ok seeing as hindsight is 20/20

DeepSpringsVol

Getting to prominence will take time.
For over awhile several media folks saying given what Butch was inheriting they would buy out of the Oregon game and replace with another school of obvious inferiority. Do you think it would have been better to do that? Or do you prefer the we shouldn't back away fron a challenge regardless of how monstrous it may be?

I for one am still glad we played it because at least we know every ounce of our team that needs adjustments. (I have slept and licked my wounds and am amping for an also struggling Florida Gators) Go Vols!

Reactions: 1 person
It should have been bought out. No question.

Another cupcake game could have made the difference in us making it to a bowl game. Vandy doesn't have an asterisk next to their 9-4 season last year, despite all of their wins coming against crappy teams. I'm pretty sure they bought out a game as well.

Reactions: 4 people
I would have bought out of this game rather than the UNC game.

We would have heard about it for all of about 5 minutes if we had bought it out though.

Reactions: 2 people
For over awhile several media folks saying given what Butch was inheriting they would buy out of the Oregon game and replace with another school of obvious inferiority. Do you think it would have been better to do that? Or do you prefer the we shouldn't back away fron a challenge regardless of how monstrous it may be?

I for one am still glad we played it because at least we know every ounce of our team that needs adjustments. (I have slept and licked my wounds and am amping for an also struggling Florida Gators) Go Vols!

I think it depends on your players and coaches. A bad loss at the start of the season can really wreck a team. It can also have a small effect on recruiting. We just have to hope the coaches know how to keep the team motivated and that recruits didn't waver at all watching their future team get throttled.

That game yesterday won't make us any better. In fact, it can only hurt team morale and our depth with injuries.

Disagree. Butch lost toDooley while at Cincinnati then went on to win 8 straight. he knows how to deal with this.

Reactions: 5 people

schedule be dammed... bring em all on, play whoever is next ..........

ie "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead"

I'm totally against pussing out. That's the message we want to send. We need get beat badly but we got a lot of good film to study on an opponent that's at the top of college football. This will work out as a huge learning tool

Reactions: 3 people
I would rather play the best and get housed than whip some no name team; because then this place would have a false sense of how good we are, and we'd go stupid with the talk around here.

It should have been bought out. No question.

Another cupcake game could have made the difference in us making it to a bowl game. Vandy doesn't have an asterisk next to their 9-4 season last year, despite all of their wins coming against crappy teams. I'm pretty sure they bought out a game as well.

Buddy, we aren't Vandy and never will be. A team full of young players being able to experience that is a great thing. This will help them grow.

schedule be dammed... bring em all on, play whoever is next ..........

ie "damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead"

Thank God someone with the will to fight and take on anyone is still on this board. Most of these buyout sissies have to be from the everyone gets a trophy for just showing up generation. How you been ole friend?

That game yesterday won't make us any better. In fact, it can only hurt team morale and our depth with injuries.

Exactly. Getting blown out on national tv for the last 5 years hasn't helped one bit. It just shows the rest of the country how bad we really are. All it has shown is that we are good at taking a** whoopings in conf. and ooc.

Buddy, we aren't Vandy and never will be. A team full of young players being able to experience that is a great thing. This will help them grow.

So, getting stomped by Oregon is better in your mind than going to a bowl game and getting an extra month of practices?

That's foolish. If playing good teams made us better, we wouldn't still absolutely suck, since we play a gauntlet of a schedule year in and year out.

Buy it out.

Ultimately might be the difference in avoiding the first 4 win season in the history of UT football.

Yes we should have bought it out. We hurt our team moral, embarrassed ourselves on national TV, and ultimately affected our season, recruiting and program momentum. Not worth the challenge IMO.

VN Store

Back