Our first sec game

white65

I'm 19 and it seems like as long as I can remember Florida has been our first conference game. Lately that hasn't turned out well for us. starting (0-1) in conference the last 8 eight years. I didn't have to research that btw espn has brought it up all week. Could we possibly switch the Florida game with vandy or kensucky? It would help the teams confidence for the year,(I'm not saying switch by saturday but in a few years) and give us more time to fix some problems and find answers before we play a quality opponent.

Last edited:
I'm 19 and it seems like as long as I can remember Florida has been our first conference game. Lately that hasn't turned out well for us. starting (0-1) in conference the last 8 eight years. I didn't have to research that btw espn has brought it up all week. Could we possibly switch the Florida game with vandy or kensucky? It would help the teams confidence for the year, and give us more time to fix some problems and find answers before we play a quality opponent.

We did play them in December after 911 and won. This arguement has been going for a long time. I think it doesn't matter when you play UF. You either have the squad ton eat them or don't. Baring injuries, dates really don't matter. By the fourth game of the season you are what you are. No practice will help that

Reactions: 1 person
Actually, I am not sure if it is next year or the year after we play Florida in October I believe and start playing Vandy last again. I dont think we would ever play Vandy in September, just think playing them in November is just the right thing to do.

I'm 19 and it seems like as long as I can remember Florida has been our first conference game. Lately that hasn't turned out well for us. starting (0-1) in conference the last 8 eight years. I didn't have to research that btw espn has brought it up all week. Could we possibly switch the Florida game with vandy or kensucky? It would help the teams confidence for the year,(I'm not saying switch by saturday but in a few years) and give us more time to fix some problems and find answers before we play a quality opponent.

I know Florida has the longest streak going right now, but Tennessee has struggled with everybody of note the last several years

Think that changes next year. Dont remember exactly but I wanna say the fl game is moving to the sec week in oct.

We always played weaker teams in the later portions of the schedule from a S.E.C. stand point back in the 1990's and early 2000's....those teams did not have the athletes we had back then so we roled them usually pretty good. With all that said...Florida had Spurrier and he had Fulmer's #. We always got out coached in those games....especially the ones when Bob Stoops was Spurrier's D.C. Well that is just my opinion on it.

So basically you're asking everyone to give UT an easy game to start with. Come on now...UT can't get everything it wants. Pretty much every SEC team would like that. Can't do it for everyone though.

But yeah, they should change it up and make it a game that switches opponents every other year or something.

Hate to break it to you, but we don't play them first starting next season.

We play them in October, the week after the Georgia game.

We did play them in December after 911 and won. This arguement has been going for a long time. I think it doesn't matter when you play UF. You either have the squad ton eat them or don't. Baring injuries, dates really don't matter. By the fourth game of the season you are what you are. No practice will help that

:ermm:

Florida is such a talent rich state, we have an up hill battle competing for recruits, it's always been that way.
Tennessee has always had to use a much more broad area across the country for recruiting to compete with the likes of Florida and Georgia, LSU and Bama. Butch seems to have us on track in recruiting, thus I don't think it will really matter in the future when we play the Gators if his recruiting success continues.

Florida is such a talent rich state, we have an up hill battle competing for recruits, it's always been that way.
Tennessee has always had to use a much more broad area across the country for recruiting to compete with the likes of Florida and Georgia, LSU and Bama. Butch seems to have us on track in recruiting, thus I don't think it will really matter in the future when we play the Gators if his recruiting success continues.

Well one good thing about it atleast we are starting to see some good players come out of state. Recurting has been picking up in TN the last couple of yrs now we just need to keep them home. But your right Florida and Georgia are always going to have a leg up because the always have a lot of quality players but the good thing about is they can't take them all. GO VOLS!

It's been brought up on here all week as well. Enough with the "ESPN hates us crap!"

As far as helping UT's confidence, how about winning?! That seems to help.

What you're proposing is taking the wimpy viewpoint. Why don't we just put UT in the KIL instead of the SEC? I'm sure they would fare better against West, Bearden, and Farragut than UF, UGA, and Bama....but anything to make you feel better about the team.

It's been brought up on here all week as well. Enough with the "ESPN hates us crap!"

As far as helping UT's confidence, how about winning?! That seems to help.

What you're proposing is taking the wimpy viewpoint. Why don't we just put UT in the KIL instead of the SEC? I'm sure they would fare better against West, Bearden, and Farragut than UF, UGA, and Bama....but anything to make you feel better about the team.

Pretty much this. I'm not harping on the OP but I've been hearing this crap for years, and basically it comes across as whining to me. So what they're the first SEC game, we're usually the first SEC game for them too, and it never seems to hurt them much.

Reactions: 2 people

Play them after UGA next year

Considering how the rest of the SEC is shaping up, I'd say I'm glad it's Florida right now. There's at least 5 teams or more arguably better then them in the SEC ATM.

Considering how the rest of the SEC is shaping up, I'd say I'm glad it's Florida right now. There's at least 5 teams or more arguably better then them in the SEC ATM.

Great point!

The OP doesn't remember but UT's 1st SEC game was UGA, followed by UF. Now that was tough.

VN Store

Back