Oldest Vol Jersey

Last Year, My dad gave me an original tear away jersey from the UT 1958/1959 team. At the age of 7, he wrote Coach Bowden Wyatt, and asked if he could have anything at all from the team that was UT gear. A few weeks later he got a suprise package from Coach Wyatt thanking him for being a Vol fan...and inside was the #34 tearaway jersey .
Anybody know who would have been #34 in 58-59? Doing some research, but hard to track down...any assistance would be appreciated. GO VOLS !

Reactions: 1 person
Last Year, My dad gave me an original tear away jersey from the UT 1958/1959 team. At the age of 7, he wrote Coach Bowden Wyatt, and asked if he could have anything at all from the team that was UT gear. A few weeks later he got a suprise package from Coach Wyatt thanking him for being a Vol fan...and inside was the #34 tearaway jersey .
Anybody know who would have been #34 in 58-59? Doing some research, but hard to track down...any assistance would be appreciated. GO VOLS !

In a few days you'll know as utsports.com is doing a Vol Jersey Countdown. It lists the player and year that number was worn. Today they're on 40.

BTW, that's an awesome story about your dad.

In a few days you'll know as utsports.com is doing a Vol Jersey Countdown. It lists the player and year that number was worn. Today they're on 40.

BTW, that's an awesome story about your dad.

Thanks for the info Boca! Been waiting on the countdown, almost there... I figured that would point me in the right direction or provide me re clues. Once I get the info on the player, I'm going to have the jersey framed, along with a the letter, a pic of the Player and a pic of Coach Wyatt. Thanks!

BTW, i researched and found photos of the 59 team playing games and the jersey i have matches their uni's. Best photo is the LSU stop on a 2 point conversion to give UT a win and end the #1 LSU 18 game win-streak.

Reactions: 2 people
Thanks for the info Boca! Been waiting on the countdown, almost there... I figured that would point me in the right direction or provide me re clues. Once I get the info on the player, I'm going to have the jersey framed, along with a the letter, a pic of the Player and a pic of Coach Wyatt. Thanks!

BTW, i researched and found photos of the 59 team playing games and the jersey i have matches their uni's. Best photo is the LSU stop on a 2 point conversion to give UT a win and end the #1 LSU 18 game win-streak.

Once you get the name of the player I'm sure you can get in touch with someone in the AD that might be able to track the player down if he's still alive. I'm sure they keep a database with contact info of former players.

Tennessee Football Coaching Staff Shirt -------Actual Genuine Staff circa 1978-1980--made by Russell Athletic. Size XL, in perfect condition,probably never worn. Polyester! Very cool. White with orange collar, orange lettering above and below the orange football. Top that. I gotta get that uploaded. :eek:lol:

Mine is Leonard Little's #1. Wore it the entire 98' season including to the SEC championship and the National Chanpionship.

It was my good luck charm and we have lost every game I've worn it to since.

So its retired to my closet now. I won't wear it again.

If you're still out there, MrVOL2U, that jesey would have belonged to either Sammy Burklow (1956-58) or J.W. Carter (1959-61), depending, of course, on which year it was actually worn. See Vols Jersey Countdown #34 - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics. Incidentally, that has been a pretty good number for Tennessee running backs: James Berry (1979-81), Reggie Cobb (1988-89), Travis Stephens (1999-2001), and Jabari Davis (2002-04).

I have my dads jersey from 1975 it's Cotten and super small from being washed so many times here's a pic of my bro wearing it to a game

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    32.8 KB · Views: 1
I have a Patrick Lenoir game worn Jersey from the late 80s to early 90s. Offensive lineman for Andy Kelly and Heath Shuler.

VN Store

Back