Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread

bleedorange0037

Less than a month to go. The US, England and others have started to release their final rosters. It's time this thing had it's own thread.

Who's everybody got?

I'd say Brazil has the best shot at winning, with Spain and Germany just marginally behind them. Belgium is my dark horse for this summer, but they have a similar feel to what the Dutch had in 2006 in the sense that they're immensely talented, but still so young that they might be a major tournament or two away from hitting their full potential.

At this point I'd be okay with just about anybody but Spain winning. They won the last WC and the last two Euro's. It's time for somebody else to have a turn.

I have a feeling the European squads will be overall underwhelming. Just like it's tough for other regions to play in Europe, I think it will prove a difficult situation for EU teams in Brazil. It is the home team's tournament to lose. I agree that Belgium is a team that should have a good showing.

I'd say Brazil has the best shot at winning, with Spain and Germany just marginally behind them. Belgium is my dark horse for this summer, but they have a similar feel to what the Dutch had in 2006 in the sense that they're immensely talented, but still so young that they might be a major tournament or two away from hitting their full potential.

At this point I'd be okay with just about anybody but Spain winning. They won the last WC and the last two Euro's. It's time for somebody else to have a turn.

How good is France this time around? They usually have a quality squad.

I have a feeling the European squads will be overall underwhelming. Just like it's tough for other regions to play in Europe, I think it will prove a difficult situation for EU teams in Brazil. It is the home team's tournament to lose. I agree that Belgium is a team that should have a good showing.

Belgium probably drew into the easiest group, but IIRC if they win it would end up playing their first knockout game with whoever finishes 2nd in the US's stacked group. I'm still not 100% sold they are ready to make a really deep run.

I don't really think Europe can be THAT underwhelming. There's some quality teams in South America, but IMO Brazil and Argentina are the only one's that you can make a legit argument for having the ability to actually win the whole thing.

How good is France this time around? They usually have a quality squad.

Not really sure what to make of them. They've got some decent talent, but since getting to the final in 2006, they have struggled mightily. They didn't get out of the group stage at Euro 2008, only qualified for the 2010 WC because Thierry Henry blatantly handled the ball on the deciding goal against Ireland, then went on to flame out in the group stage only earning one point, and had to miraculously overturn a 2-0 first leg deficit to Ukraine to get in this summer.

Belgium probably drew into the easiest group, but IIRC if they win it would end up playing their first knockout game with whoever finishes 2nd in the US's stacked group. I'm still not 100% sold they are ready to make a really deep run.

I don't really think Europe can be THAT underwhelming. There's some quality teams in South America, but IMO Brazil and Argentina are the only one's that you can make a legit argument for having the ability to actually win the whole thing.

I guess underwhelm is a bit of a relative term. I think you'll see the Euro teams with a bit more of a struggle a little. And between groups B,D, and G, some top teams will be left behind.

Group A- Brazil & Mexico
Group B- Spain & Chile
Group C- Colombia & Greece
Group D- Uruguay & Italy (Costa Rica makes it close)
Group E- Ecuador & Honduras
Group F- Argentina & Bosnia&Herz
Group G- Germany & Portugal/USA
Group H- Belgium & S. Korea

I dont know how far they will go, but Belgium looked nasty when we played the friendly with them. Those guys are tanks. That Brazil heat might kill em though.

I of course pull for the U.S. until they make their usual early exit, and then I pull for Germany the rest of the way.

I think Spain wins it again, though...

I don't think Belgium is considered a sleeper since everyone is saying they will make a run. I dont think they will do much regardless due to it being in South America.

A real sleeper is Chile. I like them to really push Spain in winning that group.

I don't think Belgium is considered a sleeper since everyone is saying they will make a run. I dont think they will do much regardless due to it being in South America.

A real sleeper is Chile. I like them to really push Spain in winning that group.

South America is loaded this time around. Uruguay is a really good team, and they finished 5th in qualifying and had to get in through the play-in.

A very good team is going to finish in the runner-up position in Group B, and will almost certainly be rewarded with a Round of 16 match against Brazil.

Last edited:
Group A- Brazil & Mexico
Group B- Spain & Chile
Group C- Colombia & Greece
Group D- Uruguay & Italy (Costa Rica makes it close)
Group E- Ecuador & Honduras
Group F- Argentina & Bosnia&Herz
Group G- Germany & Portugal/USA
Group H- Belgium & S. Korea

You can't count out the Dutch team. The Netherlands has always been tough in the World Cup. I like their orange shirts also!:rock:

Reactions: 1 person
You can't count out the Dutch team. The Netherlands has always been tough in the World Cup. I like their orange shirts also!:rock:

I don't really like their chances this year. They were a trainwreck at Euro 2012, and are probably in the toughest group in this WC. The core of guys like Van Persie, Robben and Sneijder that got them to the final in 2010 has gotten kind of old and this next wave of guys is unproven at best.

Reactions: 1 person
Anybody catch the E:60 special on the USMNT yesterday? Pretty good.

In the world cup, besides the obvious that I pull for US and A:

Holland (I have relatives that got me into soccer who are Dutch immigrants)
The underdog
Brazil
Mexico (bitter rival, but Mexico is my 2nd country)

I root against:

Argentina
France

I of course pull for the U.S. until they make their usual early exit, and then I pull for Germany the rest of the way.

I think Spain wins it again, though...

Please no. I respect them as a squad, and they are so skilled, but when they get a 1-goal lead they sandbag, and it can be pretty boring.

Anybody catch the E:60 special on the USMNT yesterday? Pretty good.

In the world cup, besides the obvious that I pull for US and A:

Holland (I have relatives that got me into soccer who are Dutch immigrants)
The underdog
Brazil
Mexico (bitter rival, but Mexico is my 2nd country)

I root against:

Argentina
France

I pulled against Argentina last time because Maradona is a douch of epic proportions, but I normally pull for them and will likely do so again this time.

In addition, I'll be pulling for:

USA
Holland
Belgium
England

and rooting against:

France
Italy

Argentina is kinda the Texas of Latin America. They have so much pride. It's not a bad thing, but some are so obnoxious and the last thing you want is to have to hear them crow about soccer.

Too bad North Korea isn't in it this time around. They were really interesting in the last WC!;):p I read somewhere I believe that the members of that team are in a prison camp somewhere in the DPRK.

VN Store

Back