'd be better off playing I formation football with a fullback--seriously. Fullbacks might be passe, but we don't look good running the read-option.

2) Lane had 20 more yards than Neal today on 1 more carry. Significant? Might be.

3) Why isn't Croom playing TE where he could be a matchup problem for opposing LBs? He's got a prototypical TE body. Downs doesn't look fast--and we have more depth at WR than any position on the team. We were torched today by Oregon's FRESHMAN TE.

4) How is it that Smith is wide open for a nice catch-and-run 51-yard play in the first quarter and he doesn't catch another pass the rest of the day? After that play, we had 3--count 'em--passes of more than 10 yards on the day--one for 11, one for 12, one for 14. One of those was to a back, and I think all of them were after the game was way over.

5) Our supposed uptempo offense is slow. We looked like a Randy Sanders offense today: we'd get up to the line and then stand around for too long. Took too long to get plays off. Oregon was getting plays off in half the time. If you are going to stand around for 20 second, why not just huddle up. We're not good enough to run an uptempo offense, anyway. Round peg in a square hole.

6) Good coaches can take mediocre talent and make first downs. That's what good coaches can do. I didn't say score 30 points: I said execute some basic plays and make first downs to give your team a fighting chance. We did not look like a well-coached offense today, I don't care what the talent level is. I've seen a LOT of bama teams, for example, win a LOT of football games with some middling QBs. You have to play to your strengths and execute. :peace2:

Reactions: 7 people
I do like the idea of Croom at TE. Worley kept throwing to the TE and all I've heard this preseason is how we don't have a solid TE. Croom would definitely be a match up nightmare.

Also, I'll take Lane over Neal every day of he week.

I do like the idea of Croom at TE. Worley kept throwing to the TE and all I've heard this preseason is how we don't have a solid TE. Croom would definitely be a match up nightmare.

Also, I'll take Lane over Neal every day of he week.

Lane looks much better, imo.

Reactions: 2 people
I thought one of the biggest problems with your offense today was that your offensive line wasn't very good. Repeatedly the Duck defensive linemen were getting into them and standing them up. I had expected a much more physical offensive line.

I had thoughts of shagging a couple of the Oregon cheerleaders

That's my only offensive thoughts of the day

Quack, Quack

Reactions: 5 people
i'm not sure about moving Croom,of course they ought to try throwing it to him more than once or twice a game

i have no idea about the read option without the QB running either, at least have Worley take off every once in a while and do the QB slide

I thought one of the biggest problems with your offense today was that your offensive line wasn't very good. Repeatedly the Duck defensive linemen were getting into them and standing them up. I had expected a much more physical offensive line.

Thought we might miss Sam Pittman. Looking like this may be the case.

Reactions: 1 person

they did ok,our QB stood around staring one receiver down and didn't get rid of the ball in a timely manner,he didn't have much of a pocket presents either :)

NP is perfect for the style of offense Butch wants to run. I think the only reason Worley is quarter back is a little mores experience. Not working, NP will start next week.

Like Sal on D. The play calling looked Randy Sanders' "they'll never expect us to try that again" Misdirection? Again? Why not play our strength we had power over them, but tried to outrun them? really?

1) We are running a read-option offense--predicated on a QB who runs and backs who are quick--with a QB who doesn't run and backs who are more strong than quick. I thought one big aspect of good coaching was playing to your strengths? Our running scheme today was BAD. The read-option does not seem a good scheme for our offensive personnel. It's fine against cupcakes, but we are not going to beat anybody in the SEC with this predictable, slow-developing scheme. We'd be better off playing I formation football with a fullback--seriously. Fullbacks might be passe, but we don't look good running the read-option.

2) Lane had 20 more yards than Neal today on 1 more carry. Significant? Might be.

3) Why isn't Croom playing TE where he could be a matchup problem for opposing LBs? He's got a prototypical TE body. Downs doesn't look fast--and we have more depth at WR than any position on the team. We were torched today by Oregon's FRESHMAN TE.

4) How is it that Smith is wide open for a nice catch-and-run 51-yard play in the first quarter and he doesn't catch another pass the rest of the day? After that play, we had 3--count 'em--passes of more than 10 yards on the day--one for 11, one for 12, one for 14. One of those was to a back, and I think all of them were after the game was way over.

5) Our supposed uptempo offense is slow. We looked like a Randy Sanders offense today: we'd get up to the line and then stand around for too long. Took too long to get plays off. Oregon was getting plays off in half the time. If you are going to stand around for 20 second, why not just huddle up. We're not good enough to run an uptempo offense, anyway. Round peg in a square hole.

6) Good coaches can take mediocre talent and make first downs. That's what good coaches can do. I didn't say score 30 points: I said execute some basic plays and make first downs to give your team a fighting chance. We did not look like a well-coached offense today, I don't care what the talent level is. I've seen a LOT of bama teams, for example, win a LOT of football games with some middling QBs. You have to play to your strengths and execute. :peace2:

I cannot disagree with you at all.

That's funny, I could have sworn I heard one of the announcers mention once that Tn off line was getting a 5 yard push most of the time.

We are right where I thought we would be at this point of the season. 2-1. If anyone didn't expect that, they were smoking something.

We are right where I thought we would be at this point of the season. 2-1. If anyone didn't expect that, they were smoking something.

Oh I expected it. I just hoped by the third game of the season we would've ran it atleast once from the read option with the qb. Besides a few times against AP.

Easy to do when u have no fear of a down field passing game. Like WKU last week in the first half Oregon run blitzed like crazy putting more in the box then u can block. Last week Worley came out throwing and backed them off and we ran for 200 yards. This week (granted against the legit #2 in nation) he was too indecisive to hit on an Oregon cheerleader.

You are spot on with numbers 5 and 6. I had to walk outside and cool off a few times this game due to lack of basic execution on offense. I'm not in the huddle to know the plays, so if I were a reporter my question to CBJ today would have been, "Why did you keep trying to pass when Lane was picking up 3-4 yards up the middle almost every time." They had three men down on the line, and they begged us to run the ball. We don't have speed, but with our o-line and Lane we have true power. We didn't have to score but we couldn't afford 3 and out after 3 and out. I just feel like Mike and CBJ forced the issue on what they wanted to do offensive wise and it got us destroyed today. Either we play to our strengths or we gets Dobbs in there to run a true option scheme.

Easy to do when u have no fear of a down field passing game. Like WKU last week in the first half Oregon run blitzed like crazy putting more in the box then u can block. Last week Worley came out throwing and backed them off and we ran for 200 yards. This week (granted against the legit #2 in nation) he was too indecisive to hit on an Oregon cheerleader.

I know it seemed like they blitzed a lot but they didn't. They show blitz formations, but 85% of the time they only rushed 3-4 guys. Our o-line just got abused today because of speed and piss poor play calling.

That's funny, I could have sworn I heard one of the announcers mention once that Tn off line was getting a 5 yard push most of the time.

Well I was down close to the field (row 6 on the 30 yard line) and on several plays, I basically had a view right down the line of scrimmage. From my view you could see the Duck defensive linemen get into the TN oline and stand them up. I'd give credit to Lane and Neil for getting those yards.

I will say in the first quarter the TN oline did get into the defense pretty good. But that didn't last very long.

I'm not pretending to be some football expert, just telling you what it looked like at field level looking down the line.

VN Store

Back