Our o line...

OrangeWayOfLife

Is overrated. Hate to say it but we couldn't get more than 3 yards a carry and they were running three down lineman a lot. Bray and Worley both seem to feel the pressure good and have good presents. Worley just happens to be a terrible passer, I know. But low sacks is what everybody points to on this o line

Reactions: 2 people
I thought we avg 4 yds/carry.

and btw, doesn't matter how many dl are down when they are playing man coverage against our private school wr's and sending lb's directly upfield after the rb because they know the qb won't keep it

Reactions: 1 person
We averaged 4.7 yards per carry. The O-line was completely dominating Oregon's D-line.

The problem was that Oregon moved a bunch of guys up into the box to stop the run. And Worley never showed that he could take advantage and throw the deep ball. Can't blame this one on the O-line; they played great.

I also never understand our running plays either. Instead of just lining up and running north and south, we tried too many east/west type runs. That allowed the speed of Oregon to really shut them down. Of all the things that went wrong yesterday, the offensive line was the last.

We averaged 4.7 yards per carry. The O-line was completely dominating Oregon's D-line.

The problem was that Oregon moved a bunch of guys up into the box to stop the run. And Worley never showed that he could take advantage and throw the deep ball. Can't blame this one on the O-line; they played great.

Our passing plays were not good either...

Probably are overrated.. Doesn't help the QB can't run or pass though. Kind of defeats the purpose of having him back there..

Reactions: 3 people
Wrong system for our guys. Butch is going to run it regardless and develop the younger talent and recruit for it. From what I saw yesterday, the coaching staff is not going to adapt to our strength. I believe they are focused on the future. Hope it works.

new scheme, techniques, qb that can't run the offense, freshman wr's and dancing with the stars in the backfield doesn't make any OL look good.
Oregon's scheme was to get blocked, hold up and let their lb's and safeties get to the ball. When the opposing lb's are faster than your rbs, it's trouble when they send them

Wrong system for our guys. Butch is going to run it regardless and develop the younger talent and recruit for it. From what I saw yesterday, the coaching staff is not going to adapt to our strength. I believe they are focused on the future. Hope it works.

you can't come in, preach brick by brick, install an entirely new offense with a new staff to new players, many of whom are freshmen, and change it up the week of Oregon just to not get beat so ugly. That would equal a clusterf as the offense is already unsure with the current system.

new scheme, techniques, qb that can't run the offense, freshman wr's and dancing with the stars in the backfield doesn't make any OL look good.
Oregon's scheme was to get blocked, hold up and let their lb's and safeties get to the ball. When the opposing lb's are faster than your rbs, it's trouble when they send them

Well said. Our current guys are not right for this system and it is new for all of them. Will see how they do once Butch gets a couple of recruiting classes on board and more reps in his system.

you can't come in, preach brick by brick, install an entirely new offense with a new staff to new players, many of whom are freshmen, and change it up the week of Oregon just to not get beat so ugly. That would equal a clusterf as the offense is already unsure with the current system.

I agree. It will take time to get the right players and current players up to speed.

Oregon actually had 4 guys in the box most of the game. I thought the Tennessee line would push Oregon's line around more, but it didn't happen. That's why Jones admitted Oregon won the scrimmage battle. Oregon hasn't had a d line like that since Ngata 8+ years ago.

Oregon actually had 4 guys in the box most of the game. I thought the Tennessee line would push Oregon's line around more, but it didn't happen. That's why Jones admitted Oregon won the scrimmage battle. Oregon hasn't had a d line like that since Ngata 8+ years ago.

Agree. Their DBs covered really well also. Worley had nowhere to throw the ball most of time and he cannot run with it. He is NOT a read option QB. I'm sure Butch knows this but still wants to get his system in place regardless of the QB.

If Worley was able to throw the ball well enough to hit an ocean we would be singing the praises of the o line.

oh nonsense, clearly we suck!!!!

Agree. Their DBs covered really well also. Worley had nowhere to throw the ball most of time and he cannot run with it. He is NOT a read option QB. I'm sure Butch knows this but still wants to get his system in place regardless of the QB.

He also said we would play to the strengths of our team... Whatever that means. Sure isnt the option without a running qb... I believe in the direction we are going, just not sure I want to run Meyers offense at ut.

While this Vol offensive line is big, talented & experienced, it has never been very good at run blocking. Strength is pass protection, but with talent level & experience at QB & WR where it is, we have the dilemna.

He also said we would play to the strengths of our team... Whatever that means. Sure isnt the option without a running qb... I believe in the direction we are going, just not sure I want to run Meyers offense at ut.

Yes he did and that is what puzzles me because he is not. Must have been coach speak or he did not understand our strengths at the time. He obviously is not playing to the strengths of this team.

While this Vol offensive line is big, talented & experienced, it has never been very good at run blocking. Strength is pass protection, but with talent level & experience at QB & WR where it is, we have the dilemna.

Good point.

Didn't the oline open holes once against WKU and twice against AP? Worley takes too long to find a target and release. Bray was so quick he made the oline look good in pass blocking. They weren't. They aren't. As for blaming the receivers, their routes would have had to be underground to get to the first passes he made yesterday.

VN Store

Back