On Rocky Top

KG1821

I know this is a little outdated, but I just finished reading Clay Travis's book, On Rocky Top. For those of you who don't know, it follows the 2008 Tennessee football team and coach Fulmer's firing. It was a real interesting yet depressing read considering how far our program has fallen since then. I was shocked to find out that Clay Travis is (or was) a huge Tennessee fan. I have only been occasionally following him for the past 6 months. I know he catches a lot of flack on here so my question is what happened? It seems like he isn't really a UT football fan anymore. I was just curious to see why because in his book he comes off as such a die hard fan.

Reactions: 1 person
I know this is a little outdated, but I just finished reading Clay Travis's book, On Rocky Top. For those of you who don't know, it follows the 2008 Tennessee football team and coach Fulmer's firing. It was a real interesting yet depressing read considering how far our program has fallen since then. I was shocked to find out that Clay Travis is (or was) a huge Tennessee fan. I have only been occasionally following him for the past 6 months. I know he catches a lot of flack on here so my question is what happened? It seems like he isn't really a UT football fan anymore. I was just curious to see why because in his book he comes off as such a die hard fan.

He is a big Clay Travis fan along life's journey. That orange thing in his garage is just one of the vehicles that gets him where he wants to go.

Reactions: 6 people

There are alot of radio shows in the state of Tennessee that support U.T. So, for him to sell his show, he concentrated on Vandy. To be a Vandy radio sports talk show and to like U.T. would not get many listeners. So, he acts like an anti-U.T. person.

Sorta like some of these dictators in other countries, who try to increase their popularity by appearing to be anti-America. Countries such as Venezula, Iran, Cuba, etc. have dictators who appear anti-U.S. Behind the scenes, they watch American t.v., they used to take vacations in America, their favorite sports team is the Dallas Cowboys, etc. So, they really aren't anti- U.S.

Reactions: 3 people
There are alot of radio shows in the state of Tennessee that support U.T. So, for him to sell his show, he concentrated on Vandy. To be a Vandy radio sports talk show and to like U.T. would not get many listeners. So, he acts like an anti-U.T. person.

Sorta like some of these dictators in other countries, who try to increase their popularity by appearing to be anti-America. Countries such as Venezula, Iran, Cuba, etc. have dictators who appear anti-U.S. Behind the scenes, they watch American t.v., they used to take vacations in America, their favorite sports team is the Dallas Cowboys, etc. So, they really aren't anti- U.S.

In other words......HE IS A SELLOUT :eek:k:

Reactions: 6 people

I know him personally and the above is not even close. He's a huge UT fan and loves the vols. He's trying to be a national sports guy, so he can't be a homer. People wouldnt take him serious if he raved about how awesome we are when we aren't. He's not a Vandy sports guy but he does have to talk about them. Their show actually talks more about the vols. He hated Dooley which is why there was so much hate, he just calls it like he sees it. He just landed a spot on Fox Sports One's version of college game day so I guess it's working. I never understood the hate towards him, he's actually a nice guy. (And no I'm not Clay)

Reactions: 7 people
I know him personally and the above is not even close. He's a huge UT fan and loves the vols. He's trying to be a national sports guy, so he can't be a homer. People wouldnt take him serious if he raved about how awesome we are when we aren't. He's not a Vandy sports guy but he does have to talk about them. Their show actually talks more about the vols. He hated Dooley which is why there was so much hate, he just calls it like he sees it. He just landed a spot on Fox Sports One's version of college game day so I guess it's working. I never understood the hate towards him, he's actually a nice guy. (And no I'm not Clay)

This is more of what I expected. I kinda figured this was the truth. I saw that he landed the spot on fox sports and it makes sense that he isnt as open as he was in his book about being a fan. I don't blame him for hating dooley (obviously). So you're saying he's still a fan then? Just not as open about it?

He's open to it but its just not good business to talk about only one team when there is 119 of them. Whenever I see him we talk Vols football! He's still a huge fan and excited about Butch.

Reactions: 2 people
He's open to it but its just not good business to talk about only one team when there is 119 of them. Whenever I see him we talk Vols football! He's still a huge fan and excited about Butch.

Thanks for the info! He seemed like a nice guy from reading the book, I'll have to check out his first one as well.

No problem, I like the first one too. If you haven't checked outkickthecoverage.com you should. It's his site and its pretty funny. Lots of Bama hate on there.

Hating Dooley doesn't mean he has to flat out be Benedict Arnold on U.T. for the sake of Eskimo kissing Franklin's big azz nose.

Reactions: 5 people
Like I said he can't be a homer. He hates on all teams actually. That being said he does think Franklin is a good coach. I think he's a jealous prick but he has done way more than any coach in their history.

Like I said he can't be a homer. He hates on all teams actually. That being said he does think Franklin is a good coach. I think he's a jealous prick but he has done way more than any coach in their history.

And Franklin hangs his headset on beating the worse Tennessee football team/Head Coach in my lifetime.....that is like beating up the biggest kid that is a quadraplegic :no:

I was just curious to see why because in his book he comes off as such a die hard fan.

Clay knows his audience and does/says things for ratings. He'll find whatever is hottest and/or most irritating for regional listeners, jump on that bandwagon, and enjoy all the calls and website hits. He jumps from one flavor of the month to the next.

I hate to admit it, but Clay knows how to play the ratings game and his followers fall for it every single day. Most of them love to hate Clay.

Clay could be a really good writer and radio host, but he knows the TMZ approach to sports is more lucrative.

Fans just hate the fact that he is honest about the state of their program. Hence the whole he hates UT, when in fact he thought Dooley was a crap hire, which he was . Add that to him giving credit to Franklin, and rightfully so, that is why the idiots ***** about him.

And Franklin hangs his headset on beating the worse Tennessee football team/Head Coach in my lifetime.....that is like beating up the biggest kid that is a quadraplegic :no:

Franklin hangs his hat on winning 9 games at Vandy. THAT IS AN ACCOMPLISHMENT. DO not care we were down nor should he.

He is not anti UT he is anti Dooley, Hamilton, the current admin. How are you not?

He is not anti UT he is anti Dooley, Hamilton, the current admin. How are you not?

I have never heard him say anything really positive about U.T.; however, I only hear him maybe for 10 minutes a week. If I am scanning my radio in the car and I happen to hear him, I will listen to him, then change the station once it goes to commercial.

I hear negative things concerning him from other U.T. fans, and I have heard him talk about his love affair with James Franklin. He is all about Vandy, Vandy, Vandy, so I figured that he was reaching out to the Vandy fan base, by talking negatively about U.T. and positively about Vandy.

Clay knows his audience and does/says things for ratings. He'll find whatever is hottest and/or most irritating for regional listeners, jump on that bandwagon, and enjoy all the calls and website hits. He jumps from one flavor of the month to the next.

I hate to admit it, but Clay knows how to play the ratings game and his followers fall for it every single day. Most of them love to hate Clay.

Clay could be a really good writer and radio host, but he knows the TMZ approach to sports is more lucrative.

Nobody has ever accused Clay of being dumb. I've been around him a handful of times and he's been a pretty good guy. I had a beer with him at Tin Roof on the Strip in '09 before the UGA game and he was a nice guy. That being said, he has really tried to be a SEC shock Jock the past couple of years. Unfortunately, anything that he has written or said about us or Dooley the past couple of years hasn't exactly been false.

Nobody has ever accused Clay of being dumb. I've been around him a handful of times and he's been a pretty good guy. I had a beer with him at Tin Roof on the Strip in '09 before the UGA game and he was a nice guy. That being said, he has really tried to be a SEC shock Jock the past couple of years. Unfortunately, anything that he has written or said about us or Dooley the past couple of years hasn't exactly been false.
ive never listened to Clay and can't remember ever reading an article by him. all i know is that he is hated on VN. journalism is pretty cut throat in the world of blogs and social media. his name gets mentioned a lot on here, so i guess he is playing the game. i always got pissed at Bill King for ripping on Dooley so much. turns out, that he had a point. no idea what either of them have had to say about Butch.

VN Store

Back