Oklahoma vs Tulane Film Study

Which resulted in us running the ball down their throat. The defense will have to decide what they want to defend and then we take advantage of what they're giving up.
I think Venables is going to make Nico beat him. And I would too. He knows our running game over time will wear on them. Unless Tennessee turns the ball over or is sloppy, we should win fairly comfortably. But that’s why they play the game.

The NC State game I think was a good test for Nico. Weird defense to prepare for and we still scored 50+. Heupel gonna have us ready to play

I think Venables is going to make Nico beat him. And I would too. He knows our running game over time will wear on them. Unless Tennessee turns the ball over or is sloppy, we should win fairly comfortably. But that’s why they play the game.

The NC State game I think was a good test for Nico. Weird defense to prepare for and we still scored 50+. Heupel gonna have us ready to play
We won’t run down OU’s throat like we did NC State. Big difference in their front 7. Watched quite a bit of film study on them this week and they have the horses. Just have to hope we can do what we need to do.

My concern is that this is a good team that hasn't figured things out yet. Hopefully that trend continues Saturday but I am not banking on it.
I will try to put your mind at ease with this one fact. We have arguably the best D-Line in CFB. That's our biggest strength. Guess what their biggest weakness is? Their O-Line.They had to replace the entire unit this season plus they are riddled with injuries. They have arguably one of the worst lines in the SEC.

It's gonna be a massacre in the trenches. Arnold is gonna have sunburns on the bottom of his feet comes Sunday Morning. Not to mention their RBs and average and Arnold is RS Freshman. Peace will feast

Maybe oversimplified, but my thought is we aren’t likely to score our average of 64 pts in this game, but I’m estimating we’ll get around half that. So giving us about 32 pts, do you think a mightily struggling O line with a significant number of injuries and an offense whose leading rusher is the QB is going to put up 32 pts or more against a Defense that hasn’t allowed a touchdown in 4 games? Not likely at all. This could stay close through a half, but I don’t see a nail biter here. Vols 34-17.
VOLS by 30+. Don't think it will be that close.

I will try to put your mind at ease with this one fact. We have arguably the best D-Line in CFB. That's our biggest strength. Guess what their biggest weakness is? Their O-Line.They had to replace the entire unit this season plus they are riddled with injuries. They have arguably one of the worst lines in the SEC.

It's gonna be a massacre in the trenches. Arnold is gonna have sunburns on the bottom of his feet comes Sunday Morning. Not to mention their RBs and average and Arnold is RS Freshman. Peace will feast
I concur, Hoss! :cool:

I have the same concern. People were saying Oregon could be in for a disappointing season until they figured things out last weekend beat Oregon State by 35 points. Prior to that they'd beaten Idaho and Boise State by a combined 13 points.
Yeah but our team is not Oregon State and Jackson Arnold is not Dillon Gabriel lol. Any team playing us this year should have their stuff figured out well in advance before they meet us on the field if they want a chance to win.

We won’t run down OU’s throat like we did NC State. Big difference in their front 7. Watched quite a bit of film study on them this week and they have the horses. Just have to hope we can do what we need to do.
WTF?! So we can't run the ball? This is a different team. This is an aggressive offensive and defensive team, that's not 1 dimensional. We will run and throw the ball.

WTF?! So we can't run the ball? This is a different team. This is an aggressive offensive and defensive team, that's not 1 dimensional. We will run and throw the ball.
We can run the ball, but it’ll be a few yards here a few yards there. Won’t be busting off first downs every run. We can throw those little dink and dunk passes to the sideline hoping our receivers create a lot of yards after catch that we love to do, but OU will be all over that. We can only hope our outside receivers can create separation. We can only hope over the middle nico doesn’t think he will just force them in there like he has been because these guys are 5* dudes that will be reading his every move. All im saying is we are overconfident and that has never got anyone anywhere good.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
QB threw for 361 yards in their bowl game last year in his first collegiate appearance. He's a former 5-star. Don't think he sucks as bad as his statistics indicate.
He is very talented, but he doesn't read the field very well at this point and makes bad decisions under pressure. He can surely burn you with his legs though.

I have the same concern. People were saying Oregon could be in for a disappointing season until they figured things out last weekend beat Oregon State by 35 points. Prior to that they'd beaten Idaho and Boise State by a combined 13 points.
There is a big difference between OU and Oregon. OU has quite a few players out that won’t play in our game. Oregon did not. Everyone knew Oregon would figure it out because they are an explosive team. Very few think that way about OU. Its not the same.

Arnold reminds me of JG. An okish QB. Maybe OK is OK with ok? He has all the physical tools but they don't seem to add up?
He is playing for a defensive minded HC. Also last year, they had Jeff Lebby. An OC as good as he is isn’t easy to replace. If OU still had him, I believe Arnold would be much further along development wise.

We can run the ball, but it’ll be a few yards here a few yards there. Won’t be busting off first downs every run. We can throw those little dink and dunk passes to the sideline hoping our receivers create a lot of yards after catch that we love to do, but OU will be all over that. We can only hope our outside receivers can create separation. We can only hope over the middle nico doesn’t think he will just force them in there like he has been because these guys are 5* dudes that will be reading his every move. All im saying is we are overconfident and that has never got anyone anywhere good.
No one expected us to gash then like Kent State, but our backs are good enough to get chunk plays. Running the ball will have a cumulative affect on their defense, because they're not that deep, especially at tackle. I dont think you understand how the play calling works. Most play calls are setting the table for a big play later, especially in the passing game. CJH picks his spots, and I am confident Nico will find the openings.

Reactions: orangebloodgmc
No one expected us to gash then like Kent State, but our backs are good enough to get chunk plays. Running the ball will have a cumulative affect on their defense, because they're not that deep, especially at tackle. I dont think you understand how the play calling works. Most play calls are setting the table for a big play later, especially in the passing game. CJH picks his spots, and I am confident Nico will find the openings.
It seems like their offense is all predicated on the legs of Arnold. He seems like a good runner but not like game-changing. If he can't win with his arm and the RB's cant produce it makes them very easy to defend. Stack the box and spy Arnold and make him prove he can beat our secondary before the DLine gets to him. Dylan Sampson has played 8 quarters of football being generous. He has in that time he has scored 2 less TD's than Oklahomas entire team. He has rushed for more yards than all their RBs and WR's combined. In fact DeSean Bishop alone 222yards and 3 td's has nearly outrushed their 2 top backs 228yards and 2 td's.

Another thing I have noticed looking at the games (I watched all 3 Oklahoma games to make sure reality matched the box scores). I do not see Houston as being a better team than NC State.. period. Tulane looks to be a better team than Houston but still not better than NC State. Temple is about the same level as UTC. Oklahoma's punter has punted 17 times this year..........they average 6 punts a game vs bad teams.

Temple kept giving OK short fields. that score looks impressive 51-3 right? Oklahoma kicked 3 field goals 2 of them on 1 yard drives. OK scored 5 offensive touchdowns 4 on short to intermediate (5-14 yards) passes. They only had 2 TD drives that didn't start on Temples side of the 50. OK also punted 5 times (one punt by Arnold). Against Temple.... they had 13 offensive possessions and 50 points to show for it. Temple had 14 offensive possessions. You give UT 14 offensive possessions.. heck not this UT last years UT and you are gonna lose 99% of the time.

Houston game. They get held to 75 yards rushing. Punt 8 times. Their 2 TD drives? 1 10 yard completion after a fumbled punt by Houston on the 10 yard line and an 1 yard pass on their only successful 'drive' of the game. Houston had 12 offensive possessions.....Against UT that's an L.

The Tulane game was probably their best game against the best team they played.. so progress. 5 punts. They actually had 4 sustained scoring drives that started on their side of the 50. Outside of a 24 yard run by Arnold which was a full on breakdown by the defense. They had no chunk plays outside of Arnold's two blindman assisted runs.

They have no proven they can make chunk plays. Period. Defenses fall asleep and let Arnold gash them a few times a game that's all of OK's big plays. I think he has like one completion over 20 yards. their longest TD score came on a 24 yard run by Arnold. Everything else 14 yards or less. Scream all you want about how bad our secondary has been in the past, they got beat deep...This team isn't beating anyone deep and those secondaries they have faced are worse than the wort we have had in the CJH era. hate on them as you will all those secondaries had multiple players that are in the NFL right now. I think we can all agree this years version is more talented.

Outside of the crowd noise and them forcing Nico into some early turnovers I do not see a way for that team to beat us. They have to bring Jackson Ross out of semi-retirement and make him have a career day on punting attempts for this to be close. I had almost forgotten we had a punter as he has only stepped on the field twice so far this year.

I think he will definitely make Nico beat him but he is not going to just open up the secondary and put them on islands and just hope Nico doesn't make the reads and throws. He will throw in a ton of disguises and wacky looking coverages that you will think is Cover 1 pre-snap but turns into a Cover 3 or Cover 4 shell with pressure coming from all different places. He will mix it up and he will force Nico to make the tough reads. But it all comes down to player execution and I still think we have too much talent and speed for them to hold us down all game.

Reactions: MDsweetT
I agree with you. Venables, and any other good defensive minded coach, will not sit and watch a team run the ball up and down the field all game. The smart coaches know that Tennessee's offense really gets rolling when the run game is there. If you can stifle our run game and force us to be 1-dimensional, you have a better shot but if their defense is getting gashed in the run game I think we win this one going away in that scenario.

VN Store

Back