On Rocky Top

If you don't like him and haven't read on rocky top it's a good read. It shows you that he really is a good guy and thinks like a lot of us fans after loses especially haha. I will warn you it's depressing considering the last 4 seasons. The book ends with the Kiffin era beginning unfortunately...

I know this is a little outdated, but I just finished reading Clay Travis's book, On Rocky Top. For those of you who don't know, it follows the 2008 Tennessee football team and coach Fulmer's firing. It was a real interesting yet depressing read considering how far our program has fallen since then. I was shocked to find out that Clay Travis is (or was) a huge Tennessee fan. I have only been occasionally following him for the past 6 months. I know he catches a lot of flack on here so my question is what happened? It seems like he isn't really a UT football fan anymore. I was just curious to see why because in his book he comes off as such a die hard fan.

People on here didn't want to hear the truth that DD was a moron that had no business coaching any FBS team let alone in the SEC. Clay went over board bring that point home to the point of being unbearable.

Kind of like Titans fans and Meryl Hodge; the guy was right about Vince but no one wanted to hear it.

Reactions: 2 people
Does your family tree have branches, or just a trunk?

I don't see how you're not understanding this.

I can tell you this much...I am "Always Ready" with a small hatchet to take down your foot high family tree bum.

My opinion of Clay Travis and his love for James Franklin doesn't require a personal shot at my family.

If he was right all along about Dooley why do people here still give him so much flack? Is it his reporting shock jock style? Or just because he believes Franklin is a good coach? (I can't stand the guy but he's winning at freaking Vandy)

Thanks for the info! He seemed like a nice guy from reading the book, I'll have to check out his first one as well.

Dixieland Delight is a much better book than On Rocky Top. I actually didn't care for ORT. I was hoping for more inside info. Instead it was a bunch of how bad fans feel after watching another loss, which I already know quite well.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

If he was right all along about Dooley why do people here still give him so much flack? Is it his reporting shock jock style? Or just because he believes Franklin is a good coach? (I can't stand the guy but he's winning at freaking Vandy)

People here literally think ESPN hates us because of one remark by Chris Fowler 16 years ago...

Opinions are opinions guy.

I can't stand him because I think he sucks
as a talk show host.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

People here literally think ESPN hates us because of one remark by Chris Fowler 16 years ago...

ESPN has to hate us! Why else did Peyton Manning lose the heisman trophy and why is our recruiting class ranked only 4th?....:)

There are those that voted foe Obama on here too that think the country is great shape....takes all kinds huh?

Look, we know you wanted Newt Gringrich and his personal debt in charge of pulling the USA outof its massive post Iraq War debt. But no matter who was elected post Bush, as a nation we would still be an economically rotten mess. The damage had been on-going even before Bush and despite the brief upswing during the Clinton years. As for DD, even a faithful supporter like me has to admit that his departure was best for the UT. As for the ESPN guy who called it when DD was first hired, all power to him. But the fact is, the mess that was and still is at the UT was well entrenched before DD even came here. I marvel that the UT still has a football team in the light of all this. It takes one hell of a university to absorb the all around program and financial mismanagement stomping the UT did and still keep going. Rock on Rockytop!

I am not buying that Clay Travis is a big Vol fan.

1) He loves James Franklin.
2) He regularly bashes the University of Tennessee and you can hear the joy in his voice while he does.
3) He is a graduate of Vanderbilt University Law School.

He only claimed to be a diehard Vol to sell books.

I know this is a little outdated, but I just finished reading Clay Travis's book, On Rocky Top. For those of you who don't know, it follows the 2008 Tennessee football team and coach Fulmer's firing. It was a real interesting yet depressing read considering how far our program has fallen since then. I was shocked to find out that Clay Travis is (or was) a huge Tennessee fan. I have only been occasionally following him for the past 6 months. I know he catches a lot of flack on here so my question is what happened? It seems like he isn't really a UT football fan anymore. I was just curious to see why because in his book he comes off as such a die hard fan.

Fallen since when? Since Fulmer left? He left with a 5-7 record and a terrible recruiting class. I wouldn't say we've "fallen off", rather, maintained.

Reactions: 2 people
Fallen since when? Since Fulmer left? He left with a 5-7 record and a terrible recruiting class. I wouldn't say we've "fallen off", rather, maintained.

I'd think 07. We entered 08 in the top 5. Dont remember exactly but by week 2 or 3 we fell out of the top 25...havent been back since.

Reactions: 1 person
He's open to it but its just not good business to talk about only one team when there is 119 of them.

This.

Will never understand why people who "hate" Clay more than anything care so much what team he's a fan of. He's a writer and a sportstalk guy. He's entertaining. Who cares?

He's a massive SEC football fan like all of us.

And a lot of people here don't know what he actually said, or the fact that he actually voted for Peyton to win the heisman.

I'd think 07. We entered 08 in the top 5. Dont remember exactly but by week 2 or 3 we fell out of the top 25...havent been back since.

Uh what? Tennessee started out ranked between 15-20 in 2008. Nobody had them as a top five team.

Uh what? Tennessee started out ranked between 15-20 in 2008. Nobody had them as a top five team.

You might be right...memory isnt what it use to be. That and what I did to try and forget that whole dang season.
Thankfully GOD blessed me with a very strong liver.

You might be right...memory isnt what it use to be. That and what I did to try and forget that whole dang season.
Thankfully GOD blessed me with a very strong liver.

You're probably thinking of 2005 when they started out the preseason ranked number 3, and ended up 5-6.

You're probably thinking of 2005 when they started out the preseason ranked number 3, and ended up 5-6.

Probably.

I rembemer being in tuscaloosa and losing to the bammers 6-3 that year. Would have loved to of had that 05 defense last year.

Fans just hate the fact that he is honest about the state of their program. Hence the whole he hates UT, when in fact he thought Dooley was a crap hire, which he was . Add that to him giving credit to Franklin, and rightfully so, that is why the idiots ***** about him.

If we beat a team 55-7, Clay would spend the whole time talking about the pick our QB threw in the 2nd Quarter or our fumble.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back