Open Invite to The Wolfpack Fan(s)

May have been discussed here but one of the guys on a podcast related something interesting from Heupel. He said that UTC actually came out with different looks on D that they had not expected or practices for. He said that Nico knows the O so well that he was able to adjust on the fly without a lot of help from the coaches.

LOL. Those DBs are practicing for what UT ran against the Mocs. Wait til they turn it up to hyperdrive.
I meant to add the blue font. Im excited to see what Nico can do saturday. I know our team doesnt need any motivation. They got a good HC in charge of them. Hell, Heupel was pissed we couldnt finish those last 2 drives of the half and we were up 40 😂

I meant to add the blue font. Im excited to see what Nico can do saturday. I know our team doesnt need any motivation. They got a good HC in charge of them. Hell, Heupel was pissed we couldnt finish those last 2 drives of the half and we were up 40 😂
You know who that reminded of? Pat Summit!

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Ok to all the stupid comments about the state of North Carolina… travel will help cure your ignorance. NC is a beautiful state with some great people.

Regarding our game with NC State. Earlier in this thread I said I thought we win 59-24. No disrespect, just a quiet gut feeling that’s probably a tad delusional. I’m gonna retract that …

I think NC State is probably better than that and much will get ironed out from last week. KC Concepcion is as advertised.

However, still see a big win by UT. 45-24 or something like that. 🤷‍♂️

See you guys in Charlotte!

I agree with everything you said except there ain’t no way that Boo or anyone else is going to “lock down” Concepcion. He’ll get his, it just won’t be nearly enough. I also find it hard to believe that Nico is a 4’4” guy but regardless he’s incredibly quick for a guy with Peyton Manning’s dimensions.

Also, @93wolf , as JP mentioned, if you think keeping Nico in the pocket and making him beat you with his arm is going to be a win for you, you will be sorely disappointed. Don’t let the Citrus Bowl and those rushing touchdowns fool you: this kid is not a running quarterback insofar as that means “run first.” He’s an absolutely lethal pocket passer who happens to be a dynamic athlete as well. If he has time in the pocket, bring some gravy, because he will carve your secondary up like a turkey on Thanksgiving.
I never said anybody was going to lock down Conception. Where did you get that lol?

Nico is absolutely 4.4, we’ll see in 2 years at the combine.

I never said he was run first QB. I said he will attack their defense with his legs which will break their 3-3-5 down and their coverage tendencies. A 3-3-5 is extremely difficult to just pick apart unless you’re playing true 11 on 11.

Man why do you keep misreading the words that I’m putting down??

I never said anybody was going to lock down Conception. Where did you get that lol?

I never said he was run first QB. I said he will attack their defense with his legs which will break their 3-3-5 down and their coverage tendencies. A 3-3-5 is extremely difficult to just pick apart unless you’re playing true 11 on 11.

Second half of my post was responding to 93wolf, whom I tagged.

Reactions: MemphisVol77

A 3-3-5 is easy to pick apart if you are able to run the football. Thats key in this game. Establishing the run. People get hung up on Nico's ability to throw the football, i get that, but TN is a run first offense.

IMG_2276.jpeg

Just a random comparison.
Iowa played in the BIG championship 2023 and lost to UM 26-0

L #7 PSU 31-0

L UT 35-0

And UT is a much better team THIS year.UT fans may seem overly confident but I think this is a good sample of where our excitement comes from

I do realize the common opponent argument has limited application but it does explain our confidence.

I agree with everything you said except there ain’t no way that Boo or anyone else is going to “lock down” Concepcion. He’ll get his, it just won’t be nearly enough. I also find it hard to believe that Nico is a 4’4” guy but regardless he’s incredibly quick for a guy with Peyton Manning’s dimensions.

Also, @93wolf , as JP mentioned, if you think keeping Nico in the pocket and making him beat you with his arm is going to be a win for you, you will be sorely disappointed. Don’t let the Citrus Bowl and those rushing touchdowns fool you: this kid is not a running quarterback insofar as that means “run first.” He’s an absolutely lethal pocket passer who happens to be a dynamic athlete as well. If he has time in the pocket, bring some gravy, because he will carve your secondary up like a turkey on Thanksgiving.

Keeping him in the pocket is just a general thing you can do to most freshman QBs. Usually they don't like going thru multiple progressions, maybe Nico is different. I've only seen him in the UT game so who knows, but he didn't have to read the defense much that game though. He is still a freshman he will have his bad tendencies that he will need to adjust for. But yeah the opposing team will need to put him in uncomfortable situations.

I come in peace. 37 yo, 2009 grad of State who lives in Charlotte. I will be there Saturday.

Coming into this season, I think most fans had these goals, in order.

Win 10 games
Make/win the acccg
Make the cfp

In order to do that, we see the need to accomplish 2 of the following 3 feats. In order; 1. Beat Clemson in DV in week 4. 2. Go undefeated(8-0) after Clemson. 3. Beat UT.

You all might have anecdotes of State fans talking about being super confident about this week but we as a fan base see them as the drunk guy at the bar who is mouthing off. COULD State win Saturday? Its possible. But not likely. I think most State fans reasons for hope are 1. UT hanging 50+ on an FCS team and still being mediocre is a thing. 2. UT looked great week 1 last year too and followed that up with a squeaker against Austin Peay and loss to UF. 3. We hope our rustiness was due to multiple transfers and looking ahead to week 2.

As far as personnel, offense, we are still getting to know them. Qb, 2 of top 3 rb, 2 of top 4 wr, te, and C are all transfers. The one offensive weapon we had last year is back, slot WR Kevin Concepcion. He'll catch passes down the field, take handoffs, reverses, screens etc. 120 yards of offense and 2 tds is par for the course for him. Your dc is going to key off of him this week. Our hope is that the wrs, te, and rbs State picked up will take some pressure off of him. After one game, that doesnt appear to be the case...120 yards and 3 tds on thursday.

Defense: state fans typically expect a top 4 acc defense every year. Tony Gibson 3-3-5 has been here since 2019 and for most of those years, hes had high level linebacker play, with multiple all acc selections and culminating in a acc dpoy/bednarik/butkus winner in Payton Wilson last year. We're not sure if we have anywhere close to that production this season but our heir apparent(Fordham) dropped a pic 6, recorded a tackle, and got ejected all in 5 plays on Thursday. From most accounts, most of the transfer NIL was spent on the 2ndary and that is seen as the strength of the defense at the moment.

As I mentioned, most State fans saw this as our hardest game coming into the season. This weekend reinforced that. A lot of us were flipping back and forth between UTCvsTenn and ClemvsUGA early Saturday. We ended up locked into the Clemson game bc that seems the more likely win in the next month that will help unlock the aforementioned goals.

PSA: Have a great time in Charlotte. Lots of good bar/brewery/restaurants to choose from near the stadium. Don't spend too much in the stadium...everyone hates David Tepper(Panthers owner). Don't give him too much extra money.
Welcome to the board! Here’s to a good game this weekend.

Honest question: in your opinion, why have you all struggled so much with Wake Forest the last 7 years?

You still think doesn’t run 4.4?
He was running away from their DBs today

He still has a long way to go, but this game finally offered him some adversity.
He got better today.
He’s what I like to call “plenty fast.” Lol. What that translates to in the 40 I don’t know.

VN Store

Back