Peyton Manning: The best football clinic speech of the off-season

I'm trying to break down Cutcliffe's terminology here:

Flip Right Duo, X-Motion, Fake Roll 98 Block Pass Special

Flip- Either it means we are resetting the TE pre-snap or
the name of the formation is right, and we are now telling the offense to run the formation strong left.

Duo- Probably a twins set, telling X and Z to align on the same side of the field.

X-Motion- obviously a motion, probably towards the line of scrimmage as if he's going to seal the playside DE or LB.

Fake Roll- Bootleg?

98- Either it's the name of the run play that we are faking, or it's the name of the route combination that we are running.

Block Pass Special- Name of the pass protection, maybe. Or maybe special is a tag on the 98 route.

Very close...

Flip - tight end lines up weak side

right duo - y and z receivers line up right side and duo is how they set on line of scrimmage

x motion - x receiver goes in motion from left to right

fake roll - this is play action boot leg

98 - 9 is what cutcliff's offense called the tailback. he called the FB a 6. 8 is the assigned running hole...2, 4, 6, 8. the 8 hole is really a stretch run

blk pass - is pass blocking. this is the assignment of the back to block strong side cause the 8 hole is to the strong side. weird how coach cut called it backwards. sure he had his reasons cause he's the best in the business.

Special - the pass routes for receivers

x goes in motion and then runs a stick route
y inside drag
z post route

Very close...

right duo - y and z receivers line up right side and duo is how they set on line of scrimmage

98 - 9 is what cutcliff's offense called the tailback. he called the FB a 6. 8 is the assigned running hole...2, 4, 6, 8. the 8 hole is really a stretch run

blk pass - is pass blocking. this is the assignment of the back to block strong side cause the 8 hole is to the strong side. weird how coach cut called it backwards. sure he had his reasons cause he's the best in the business.

y inside drag
z post route

Thanks for the break down. I like Cut uses the 90 series as his RB run plays. Most people hear 90 and expect a pass or a screen.

I've got to ask, how do you know that much about his terminology? Did you play for him?

Thanks for the break down. I like Cut uses the 90 series as his RB run plays. Most people hear 90 and expect a pass or a screen.

I've got to ask, how do you know that much about his terminology? Did you play for him?

I'm guessing he stayed at a Holiday Inn Express last night!

Seriously, I'm curious as well. It sounds like a lot of unconnected rambling but when you look at each part as an assignment it makes sense.

No.....just kinda the man on NCAA football...lol! I have his complete 1997 play book. I played a little football as a QB and we used some of the terminology like flip for flipping the TE. Later on Cutcliff changed that and went to colors and calling the play right or left for the TE. like for example a play would be...left green right 94 blast. breaking that down.. Left (TE left side of line) Green (I -formation) right (FB lines up off of the QB's right hip in between the guard and tackle) 94 blast (RB hits the 4 hole hard). He started using colors for tailback and fullback alignments.

Last edited:
1. John Ward is the pinnacle for sportscasters. Right up there with Mel Allen, Jack Buck, Pat Summerall, and Dick Enberg for me.
2. John Anderson is the perfect compliment to Ward. Vastly under-rated IMO.

1. John Ward is not "right up there" with anyone!! All of those guys are great but John Ward was the greatest!
2. It's BILL Anderson and you should have your Vol card revoked for missing that one!! "Uh, there again, John....."

Think about this: how lucky we were to not only see him play as a Vol, but see him continue to pay dividends as the greatest ambassador to Vol football of our time. In my opinion, he'll go down as the greatest Vol,ever, when it's all said and done. Right there with Neyland, or dare I say better, for what he'll mean to The University of Tennessee.

Reactions: 1 person
Are you professing your love for Flipdaddy?

With everything else going on in the world of sports I guess we're to be supportive. :salute:

Eh, sorry, this one went right over my head. (I'm way out of the local references loop.)

Just saying that I like QB's who go into the film room, settle down, and analyze stuff. :hi:

Eh, sorry, this one went right over my head. (I'm way out of the local references loop.)

Just saying that I like QB's who go into the film room, settle down, and analyze stuff. :hi:

I was just messing with you. It's all good.

My buddy went to the clinic and told the story of that video introduction the day Peyton spoke. IMO, one of the most amazing parts of Peyton's request o Joe was left out: he told Joe the quarter and approximate time remaining on game clock to find the play. Peyton missed by 4 seconds.

Reactions: 1 person
Very close...

y inside drag
z post route

Just a question...what in the call tells the OL what to do?? Thx. :hi:

Just a question...what in the call tells the OL what to do?? Thx. :hi:

The 98 makes them block like it's a stretch run to the strong/ even side. The strong guard hears fake roll 98 and knows to pull to weak side. The running back seals the hole left by the pulling guard.

On play action the OL blocks like a run to sell the play. It's only complicated for the QB. Example... all the running back hears is the snap count and fake roll 98 block pass. He could care less about right duo and left this or right that.

Last edited:
No.....just kinda the man on NCAA football...lol! I have his complete 1997 play book. I played a little football as a QB and we used some of the terminology like flip for flipping the TE. Later on Cutcliff changed that and went to colors and calling the play right or left for the TE. like for example a play would be...left green right 94 blast. breaking that down.. Left (TE left side of line) Green (I -formation) right (FB lines up off of the QB's right hip in between the guard and tackle) 94 blast (RB hits the 4 hole hard). He started using colors for tailback and fullback alignments.

So he started color coding his formations like a lot of west coast/air raid teams do. Very nice. I appreciate the insight.

So he started color coding his formations like a lot of west coast/air raid teams do. Very nice. I appreciate the insight.

Yes...then they had calls such as omaha, thunder, smoke, 22 texas, jet, ...etc... got real complicated to the normal person in the late late 90's. Your constantly having to change terminology. Also Coach Cut would have 3 to 4 signal callers. Right before he would get in the golf cart to head to the pressbox he would tell one of the signal callers that they were the hot caller. The offense would also be informed right before they took the field. They are actually watching one person. If he felt like the other team was catching on to who was "hot" he would change to another signal caller. I have personally witnessed this. Very cool and organized. I'm sure most schools have done something similar. I hate the big posters with presidents and actors on them. Looks stupid and I personally think they are decoys.

Yes...then they had calls such as omaha, thunder, smoke, 22 texas, jet, ...etc... got real complicated to the normal person in the late late 90's. Your constantly having to change terminology. Also Coach Cut would have 3 to 4 signal callers. Right before he would get in the golf cart to head to the pressbox he would tell one of the signal callers that they were the hot caller. The offense would also be informed right before they took the field. They are actually watching one person. If he felt like the other team was catching on to who was "hot" he would change to another signal caller. I have personally witnessed this. Very cool and organized. I'm sure most schools have done something similar. I hate the big posters with presidents and actors on them. Looks stupid and I personally think they are decoys.

If you ever get the chance to read Malzhauns Hurry up, no huddle: an offensive philosophy, he goes into great detail about how hey call plays from the sideline.

Apparently the board is only live for pass plays and the signal caller is only live for runs and play actions. I don't remember where screens were thrown in to the mix.

But I did like it. We just have two signal callers on the sideline. One is live, the other is a decoy

If you ever get the chance to read Malzhauns Hurry up, no huddle: an offensive philosophy, he goes into great detail about how hey call plays from the sideline.

Apparently the board is only live for pass plays and the signal caller is only live for runs and play actions. I don't remember where screens were thrown in to the mix.

But I did like it. We just have two signal callers on the sideline. One is live, the other is a decoy

Very cool! I'll check it out.

VN Store

Back