Peyton Manning 1st Game Stats & Sampson Tribute

vegasvolfan

Why go back to a place that sold you down the road
Mixing a couple topics into this thread.

I think Peyton’s first actual start was vs. Georgia in 1994? Regardless, I have looked and cannot find his stats for his first start anywhere. Shockingly, I witnessed some negative comments about Iamaleava’s first game on here, so I tried to draw a comparison. Regardless. I am hoping they just forgot the blue font.

My memory could be wrong, but I was thinking Peuton’s first game yardage wasn’t all that high. Perhaps that was because I am confusing his stats against UCLA where he didn’t start. However, I remember how impressive he was and believe his completion percentage was high.

My point ultimately is that I think Iamaleava’s first start is as impressive as anyone’s I have seen at Tennessee.

Also, maybe my listening cap wasn’t on, but didn’t hear anyone pay the tribute to Sampson’s debut today. I am sure it was happenstance, but I think both Huepel and Iamaleava credited everything but the 133 yard rusher during post game interviews. It happens.

So, FWIW, I would like to give props to Sampson who ran for 133 yards during his first start against the #17 team in the country who got there by having a stingy D.

Vols looked REALLY good tonight and still left some opps out there.

I think Peyton’s first actual start was vs. Georgia in 1994? Regardless, I have looked and cannot find his stats for his first start anywhere. Shockingly, I witnessed some negative comments about Iamaleava’s first game on here, so I tried to draw a comparison. Regardless. I am hoping they just forgot the blue font.

My memory could be wrong, but I was thinking Peuton’s first game yardage wasn’t all that high. Perhaps that was because I am confusing his stats against UCLA where he didn’t start. However, I remember how impressive he was and believe his completion percentage was high.

My point ultimately is that I think Iamaleava’s first start is as impressive as anyone’s I have seen at Tennessee.

Also, maybe my listening cap wasn’t on, but didn’t hear anyone pay the tribute to Sampson’s debut today. I am sure it was happenstance, but I think both Huepel and Iamaleava credited everything but the 133 yard rusher during post game interviews. It happens.

So, FWIW, I would like to give props to Sampson who ran for 133 yards during his first start against the #17 team in the country who got there by having a stingy D.

Mannings first start was vs. Washington State. UT won 10 - 9 the TD that was scored was on a Nilo Silvan reverse. A very run heavy game, not much passing.

Ainge talked about it in the pregame. His first start was Washington State. Here is a link:

He was 7 of 14 for 79 yards
So Peyton goes 7 of 14 (50%) for 79 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs ... Niko goes 12 of 19 (63%) for 151 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs.

Looks to me like a good beginning for our new starting QB.

Go Vols!

Anyone that could be 'disappointed' in Nico or Sampson yesterday is not to be taken seriously in any kind of football analysis. Especially when you consider the patchwork OL, subpar WR room, and going up against a pretty good defense with almost all its pieces.

Sampson clearly has to work hard on his pass pro, as that was certainly something CJH took from the game, and Nico's decision making, which was very good yesterday, will only get better. But to come out of that game anything short of positive about the future of the program makes me wonder why anyone would invest any time and energy into this stuff.

Anyone that could be 'disappointed' in Nico or Sampson yesterday is not to be taken seriously in any kind of football analysis. Especially when you consider the patchwork OL, subpar WR room, and going up against a pretty good defense with almost all its pieces.

Sampson clearly has to work hard on his pass pro, as that was certainly something CJH took from the game, and Nico's decision making, which was very good yesterday, will only get better. But to come out of that game anything short of positive about the future of the program makes me wonder why anyone would invest any time and energy into this stuff.
💯
Nico made some decisions that showed he’s a true freshman, but then he made others that made me think he’d been playing for 4 years. He’s got special talent that I’m excited to see grow. Anyone saying otherwise is just a negative person who wallows in self-pity.

So Peyton goes 7 of 14 (50%) for 79 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs ... Niko goes 12 of 19 (63%) for 151 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs.

Looks to me like a good beginning for our new starting QB.

Go Vols!
Also have to factor something else into this comparison of Nico and Peyton: Peyton had played in several games prior to his start and had gotten meaningful minutes against good teams. Nico had gotten mop-up duty along the way this year.

Ainge talked about it in the pregame. His first start was Washington State. Here is a link:

He was 7 of 14 for 79 yards
You can’t compare stats from a game in 1994 to a game in 2024. The game is totally different.

💯
Nico made some decisions that showed he’s a true freshman, but then he made others that made me think he’d been playing for 4 years. He’s got special talent that I’m excited to see grow. Anyone saying otherwise is just a negative person who wallows in self-pity.
I’m curious which decisions he made that you think showed he’s a true freshman? I thought his decision-making was absolutely outstanding. In his first meaningful minutes, he showed poise, command of the offense, and very quick, astute decisions the whole game, in my opinion.

I’m curious which decisions he made that you think showed he’s a true freshman? I thought his decision-making was absolutely outstanding. In his first meaningful minutes, he showed poise, command of the offense, and very quick, astute decisions the whole game, in my opinion.
There were several times where he took sacks instead of throwing away and a few opportunities to throw downfield that he chose to run instead, mostly out of fear of getting sacked. Nothing that warranted vast amounts of condemnation, but definitely areas to grow.

Edit: I also want to see him improve ball handling. He carries the ball a bit loose to where I’m worried it can hurt us a few too many times. Again, not a major issue that can’t be coached.

💯

Yes, and he has quick feet with a long stride, which is a great combination. Kind of reminds me of Tony Robinson running the ball..........

You can’t compare stats from a game in 1994 to a game in 2024. The game is totally different.
QB’s have to throw a ball that has to be caught—perhaps more often with less time to prepare for a play. I think enough is similar to do so, or it wouldn’t be done in any sport when comparing the greats.

There were several times where he took sacks instead of throwing away and a few opportunities to throw downfield that he chose to run instead, mostly out of fear of getting sacked. Nothing that warranted vast amounts of condemnation, but definitely areas to grow.

Edit: I also want to see him improve ball handling. He carries the ball a bit loose to where I’m worried it can hurt us a few too many times. Again, not a major issue that can’t be coached.

Still no one talking about Sampson haha

Dylan Sampson, IMO. is our #1 returning player. He's tough, hungry, quick and wants the ball. 133 yards vs one of ESPN's exalted top Defense's in the country ought to teach the ESPN idiots a lesson in eating humble pie.

Last edited:
Dylan Sampson, IMO. is our #1 returning player. He's tough, hungry, quick and wants the ball. 133 yards vs one of ESPN's exalted top Defense's in the country ought to teach the ESPN idiots a lesson in eating humble pie.

And he's a natural leader. If Bru returns, having solid leadership players like Bru, Sampson, and Mays will only help Nico even more.

No concern about his play. He looked solid for a freshman especially scrambling but I do hope he adds 20 lbs of muscle. He's so tall and frail looking I'm worried and SEC Dline will break him 😂

Nico was the most accurate freshman QB I've seen in a Vol uniform, and that includes Peyton. If he is that accurate all year, he'll be sitting on the front row of the Heisman ceremony later this year.

Sampson is great with the ball in his hands, but he has got to pass protect. He was horrible in pass protection, which probably explains why he didn't play more than he did in the regular season. He'll be the #2 or #3 back next year if he doesn't improve in that area.

Reactions: vegasvolfan

Agree the future is bright Orange. There were a ton of positives as you alluded. There were also things each player needs to improve to reach their potential not only as individuals but as a Team.

Reactions: vegasvolfan

I'm not comparing anything to anything, just responding to the OP, who was wondering what Peyton Mannings first start was.

But thanks for reading between the lines and responding to a nonexistent straw man of your own making. I like having my time wasted.

Nico could have thrown for more yards, we were able to run so that is what we did. A couples dropped passes and then receiver who stopped short on the long pass, he could have easily gone over 200 yards. We didn't need to, so we didn't pass. One drive was totally done by running the ball. Nico looked great and so did Sampson. We should have a better offense next year than this.GBO

VN Store

Back