Peyton Manning 1st Game Stats & Sampson Tribute

💯
Nico made some decisions that showed he’s a true freshman, but then he made others that made me think he’d been playing for 4 years. He’s got special talent that I’m excited to see grow. Anyone saying otherwise is just a negative person who wallows in self-pity.

Keyton dropped/whiffed two that would given Nico another 60 yards and a TD. Sampson dropped a shuttle that would have easily been 20.

Weigh that in? 15-19 for 230~ and 2 TDs plus 3 TDs on the ground.

He's going to be great. I can't wait!

I'm not comparing anything to anything, just responding to the OP, who was wondering what Peyton Mannings first start was.

But thanks for reading between the lines and responding to a nonexistent straw man of your own making. I like having my time wasted.
Glad your time is so important that you spend it on a sports message board. You must be really important…

Dylan Sampson, IMO. is our #1 returning player. He's tough, hungry, quick and wants the ball. 133 yards vs one of ESPN's exalted top Defense's in the country ought to teach the ESPN idiots a lesson in eating humble pie.
Love Sampson. But our #1 returning player is Cooper Mays. He is the anchor of the offense. And might very well be the most important player on offense.

Reactions: posivol
Love Sampson. But our #1 returning player is Cooper Mays. He is the anchor of the offense. And might very well be the most important player on offense.
Well, remember that I said it is my opinion, not fact, that Dylan Sampson is our #1 returning starter next year. Nobody possesses the absolute fact, only their opinion, right??

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
I’m curious which decisions he made that you think showed he’s a true freshman? I thought his decision-making was absolutely outstanding. In his first meaningful minutes, he showed poise, command of the offense, and very quick, astute decisions the whole game, in my opinion.

He took sacks instead of throwing the ball away numerous times. He'll get better at going through his progressions rather than taking off running as he gets more experience. The usual freshman QB mistakes until the game slows down for them.

Mixing a couple topics into this thread.

I think Peyton’s first actual start was vs. Georgia in 1994? Regardless, I have looked and cannot find his stats for his first start anywhere. Shockingly, I witnessed some negative comments about Iamaleava’s first game on here, so I tried to draw a comparison. Regardless. I am hoping they just forgot the blue font.

My memory could be wrong, but I was thinking Peuton’s first game yardage wasn’t all that high. Perhaps that was because I am confusing his stats against UCLA where he didn’t start. However, I remember how impressive he was and believe his completion percentage was high.

My point ultimately is that I think Iamaleava’s first start is as impressive as anyone’s I have seen at Tennessee.

Also, maybe my listening cap wasn’t on, but didn’t hear anyone pay the tribute to Sampson’s debut today. I am sure it was happenstance, but I think both Huepel and Iamaleava credited everything but the 133 yard rusher during post game interviews. It happens.

So, FWIW, I would like to give props to Sampson who ran for 133 yards during his first start against the #17 team in the country who got there by having a stingy D.

Vols looked REALLY good tonight and still left some opps out there.

Any Peyton Manning freshman start stats should also have Branndon Stewart stats in there as well. Half of volnation was clamoring for Stewart to win that qb battle and they alternated all the way through the Vanderbilt game in 94.

Reactions: vegasvolfan
So Peyton goes 7 of 14 (50%) for 79 yards, 0 TDs, 0 INTs ... Niko goes 12 of 19 (63%) for 151 yards, 1 TD, 0 INTs.

Looks to me like a good beginning for our new starting QB.

Go Vols!
He did great for a true freshman. I think a lot of people are probably too high on his performance this bowl game. He’s going to be great I believe but I think there will be some bumps in the road along the way. Has a lot of natural talent (just does some things well that you don’t even coach) and sees the field well. He does tend to hold the ball a little too long.

His progression reads were uncanny for a freshman, that's pure talent, the offense was much more quick to the line also

Keyton dropped/whiffed two that would given Nico another 60 yards and a TD. Sampson dropped a shuttle that would have easily been 20.

Weigh that in? 15-19 for 230~ and 2 TDs plus 3 TDs on the ground.

He's going to be great. I can't wait!
Hopefully his receivers next year, whoever they are, will have better hands than they did this year.

Dylan Sampson, IMO. is our #1 returning player. He's tough, hungry, quick and wants the ball. 133 yards vs one of ESPN's exalted top Defense's in the country ought to teach the ESPN idiots a lesson in eating humble pie.
And if football doesn't work out for him, he's got other skills...

Too soon??

The only issue I saw with him was in pass pro but that can be cleaned up.
IIRC, he also nearly got Hooker killed last year. I know some are slow learners, but by now, if he were gonna get it, one would assume this wouldn't remain such a glaring issue.

The only issue I saw with him was in pass pro but that can be cleaned up.
Interesting thing is I thought Sampson looked kind of small out there. Are smaller backs often used for blocking? Or maybe he was just next to someone really tall like Nico lol

Well, remember that I said it is my opinion, not fact, that Dylan Sampson is our #1 returning starter next year. Nobody possesses the absolute fact, only their opinion, right??
Correct. My opinion is Cooper is the most important. But both are extremely important.

Correct. My opinion is Cooper is the most important. But both are extremely important.
I have to say it’s a tie between Nico, Cooper and Dylan when you consider who isn’t behind each of them lol. That said, each of those rooms will be much thinner next year.

Reactions: BigOrangeTrain
Also have to factor something else into this comparison of Nico and Peyton: Peyton had played in several games prior to his start and had gotten meaningful minutes against good teams. Nico had gotten mop-up duty along the way this year.
Yep, the situations played in before their first start are entirely different. Peyton got thrown into an early season game on the road at UCLA.The 1st game and nobody expected the Colquitt injury then Todd Helton came in and then Peyton came in for a series as a 3rd stringer, looked like a deer in the headlights the 1st game. Helton got hurt 4th game vs Miss State and decided to give up football for baseball, then Peyton took over and threw a 76 yard TD vs Miss State rest his history. IMO Nico looked crisper than Peyton both very skinny and needed weight, Nico has got better running ability by far, Peyton was and is a great gamer we shall see on Nico so far looks very promising.

Yep, the situations played in before their first start are entirely different. Peyton got thrown into an early season game on the road at UCLA.The 1st game and nobody expected the Colquitt injury then Todd Helton came in and then Peyton came in for a series as a 3rd stringer, looked like a deer in the headlights the 1st game. Helton got hurt 4th game vs Miss State and decided to give up football for baseball, then Peyton took over and threw a 76 yard TD vs Miss State rest his history. IMO Nico looked crisper than Peyton both very skinny and needed weight, Nico has got better running ability by far, Peyton was and is a great gamer we shall see on Nico so far looks very promising.
That’s a lot of good observation. Agree with you on everything.

VN Store

Back