Our starting OL in 2014

Brave Volunteer

Assuming that CBJ won't be starting any true freshmen (and that Tiny Richardson leave early), here's what I'm guessing the line up will be..

RT: Alan Posey 6'5 321 RS JR

RG: Marcus Jackson 6'2 310 SR

C: Mack Crowder 6'2 283 RS JR

LG: Kyler Kerbyson 6'4 320 RS JR

LT: Marquis Pair 6'5 321 RS SR

Looking at that front 5, I'm not as nervous about next year's starting 5 as I once was. Now obviously it's not as talented as the line we have right now. But they have plenty of size and they will all be upper classmen. I think they could gel and develop into a very good OL.

Crowder, Posey, and Jackson are going to maul on the right side. It could be a very good offensive line with some depth.

I think Mahoney is a great oline coach, which we'll see soon.

Assuming that CBJ won't be starting any true freshmen (and that Tiny Richardson leave early), here's what I'm guessing the line up will be..

RT: Alan Posey 6'5 321 RS JR

Looking at that front 5, I'm not as nervous about next year's starting 5 as I once was. Now obviously it's not as talented as the line we have right now. But they have plenty of size and they will all be upper classmen. I think they could gel and develop into a very good OL.

This definitely makes me feel better about 2014. I was under the assumption that we were gonna regress on the O-line very very much after this season. I'm sure we will, but not nearly as much as I had anticipated. Of course this is a year and a half away, so who really knows?

Reactions: 2 people
Clearly it's not the line we will have this season, but this seasons line has the potential to be one of the best in the country.

It does ease the mind to see it on paper, but we desperately need to get quality OL and DL in here given what we will lose after this year.

If Butch can get a bowl game out of first two season we have a chance to really build something special under him.

I hope that CBJ really embraces the OL because unfortunately that's our only strength.

Our WR's, QB's, and Kickers all have something to prove. However, I'm very, very excited with what Hill is bringing to our running game. Hill might be one of those players that really takes Ahold of the coaching from coach G. and runs like Forrest Gump.

Rt- sanders 310
rg- wiesman 315
c - crowder 290
lg- jackson 310
lt- kerbyson 320

back up tackles posey & pair

back up guards & center thomas & kendrick

Reactions: 1 person
That is right LV, if we get a couple of solid jucos we will be set. Especially if they are ee's.

BV, could you possibly do a thread for the DL as well? Sorry I'm being lazy. :p

Rt- sanders 310
rg- wiesman 315
c - crowder 290
lg- jackson 310
lt- kerbyson 320

back up tackles posey & pair

back up guards & center thomas & kendrick

Yeah Kerbyson is going to shine at LT IMO...Pair could backup there or start at guard depending on progress of the redshirts in this year's class...remember all of the candidates except true freshmen will have had a year of Lawsoncare so the gloom and doom crowd bemoaning our fate...go easy brahs
Posted via VolNation Mobile

RT: Alan Posey 6'5 321 RS JR:

Can we just get thru 2013 before this talk starts. I mean come on....geez.

BV, could you possibly do a thread for the DL as well? Sorry I'm being lazy. :p

Well, unless we pick up some big time JUCO's I'm guessing our starting 4 will probably look like this...

DE: Corey Vereen 6'5 256 SO

DT: Danny O'Brien 6'2 310 RS SO

DT: Alan Carson 6'1 323 RS JR

DE: Jason Carr 6'6 270

Well, unless we pick up some big time JUCO's I'm guessing our starting 4 will probably look like this...

DE: Corey Vereen 6'5 256 SO

DT: Danny O'Brien 6'2 310 RS SO

DT: Alan Carson 6'1 323 RS JR

DE: Jason Carr 6'6 270

Hasn't there been talk of Carr moving inside? And I could see Latroy Lewis becoming a starter at DE.

Hasn't there been talk of Carr moving inside? And I could see Latroy Lewis becoming a starter at DE.

Well I guess it depends on how fast and athletic Carr ends up being. If he has a great first step and is explosive off the line of scrimmage, he may be more valuable coming off the end as a pass rusher. Yeah Latroy Lewis could start as well. However we need depth big time on the DL and we cannot rely on true freshmen to provide it. I'm thinking CBJ will go after at least a couple of quality JUCO guys.

I always liked Chavis/Fulmer's philosophy on recruiting/developing defensive players. Recruit strong safties and running backs to be linebackers, recruit linebackers to be defensive ends, recruit defensive ends to be defensive tackles, and recruit defensive tackles to be offensive linemen. This always puts an emphasis on speed and athleticism at every position instead of pure bulk. When Dooley got here he wanted size size size. That's all well and good but if you are slow and lack athleticism, pure bulk doesn't do you any good. It looks good when you're looking at a roster in a program but on the field it don't mean squat.

Last edited:

I also know CBJ and the his past defensive staffs really liked the use of those hybrid DE/OLB aka Veeen and big DTs. I've even seen them line three DTs and a hybrid DE. Point is, I think CBJ wants BIG d-line with some hybrid OLBs/DE. Hendrix and Carr can be some big boys on the line, but we really need to add some more DTs. I think 2014 will look like this:

LE: Willaims, Lewis
DT: Carr, Carson
NT: O'Brien
RE/OLB/LEO: Veeren, Bynum

This definitely makes me feel better about 2014. I was under the assumption that we were gonna regress on the O-line very very much after this season. I'm sure we will, but not nearly as much as I had anticipated. Of course this is a year and a half away, so who really knows?
We still need to add some linemen. Assuming Tiny leaves we'll only have 8 scholarship OL returning.

I'll be optimistic about the O-Line for 2014 when I see the O-Line for 2014 get playing time in 2013. I doubt they will.

I'll be optimistic about the O-Line for 2014 when I see the O-Line for 2014 get playing time in 2013. I doubt they will.

Jackson and Crower will probably get some reps. The rest will probably only get garbage minutes against the likes of APSU and Alabama State.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back