Official 2014 FIFA World Cup Thread

That's gonna have to wait until his career is done. He'd be on the short list though

He got way too much criticism for his last World Cup. He was the best player in the tournament until Argentina was eliminated. People get too caught up in the fact that he didn't score.

I think one thing he has going for him is that the talent pool and money in soccer is bigger than ever. I'd say it's harder to dominate today than in the 70s and 80s.

I think one thing he has going for him is that the talent pool and money in soccer is bigger than ever. I'd say it's harder to dominate today than in the 70s and 80s.

I don't know if you could say the talent pool at the very top of the sport is better now than 20-40 years ago. Pele never played in Europe, Maradona did. When you're talking European cup competitions, you're realistically looking at maybe a dozen or so elite clubs. It's the same story now as it was then. I think the only place where TV money has truly changed the landscape is the EPL.

Mexico with a couple quick ones and now they're up 3-0 over ecuador. don't look all that bad after that injury in the first half shook them up

Watched about 30 mins of the Portugal Greece game and Greece should have converted a couple opportunities that I saw. It ended 0-0

Last edited:
Now Valencia scored to make it 3-1. Ecuador could do alright in their group. I'm not sure how I expect Switzerland to play, and they play France last

I don't see how that translates to the World Cup. Most potential host countries (ones that should be hosting, anyways) already have the existing stadium infrastructure to pull it off. It's not like building luge tracks or softball diamonds that will never be used again. I don't agree with the extent to which host countries feel pressured to overhaul their stadiums, a'la Brasil this year or Poland/Ukraine for the last Euro, but virtually the entire developed world has what it takes to just throw some extra banners on existing stadiums and call it a day for hosting the WC.

Reactions: 2 people
I don't see how that translates to the World Cup. Most potential host countries (ones that should be hosting, anyways) already have the existing stadium infrastructure to pull it off. It's not like building luge tracks or softball diamonds that will never be used again. I don't agree with the extent to which host countries feel pressured to overhaul their stadiums, a'la Brasil this year or Poland/Ukraine for the last Euro, but virtually the entire developed world has what it takes to just throw some extra banners on existing stadiums and call it a day for hosting the WC.

That just makes too much sense. Unfortunately, FIFA's idiotic stadium guidelines that require a "sophisticated roof" over all the stands makes that almost impossible. The United States has some of the nicest stadiums on the planet, but almost certainly doesn't have enough that meet that criteria to host the WC without major renovations being necessary.

Too bad FIFA is trying to be more "inclusive" and picking awful hosts/taking bribes for future WC's.

I think you have a point that it's less costly than the olympics, but I'm not sure it's a good deal for any nation, especially underdeveloped ones who are frequently awarded the WC. It's not looking too hot for South Africa:

South Africa and its taxpayers however, had to shoulder all of the costs (estimated to be 4.1 billion dollars)to modernize and construct the stadiums, hotels, roads, and other forms of local infrastructure necessary to host a global party. All this construction generated over 22,000 jobs, but they were all temporary contract jobs.

The new infrastructure is beneficial to locals, but after the World Cup, all the extra hotels and stadiums are sitting idle, as South Africa has not been able to generate or maintain the level of tourism that it experienced during the tournament. The construction of these state-of-the-art stadiums is not sustainable, as ticket revenues alone were not able to make up for the costs of yearly maintenance.

The World Cup: How FIFA Benefits While Host Countries Lose Big

Colombia's Falcao not going to make it. Some thought he might be ready for the WC, but he didn't make the final roster. huge hit to them

Attrition

Brazil still has to be the overwhelming favorite to win it all, but I don't see any European sides with the horses to win it, especially given their track record in South America.

Argentina still has enough quality in the attacking positions to pull off a good run.

I don't see any European sides with the horses to win it

Really?

Casillas
Pique
Ramos
Alba
Juanfran
Xavi
Iniesta
Silva
Alonso
Fabregas
Busquets
Costa
Torres
Villa

Neuer
Lahm
Mertesacker
Hummels
Boateng
Schweinsteiger
Ozil
Mueller
Kroos
Reus
Schurrle
Khedira
Goetze
Klose
Podolski

especially given their track record in South America

Everyone is saying this. But remember, it's been 36 years since the World Cup has been in South America (28 year if you want to count Mexico City). Probably not a great indicator of how the European teams will fair in 2014. JMO

Reactions: 1 person
Attrition

Brazil still has to be the overwhelming favorite to win it all, but I don't see any European sides with the horses to win it, especially given their track record in South America.

Argentina still has enough quality in the attacking positions to pull off a good run.

Until proven otherwise, Spain and Germany are both the juggernauts favored over Brazil

Ok. Tomorrow is the big day. Four years of waiting are finally gone.

Let's hear some picks.

Sleeper: Chile, I think they advance over the Netherlands in their group.

Disappointment: Spain, they will not make the semifinals. Del Bosque showed a complete lack of imagination with his selection and I think their performance mirrors Barcelona this past season.

Final: Brazil v Argentina

Brazil wins it.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back