Ohio State #2 thats a joke right?!

Honestly, if they are #2 or #1 at the point of the BCS and an SEC team beats them in the title game for a third year in a row, I don't see how you could ever justify placing them in the champ game against the SEC ever again.

With any of these polls, ranking the top teams of a conference highly becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy. If teams A, B, and C, only play each other and then a bunch of powder puffs, of course they will end up with at worst two losses against "quality competition." And odds are one will emerge above the other two, thus "proving" the early rankings. It isn't just the Big Ten, it's college football in general. But yes, most years the Big Ten is a house of cards, leaning on preseason fallacies to prove the champ deserves the hype and big bowl...

Ohio State will have a hard time finishing outside of the top ten, simply because of how their schedule sets up. How many games can they realistically lose? 2? 3? And then they'd still be one of the top teams in their conference, with losses to "quality" opponents.

This was supposed to be Ohio State's big year anyway, not last year. The Big 10 should suck even more than usual this year, so OSU has an excellent shot to go through the league undefeated. Everything for them depends on the game at USC; win that, and the path back to the title game is wide open. Lose that, and it probably won't matter what they do the rest of the way.

In fairness to OSU <ugh> they really didn't belong there last year and were a product of teams that should've been really good (Michigan, Wisconsin) underperforming and the rest of the conference being mediocre. Two years ago, I think it was simply a case of overconfidence. I don't think they thought that there was any chance they could lose, and got ROLLED. I think last year's OSU team wasn't one of the best 5-7 teams in the nation. They were decidedly average.

if the beat SC in Los Angles and win the rest of their games they deserve to be in the NC game.

if the beat SC in Los Angles and win the rest of their games they deserve to be in the NC game.
no.

one game does not make up for the other utterly horrid games on their schedule. the big 10 is not going to be good this year. OSU will be the best one of the bunch though, and your assuming that USC is going to pick up where they left off, which by all rights, they should, but they are replacing a qb.....

won't matter......SC will beat OSU.

Pre-season polls make the idiotic mistake of factoring in the strength of schedules into their rankings. So, even if this poll thinks UGA or a few other teams are better than OSU, they look at UGA's schedule and see a few possible losses. So they put OSU higher. It's ridiculous. OSU isn't the second best team in the nation and I'd almost guarantee the author agrees with me.

no.

one game does not make up for the other utterly horrid games on their schedule. the big 10 is not going to be good this year. OSU will be the best one of the bunch though, and your assuming that USC is going to pick up where they left off, which by all rights, they should, but they are replacing a qb.....

won't matter......SC will beat OSU.

The Big 10 will be better this year than in 2007, which is A) not saying much, and B) not by a lot.

Why shouldn't they be #2? They'll finish the season with 1 loss.
:good!:
Pre-season polls make the idiotic mistake of factoring in the strength of schedules into their rankings. So, even if this poll thinks UGA or a few other teams are better than OSU, they look at UGA's schedule and see a few possible losses. So they put OSU higher. It's ridiculous. OSU isn't the second best team in the nation and I'd almost guarantee the author agrees with me.

That's now how preseason mags and AP/Coach voters think, though.

In our imperfect system, they should be considered top 5.

I disagree. If any consideration of scedule should be made, the easy schedule should result in them being ranked lower, in order to give the better teams a chance to hang with them. In the current scenario, if UGA and Ohio State both finish with 1 loss, there's a good chance UGA would be ranked below Ohio State.

The Big 10 will be better this year than in 2007, which is A) not saying much, and B) not by a lot.
if anything, it may stay the same.....mich isn't going to be great.....Wisc, PSU, Iowa aren't going to be much different than they were last year........Illinois should take a bit of a step back.

unless purdue, mich st, ind or minn are going to have break out years....it should be Ohio State followed by everyone else. there's absolutely nothing for me to get excited about this year in the big 10.....2-3 years from now...that may be a different story.....but not this year.

Michigan State will have a breakout year, Penn State is going to be solid, but Iowa is going to be even worse.

Minnesota will improve by 3 or 4 wins, too.

Michigan State will have a breakout year, Penn State is going to be solid, but Iowa is going to be even worse.

Minnesota will improve by 3 or 4 wins, too.

I can't see Michigan State being as good as Illinois was last year. I don't see how Illinois won't decline, either.

VN Store

Back