Pete Carroll on sportstalk

Lane Kiffin owes his hiring, in large part, to the absolutely glowing recommendations he was given by two guys: Pete Carroll and Jon Gruden.

A glowing recommendation was a generous gesture from Gruden, as he had to know that it would cost him his defensive coordinator.

There are a few folks around here who need to hear this (i.e. vol_in_ar, etc.)

...like Jimmy Hyams. He's been bashing him for the last several weeks saying he was 5th or 6th on his list. He also kept telling everyone that he DIDN'T call plays at USC.

A glowing recommendation was a generous gesture from Gruden, as he had to know that it would cost him his defensive coordinator.
I think it showed a couple of things about Gruden. One, he has immense respect for Monte Kiffin and is on board with him finishing his career working with his son. Two, he sees Lane Kiffin as himself 10 years ago.

I think it showed a couple of things about Gruden. One, he has immense respect for Monte Kiffin and is on board with him finishing his career working with his son. Two, he sees Lane Kiffin as himself 10 years ago.

And three, he's a good Tennessee fan.

I almost mistook your keen insight for optimistic homerism. It makes me feel good knowing your buying into this coaching hire.

...like Jimmy Hyams. He's been bashing him for the last several weeks saying he was 5th or 6th on his list. He also kept telling everyone that he DIDN'T call plays at USC.

And pete carroll said he did. Who should we believe? Hmmm

10 years ago Gruden was beginning to build his eventual back-to-back AFC West Champ Raiders, if Lane can produce like that on the collegiate level I'll be pumped.

I am as excited as hell! We are getting one of the most respected D coordinators in the game and it does not end there. Things are looking up fellas.

I'm like what I am hear from Kiffin today and from the folks who know the game. This of course doesn't include some of those talking heads in the media.

And three, he's a good Tennessee fan.

Grudens kids are huge Vol fans. Doesn't CLK have Championship rings? Gruden said in his interview after the Bucs game Sunday that Monte is a great coach and a very good friend he would hate to lose him...

VN Store

Back