Orange white

Let me start with the accolades from a fan's/former coach's point of view. I was greatly impressed with C-Mo's bat but also his attitude is so much better. He walked away twice when he would have fought in the past and I hear he is much better in the lockerroom. Bargo stood out to me with bat but I don't know where he plays in field. Villeneuve hit well also. But both played first and I'm guessing first is locked up. I think there were some who earned the ability to stay on the roster this weekend that were on the brink before this weekend. I also think some confirmed to others, I've not seen much this fall, that they will be redshirted. There were some that are just not ready to play in SEC.
When it comes to SS, I think both that played this weekend would be adequate, C-Mo and Antigua, but C-Mo wins that battle due to bat by a long shot. But I am told the one who will start is the one that is hurt and did not play this weekend so I cannot speak to that since I did not see him play. If so, then C-Mo goes to 2nd. I don't know what you do with Alex Perry who has a good bat and good glove and Antigua who has a good glove but lacks in batting strength. That will be the question for the season. Do you play the person with the glove or the person with the bat almost at every position.
The pitcher that impressed was AJ Russell. I think he is the front runner for Friday if I went just off this weekend. Some who were expected to compete for starter or strong bullpen time struggled this weekend. You never know with some of the returners if they are really motivated by these weekends or just finishing up a long hard fall and ready to get to a rest period and then fire it up for spring. I would also say there were some pitchers who pitched themselves in the redshirt list.
I'm guessing Amick plays third. Dylan will play LF, Ensley CF, I don't know in RF. It will be the battle. KT did not hit well this weekend so I cannot say on that. There were several OF'ers who hit well and played well so whether they beat out KT or he gets the right to start and play himself to keep a spot or out of spot. Cal as C and Burke as 1st. The problem I have heard all fall is what I saw. There are a lot of guys with great bats. The problem is you can't put them all in the field. I'm afraid some well-known guys might have to step up or they will lose their spots. The DH spot should be loaded this year.
NOW! If there was great team unity before this weekend, it did not show this weekend. I would have lost my mind if a player tried to charge the mound on one of my starting pitchers who is his teammate. I would also feel the same way if a pitcher hit a teammate in the head and did not go check on him or if a pitcher was talking smack to a teammate like one was. That was definitely the take away for me when your own fans are booing your behavior on the field in an intersquad scrimmage. I was not a fan of the trash talk like it was LSU when it ultimately is your teammates. I hope they can work through some stuff. There were 2 new players who did not show any team unity this weekend. I hope it can be fixed. Again, not everyone but a few.
My overall is I did not see the fielding that I think we will need with our pitching staff. We will be top 10 but not #1 until we get some fielding issues worked out. We take very bad angles in the outfield and misplay some easy balls in the infield at times. We had way too many infield hits but I'm guessing that may be due to playing on real grass versus our turf.
Pitching was adequate but we will struggle without great fielding. Not too many just strikeout guys but guys who make you put balls in play and weak outs if you take them. Hitting will be very good. We will outscore a lot of teams. Overall for fall ball intersquad we should be top 5 in the first polls. I think LSU and Wake are the teams to beat. Vandy also seems loaded. I would not be disappointed with top 10.
Hmmmm. Dissension in the locker room. Woulda thunk it?

Understand it happens all the time in football you just don’t normally see it in baseball. A little in basketball. Guys feel like they have to prove something rather than just let their playing do the talking. Some always take innersquad too seriously. But some feel like it all hinges on this weekend

Let me start with the accolades from a fan's/former coach's point of view. I was greatly impressed with C-Mo's bat but also his attitude is so much better. He walked away twice when he would have fought in the past and I hear he is much better in the lockerroom. Bargo stood out to me with bat but I don't know where he plays in field. Villeneuve hit well also. But both played first and I'm guessing first is locked up. I think there were some who earned the ability to stay on the roster this weekend that were on the brink before this weekend. I also think some confirmed to others, I've not seen much this fall, that they will be redshirted. There were some that are just not ready to play in SEC.
When it comes to SS, I think both that played this weekend would be adequate, C-Mo and Antigua, but C-Mo wins that battle due to bat by a long shot. But I am told the one who will start is the one that is hurt and did not play this weekend so I cannot speak to that since I did not see him play. If so, then C-Mo goes to 2nd. I don't know what you do with Alex Perry who has a good bat and good glove and Antigua who has a good glove but lacks in batting strength. That will be the question for the season. Do you play the person with the glove or the person with the bat almost at every position.
The pitcher that impressed was AJ Russell. I think he is the front runner for Friday if I went just off this weekend. Some who were expected to compete for starter or strong bullpen time struggled this weekend. You never know with some of the returners if they are really motivated by these weekends or just finishing up a long hard fall and ready to get to a rest period and then fire it up for spring. I would also say there were some pitchers who pitched themselves in the redshirt list.
I'm guessing Amick plays third. Dylan will play LF, Ensley CF, I don't know in RF. It will be the battle. KT did not hit well this weekend so I cannot say on that. There were several OF'ers who hit well and played well so whether they beat out KT or he gets the right to start and play himself to keep a spot or out of spot. Cal as C and Burke as 1st. The problem I have heard all fall is what I saw. There are a lot of guys with great bats. The problem is you can't put them all in the field. I'm afraid some well-known guys might have to step up or they will lose their spots. The DH spot should be loaded this year.
NOW! If there was great team unity before this weekend, it did not show this weekend. I would have lost my mind if a player tried to charge the mound on one of my starting pitchers who is his teammate. I would also feel the same way if a pitcher hit a teammate in the head and did not go check on him or if a pitcher was talking smack to a teammate like one was. That was definitely the take away for me when your own fans are booing your behavior on the field in an intersquad scrimmage. I was not a fan of the trash talk like it was LSU when it ultimately is your teammates. I hope they can work through some stuff. There were 2 new players who did not show any team unity this weekend. I hope it can be fixed. Again, not everyone but a few.
My overall is I did not see the fielding that I think we will need with our pitching staff. We will be top 10 but not #1 until we get some fielding issues worked out. We take very bad angles in the outfield and misplay some easy balls in the infield at times. We had way too many infield hits but I'm guessing that may be due to playing on real grass versus our turf.
Pitching was adequate but we will struggle without great fielding. Not too many just strikeout guys but guys who make you put balls in play and weak outs if you take them. Hitting will be very good. We will outscore a lot of teams. Overall for fall ball intersquad we should be top 5 in the first polls. I think LSU and Wake are the teams to beat. Vandy also seems loaded. I would not be disappointed with top 10.
Are you expecting Denton to win a spot in the infield? DH? Or is he not going to be healthy?

I'm not worried about the locker room. I'm sure Tony is not either. They have a way of working themselves out. I know that I wrote on VolNation a year or so ago on this same issue when it came up. I mentioned that I don't remember a "perfect harmonious" locker in my career (high school, UT, and pro). Lots of different personalities in there. Heck, in the pros I barely knew 1/2 the locker room. Didn't matter. Game time mattered. I had lunch with one of the everyday starters this week. The report out of him was everything is fine, and he was excited for the season. So I'll go with that.

And reading between the lines from Preacherman's post above the "issue or issues" have been removed. 3 months till Showtime !!! Go Vols.

Pitching was adequate but we will struggle without great fielding. Not too many just strikeout guys but guys who make you put balls in play and weak outs if you take them. Hitting will be very good. We will outscore a lot of teams. Overall for fall ball intersquad we should be top 5 in the first polls. I think LSU and Wake are the teams to beat. Vandy also seems loaded. I would not be disappointed with top

I thought Tears had 2 hits on Thursday, did not see him rest of weekend
Not sure Catcher is settled yet, we have better bats than what we settled for last year, and not sure we can field a lineup of a given out each time
I know Burke is a returning starter, ( world of potential)however Bargo and Villeneuve both are good bats and need to play

VN Store

Back