Old news...

Neither Lindsay Lohan nor Paris Hilton doesn't have any sense. Nor does Britney Spears.

I'm not interested in discussing string theory with any of them. However, that would not stop me from...:devilsmoke:

The days of incest are over at virtually all of the major programs. Dollars drive the decisions now. The money is too big to be messed up by staying in-house with your hires.

Money was never the leaving factor with Jay. He left to be with Randy Sanders. Some coaches feel more comfortable with people they are used to be around. In this case he wanted to be alongside one of his own coaches from when he played on the Hill. We shouldn't knock a man down cause he doesn't want to stay here and coach. If he thinks this move is gonna better his way of life then so be it. That's what we as humans are supposed to do, make our lives the best that we can.

I know this is old news but I have to wonder why jay graham went to Florida state after finally arriving at his alma mater.

Yes I know this is the 50th thread about it but damn. How can you be one of the best running backs of UT history and leave when legacys are being recruited and you get to have a part in one of the greatest college football venues.

Personally, I wonder if he, as a fsu coach, but as a UT alumni will attend any of our letterman events.

What does volnation.com think?

Personal speculation only. I think this theory fits the facts though.

I don't think Jones had much interest in retaining any of the previous staff but tried keeping JG due to his ties to the program and the need for a little continuity. I also don't think JG wanted to leave badly- he didn't want to go out with the rest of those who were shown the door right away.

However, I think his long term prospects hinged on him reeling in a quality RB. It did not happen so when it came "bidding" time for JG's services... Jones was indifferent. JG understood that subtle message and moved on. There were likely other factors as the coaches began to meet and work together but I think the key was whether or not JG had as much recruiting value as many thought.

I think he had a short "try out" and Jones decided he was not worth the money it would take to keep him.

Last edited:
I know this is old news but I have to wonder why jay graham went to Florida state after finally arriving at his alma mater.

Yes I know this is the 50th thread about it but damn. How can you be one of the best running backs of UT history and leave when legacys are being recruited and you get to have a part in one of the greatest college football venues.

Personally, I wonder if he, as a fsu coach, but as a UT alumni will attend any of our letterman events.

Jimbo gets it more than Butch?

Reactions: 1 person
That's like asking if Charlie Strong would take it easy on the Gators in the bowl game last year because of his ties to FL...

Why would he leave?

Jay probably said, "I do what I can do to help y'all. But the game is out there, and it's either play or get played."

It's all in the game, homie

omar.jpg

I don't think Jones had much interest in retaining any of the previous staff but tried keeping JG due to his ties to the program and the need for a little continuity. I also don't think JG wanted to leave badly- he didn't want to go out with the rest of those who were shown the door right away.

However, I think his long term prospects hinged on him reeling in a quality RB. It did not happen so when it came "bidding" time for JG's services... Jones was indifferent. JG understood that subtle message and moved on. There were likely other factors as the coaches began to meet and work together but I think the key was whether or not JG had as much recruiting value as many thought.

I think he had a short "try out" and Jones decided he was not worth the money it would take to keep him.

Iirc Jones matched or exceeded the FSU offer. Jay didnt jibe well with the new staffs wide open with the choke out approach. His inability to recruit like BJ wanted probably made it easier to say goodybe.

Reactions: 1 person
Iirc Jones matched or exceeded the FSU offer. Jay didnt jibe well with the new staffs wide open with the choke out approach. His inability to recruit like BJ wanted probably made it easier to say goodybe.

I could be wrong but I remembered it differently. The suggestion was that UT didn't match FSU and it wasn't close.

I think he will regret the choice he made..."but" if he didn't get along with staff it might have been best for both parties to cut ties and not let the differences become a distraction to the team during this rebuilding time... jmo

Doesn't matter to me that he left. Did FSU get a big time commitment from a big time RB when he went there? Did TN get a big time commitment from a big time RB after JG left? YES! J Hurd. :eek:k:

Seems like there are multiple versions of the story surrounding Grahams departure.

My impression was that money was not the issue, but Graham did not want to put in the effort required at UT vs. FSU (less travel and a far more fertile recruiting bed in the Seminole's backyard).

Seems like there are multiple versions of the story surrounding Grahams departure.

My impression was that money was not the issue, but Graham did not want to put in the effort required at UT vs. FSU (less travel and a far more fertile recruiting bed in the Seminole's backyard).

Jay is not the first coach to leave for those reasons and I'm sure that was a factor as well as others.

Bottom line, it wasn't about money. UT would match it.

Butch wanted Jay to stay.

Jay was more comfortable working with Randy who he knows than the current UT staff. No different than any of us who had a complete new management team come into our workplace along with new peers. We likely would not feel comfortable. Fortunately, he knows Randy well.

And the efforts at FSU are not near as difficult as coaching at Tennessee. As I said, many coaches have left UT for easier jobs elsewhere

I could be wrong but I remembered it differently. The suggestion was that UT didn't match FSU and it wasn't close.

You are wrong...in effect Graham left for LESS money...and the same title...but Tallahassee had Randy Sanders...thankfully we didn't
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I agree with most of this, but didn't CBJ offer him a huge raise to $300K before he left? Pretty much what he got at FSU. I think not being given recruiting coordinator position was the breaking point for Graham.

VN Store

Back