Oh my, Tennessee has only one Dylan Sampson-West

There was a time when we had embarrassing riches at CB and S year after year.

RB is just a transition year but hopefully we're just reloading since Wright and Small are gone.
Oh I think we’re stronger than ever at RB.

Year one we had
Evans (jr)
Small (So)
Wright (Fr)
NONE OF THESE GUYS WERE PROVEN AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON in 2021…
And we still ran on folks with a skinny Wright and a hungry Small.

Year 2 was even better with Wright, Small and Sampson

Year 3 Wright was a beast, then Sampson overtook Small. And you still had Small

Year 4
Sampson 5’11 205 4.3 speed (Jr)
- over 1500 career total yards and 17 TDs
Seldon 6’2 220 4.3 speed (so)
- 200 total yards
Keith 6’1 240 4.6 speed (rsFr)
- some carries in under 4 games
Bishop 5’11 200 4.5 speed (rsFr)
- currently the #2 RB
Lewis 6’1 210 4.3 speed (TrFr)
- National Sprint Champion in HS

I think we’ll manage with our veteran oline

Oh I think we’re stronger than ever at RB.

Year one we had
Evans (jr)
Small (So)
Wright (Fr)
NONE OF THESE GUYS WERE PROVEN AT THE BEGINNING OF THE SEASON in 2021…
And we still ran on folks with a skinny Wright and a hungry Small.

Year 2 was even better with Wright, Small and Sampson

Year 3 Wright was a beast, then Sampson overtook Small. And you still had Small

Year 4
Sampson 5’11 205 4.3 speed (Jr)
- over 1500 career total yards and 17 TDs
Seldon 6’2 220 4.3 speed (so)
- 200 total yards
Keith 6’1 240 4.6 speed (rsFr)
- some carries in under 4 games
Bishop 5’11 200 4.5 speed (rsFr)
- currently the #2 RB
Lewis 6’1 210 4.3 speed (TrFr)
- National Sprint Champion in HS

I think we’ll manage with our veteran oline

Overall I agree but it takes more than weight and speed. We've seen top 5 backs in the country out of high school have average careers.

I personally think Small was more consistent than Sampson. I guess I tend to like what Small brought to UT when we needed a tackle breaker and fans wanted to treat him like they do Vescovi, always putting him on the bench for another player. I also question that 4.3 speed you list for Sampson. He's a very good back but I think people inflate 40 speed or at least on the field he is not leaving players in the dust consistently when he breaks into the open field.

Overall I agree but it takes more than weight and speed. We've seen top 5 backs in the country out of high school have average careers.

I personally think Small was more consistent than Sampson. I guess I tend to like what Small brought to UT when we needed a tackle breaker and fans wanted to treat him like they do Vescovi, always putting him on the bench for another player. I also question that 4.3 speed you list for Sampson. He's a very good back but I think people inflate 40 speed or at least on the field he is not leaving players in the dust consistently when he breaks into the open field.
leaving players in the dust consistently when he breaks into the open field. You mean like Wright did? Oh yeah. I hope Sampson is close to that speed...

Reactions: BreatheUT

You're right, a legit sub 4.4 is a hell of a lot more uncommon than many believe. Here's the whole list of RB's that met that criteria in the last combine.

Jaylen Wright (Go Vols) 4.38
Isaac Guerendo Louisville 4.33
Trey Benson Fl St 4.39

That's it...that's the list.

You're right, a legit sub 4.4 is a hell of a lot more uncommon than many believe. Here's the whole list of RB's that met that criteria in the last combine.

Jaylen Wright (Go Vols) 4.38
Isaac Guerendo Louisville 4.33
Trey Benson Fl St 4.39

That's it...that's the list.
…and that is after weeks of training to run that sprint, track cleats and gear.

Reactions: hndog609

Sampson was a 10.6 100 meter guy in HS
Seldon was 10.7 100 meter
Lewis was even faster.

Sampson had a long 80 yarder against Vandy.

Speed isn’t everything, and neither is experience.
Again… go back to that spring of 2021. Tiyon was out. Small was trying to get bigger. Wright was fresh on campus. None of those dudes were proven. That was the big talk of the whole spring.

We rushed for 214 yards a game and 2800 yards overall on the season.

Heupel has got this man. This backfield is more talented and has more experience.

Sampson was a 10.6 100 meter guy in HS
Seldon was 10.7 100 meter
Lewis was even faster.

Sampson had a long 80 yarder against Vandy.

Speed isn’t everything, and neither is experience.
Again… go back to that spring of 2021. Tiyon was out. Small was trying to get bigger. Wright was fresh on campus. None of those dudes were proven. That was the big talk of the whole spring.

We rushed for 214 yards a game and 2800 yards overall on the season.

Heupel has got this man. This backfield is more talented and has more experience.
Zero concern with our RBs or RB depth. Halzle can work this one.

VN Store

Back